News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Randy Wells Splooge-a-thon  ( 37,782 )

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Randy Wells Splooge-a-thon
« Reply #150 on: August 04, 2009, 12:41:16 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on August 04, 2009, 11:18:55 AM
Quote from: Weebs on August 04, 2009, 11:13:10 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 04, 2009, 11:02:51 AM
Who's even close to being in competition with Wells?  Tommy Hanson?  Wells' numbers are better.  Ryan Hanigan?  Absolutely no power, even for a catcher.

I was trying to think of someone last night.  There's really nobody in the NL this year other than Hanson.  But as you pointed out, his numbers are worse, plus he's pitched 40 less innings.  I saw one website that said Sandoval qualified as a rookie, but I think his 154 PA last year doesn't make him eligible.  The only position players I can think of are McCutchen and Rasmus, both the former hasn't been up for too long and the latter has struggled quite a bit after his hot streak.

Fowler and Happ.

Fowler's not even as good as Hanigan, whom I already summarily dismissed with some twitches of my fingers.  Happ's a good call, though.  He'll get a lot of attention for (1) the nifty W-L record, (2) playing on the East Coast, and (3) playing for the defending World Champs.  Both he and Wells are 26.  EERIE, am I right, PA?
Hire Jim Essian!

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #151 on: August 04, 2009, 12:42:06 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 04, 2009, 12:41:16 PM
Who's even close to being in competition with Wells?  Tommy Hanson?  Wells' numbers are better.  Ryan Hanigan?  Absolutely no power, even for a catcher.

I was trying to think of someone last night.  There's really nobody in the NL this year other than Hanson.  But as you pointed out, his numbers are worse, plus he's pitched 40 less innings.  I saw one website that said Sandoval qualified as a rookie, but I think his 154 PA last year doesn't make him eligible.  The only position players I can think of are McCutchen and Rasmus, both the former hasn't been up for too long and the latter has struggled quite a bit after his hot streak.

Fowler and Happ.

Fowler's not even as good as Hanigan, whom I already summarily dismissed with some twitches of my fingers.  Happ's a good call, though.  He'll get a lot of attention for (1) the nifty W-L record, (2) playing on the East Coast, and (3) playing for the defending World Champs.  Both he and Wells are 26.  EERIE, am I right, PA?

Happ might lose his job to make room for Pedro they're saying.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #152 on: August 04, 2009, 12:44:01 PM »
Quote from: BH on August 04, 2009, 12:42:06 PM

Fowler and Happ.

Happ might lose his job to make room for Pedro they're saying.

Well, that would be extraordinarily stupid.
Hire Jim Essian!

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #153 on: August 04, 2009, 12:44:17 PM »
Who's even close to being in competition with Wells? Tommy Hanson?  Wells' numbers are better.  Ryan Hanigan?  Absolutely no power, even for a catcher.

Fowler and Happ.

Fowler's not even as good as Hanigan, whom I already summarily dismissed with some twitches of my fingers.  Happ's a good call, though.  He'll get a lot of attention for (1) the nifty W-L record, (2) playing on the East Coast, and (3) playing for the defending World Champs.  Both he and Wells are 26.  EERIE, am I right, PA?

Pun'd.

Sorry.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #154 on: August 04, 2009, 12:45:14 PM »
Quote from: MAD on August 04, 2009, 12:44:17 PM

Fowler and Happ.

Pun'd.

Sorry.

I considered it and decided against it.
Hire Jim Essian!

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #155 on: August 04, 2009, 12:45:50 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 04, 2009, 12:45:14 PM
Quote from: MAD on August 04, 2009, 12:44:17 PM

Fowler and Happ.

Pun'd.

Sorry.

I considered it and decided against it.

You're a better man than me, my friend.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #156 on: August 04, 2009, 12:55:55 PM »

Hanigan's last RBI was June 13th -- 88 plate appearances ago.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #157 on: August 04, 2009, 12:57:16 PM »
Quote from: Shooter on August 04, 2009, 12:55:55 PM

Hanigan's last RBI was June 13th -- 88 plate appearances ago.

Who does he think he is, Milton Bradley, amiright?
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #158 on: August 04, 2009, 01:00:35 PM »
If we're discussing wins and RBI as criteria for the award, can we just dismiss the award as a sham and move on?

I'd like to think at least Eli is with me.  No?

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #159 on: August 04, 2009, 01:03:25 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on August 04, 2009, 01:00:35 PM
If we're discussing wins and RBI as criteria for the award, can we just dismiss the award as a sham and move on?

I'm with Oleg, height should be the main criteria.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #160 on: August 04, 2009, 01:08:10 PM »

I'd like to think at least Eli is with me. 

I'm with you, fresh off a discussion with a Sox fan who believes Mark Buehrle has had a better decade than Johan Santana because he has more wins.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #161 on: August 04, 2009, 01:21:35 PM »
Quote from: Eli on August 04, 2009, 01:08:10 PM

I'd like to think at least Eli is with me. 

I'm with you, fresh off a discussion with a Sox fan who believes Mark Buehrle has had a better decade than Johan Santana because he has more wins.

Need another Statfag for the Mathhomo train?
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2009, 01:37:54 PM »

Settle down, statsnob. Wells has clearly been better than Happ, but even using statfaggotry it's not completely ridiculous to have Happ in the discussion.

Wells
1.14 WHIP
2.83 K/BB
160 ERA+
3.73 FIP
2.0 WAR

Happ
1.16 WHIP
2.17 K/BB
144 ERA+
4.21 FIP
1.2 WAR

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #163 on: August 04, 2009, 01:41:51 PM »
Quote from: RV on August 04, 2009, 01:37:54 PM

Settle down, statsnob. Wells has clearly been better than Happ, but even using statfaggotry it's not completely ridiculous to have Happ in the discussion.

Wells
1.14 WHIP
2.83 K/BB
160 ERA+
3.73 FIP
2.0 WAR

Happ
1.16 WHIP
2.17 K/BB
144 ERA+
4.21 FIP
1.2 WAR

Okay, my statnaivete is well documented, but FIP and WAR are clearly made-up.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #164 on: August 04, 2009, 01:48:26 PM »
Who's even close to being in competition with Wells? Tommy Hanson?  Wells' numbers are better.  Ryan Hanigan?  Absolutely no power, even for a catcher.

Fowler and Happ.

Fowler's not even as good as Hanigan, whom I already summarily dismissed with some twitches of my fingers.  Happ's a good call, though.  He'll get a lot of attention for (1) the nifty W-L record, (2) playing on the East Coast, and (3) playing for the defending World Champs.  Both he and Wells are 26.  EERIE, am I right, PA?

Arguing Fowler vs. Hanigan for ROY is completely useless, so I won't debate it, however I read that ROY qualifications include:
Currently a player is considered to be a rookie, and thus eligible for the award, if the player has accumulated in prior major league seasons:
   * Fewer than 130 at bats or
   * Fewer than 50 innings pitched
   * Fewer than 45 days on the active roster, excluding time on the disabled list, in military service, or time when the rosters are expanded (currently after September 1)

So I just wanted to point out that Sandoval is indeed, ineligible.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.