News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11  ( 157,602 )

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2010 Cubs Free Agent and Roster Moves Thread: SAVEENG OUR KUBBEEZ!!11
« Reply #495 on: November 24, 2009, 02:47:14 PM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on November 24, 2009, 02:43:38 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 24, 2009, 02:08:47 PM
Quote from: BH on November 24, 2009, 01:57:32 PM
Donuts just got a boner. Jose Lopez, Felipe Lopez and possibly Luis Castillo? kaBOOM

"Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times believes the Mariners will try to deal second baseman Jose Lopez this offseason.
The M's value things like on-base percentage and defense, and Lopez isn't particularly strong in either fields. With infield prospect Dustin Ackley on the way, the club can trade Lopez now, while his value is highest, and find a one or two-year solution to fill the hole. The 25-year-old hit .272/.303/.463 this past season with 25 home runs, 42 doubles and 96 RBI.
Source: Seattle Times "

What's the over/under on days until Sullivan writes an article making up a Milton Bradley trade that includes getting those 2 (J. Lopez and Castillo)? 1 or 2?

Zero.

Good post.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #496 on: November 25, 2009, 10:15:46 AM »
Quote from: BH on November 24, 2009, 01:57:32 PM
Donuts just got a boner. Jose Lopez, Felipe Lopez and possibly Luis Castillo? kaBOOM

"Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times believes the Mariners will try to deal second baseman Jose Lopez this offseason.
The M's value things like on-base percentage and defense, and Lopez isn't particularly strong in either fields. With infield prospect Dustin Ackley on the way, the club can trade Lopez now, while his value is highest, and find a one or two-year solution to fill the hole. The 25-year-old hit .272/.303/.463 this past season with 25 home runs, 42 doubles and 96 RBI.
Source: Seattle Times "

Geoff Baker seems to get his writing styles from Chicago: make shit up

QuoteThe Seattle Mariners appear ready to head into 2010 with Jose Lopez as their starting second baseman, according to Larry LaRue of The News Tribune.

The Mariners considered Lopez, who turned 26 yesterday, one of their few trade chips heading into the offseason, but they've received very little interest. Although Lopez is still young and provides power from second base (25 homers last season), his 2009 OBP was exactly in line with his subpar career rate of .303. LaRue also notes that "other teams have seen his lack of range and quickness in the field," though Fangraphs is more forgiving of Lopez's defense (+1.5 UZR/150).

With Lopez virtually "untradeable" and the team unlikely to acquire a better alternative, it looks like the 26-year-old will return to Seattle as their everyday second baseman next year.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #497 on: November 27, 2009, 08:44:13 AM »
QuoteThe Cubs have told current starting shortstop Ryan Theriot to begin preparing for a move to second base.
The Northsiders believe 19-year-old shortstop Starlin Castro is on a "fast track" to the big leagues. He has already been invited to spring training and has an outside chance of cracking the Opening Day roster in 2010. "Ryan feels like if he has to change positions and move to second base, he would have no problems," general manager Jim Hendry said Thursday. "He has made it no secret he loves the Cubs and wants to stay."

It's about fucking time!

Although, hopefully he's moving to second base so we can trade Starlin Castro for Hanley Ramirez straight up.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #498 on: November 27, 2009, 10:02:13 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on November 27, 2009, 08:44:13 AM
QuoteThe Cubs have told current starting shortstop Ryan Theriot to begin preparing for a move to second base.
The Northsiders believe 19-year-old shortstop Starlin Castro is on a "fast track" to the big leagues. He has already been invited to spring training and has an outside chance of cracking the Opening Day roster in 2010. "Ryan feels like if he has to change positions and move to second base, he would have no problems," general manager Jim Hendry said Thursday. "He has made it no secret he loves the Cubs and wants to stay."

It's about fucking time!

Although, hopefully he's moving to second base so we can trade Starlin Castro for Hanley Ramirez straight up.

What becomes of Jeff Baker then?  I mean, I don't think he's a world-beater, but I'd be interested in seeing what he can do over a full season; his second half stats were pretty decent.

.305 .362 .448 4HRs, 21RBIs.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #499 on: November 27, 2009, 11:31:19 AM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on November 27, 2009, 10:02:13 AM

It's about fucking time!

What becomes of Jeff Baker then?  I mean, I don't think he's a world-beater, but I'd be interested in seeing what he can do over a full season; his second half stats were pretty decent.

He'll play at least 100 games at 3B when Aramis goes down.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #500 on: November 27, 2009, 11:34:08 AM »

It's about fucking time!

He'll be a nice piece as a back up infielder - but this Starlin Castro guy smells like Ty Griffin. Did he slay a dragon or something? He's a legend and no one's ever seen the guy play.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #501 on: November 27, 2009, 03:20:27 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on November 27, 2009, 11:34:08 AM

It's about fucking time!

He'll be a nice piece as a back up infielder - but this Starlin Castro guy smells like Ty Griffin. Did he slay a dragon or something? He's a legend and no one's ever seen the guy play.

Maybe, but he's 19 and I find it hard to believe that Castro/Theriot could be any worse than Theriot/Fontenot.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #502 on: November 27, 2009, 03:35:53 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on November 27, 2009, 03:20:27 PM

It's about fucking time!

Maybe, but he's 19 and I find it hard to believe that Castro/Theriot could be any worse than Theriot/Fontenot.

No, definitely not worse. I just find it funny that the organization and the media are telling us that Castro is the next Jeter. I hope he's good but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #503 on: November 27, 2009, 05:25:03 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on November 27, 2009, 03:35:53 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on November 27, 2009, 03:20:27 PM

It's about fucking time!

No, definitely not worse. I just find it funny that the organization and the media are telling us that Castro is the next Jeter. I hope he's good but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Arizona Fall League numbers never lie.

.402/.429/.626 = Mazel tov
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #505 on: November 27, 2009, 06:30:55 PM »

I know Jeff Baker didn't get any hits in the NLDS against the D-Backs, but I'm willing to bet he'd have a better season than Theriot at second base.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #506 on: December 01, 2009, 02:04:52 PM »
Oh, how I love this team. Letting Harden walk is such a great idea.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #507 on: December 01, 2009, 02:11:52 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on December 01, 2009, 02:04:52 PM

I can see not offering arbitration to Johnson or Gregg.  They may not receive multi-year offers and may have accepted arbitration.

But Harden will certainly get a multi-year offer.  I don't think Hendry has quite figured out how this arbitration/compensation thing works.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #508 on: December 01, 2009, 02:14:10 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on December 01, 2009, 02:11:52 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on December 01, 2009, 02:04:52 PM

I can see not offering arbitration to Johnson or Gregg.  They may not receive multi-year offers and may have accepted arbitration.

But Harden will certainly get a multi-year offer.  I don't think Hendry has quite figured out how this arbitration/compensation thing works.

What's the argument here...that Harden should be on the Cubs or that the Cubs should have offered him arbitration (knowing that he'd probably decline and that the Cubs would get a draft pick back).

Because the latter is okay, but I can't really get behind the former when dollars are short and the offense is a much larger issue.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #509 on: December 01, 2009, 02:14:44 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on December 01, 2009, 02:11:52 PM

Even money here that he gets a 1 year deal.  In no reasonable universe does he get more than 2 years.