News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 591,385 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #2490 on: May 06, 2015, 09:15:26 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 06, 2015, 09:06:17 AM
Quote from: Eli on May 06, 2015, 08:45:49 AM
Quote from: PANK! on May 06, 2015, 08:26:50 AM
Though it puts me in the double-edged position of agreeing with Chuck while inviting scorn from Andy, I think Starlin Castro will, and should be--for the right deal, which I can only trust it would be--dealt at some point.

I'd still be terrified to trade him for most pitchers because, well, pitchers.

When La Stella gets back and/or Baez returns, time to get Hamels*?

*(I know he got lit up a second time recently, this wouldn't happen until June at the earliest though...can see how it plays out)

I think this is true of just about any non-superstar that you watch on a consistent basis for 5+ years, and I think this was mentioned yesterday, but I just don't get excited when Castro comes to the plate. There isn't the curiosity of watching a Bryant or Russell to understand their approach and watch them develop, or the anticipation of seeing Soler hit a laser beam, or the certainty that Rizzo will have a better judgment of the strike zone than the ump. He's just a guy who when he's at the top of his game hits a bunch of singles with a bit of pop. And defensively he has improved a lot but I know there isn't the potential for a holy shit moment like there is when Russell is involved.

Again, a lot of this is just being excited/distracted by the shiny new thing, but I don't think I'll have too many strong feels if they deal him.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2491 on: May 06, 2015, 09:34:45 AM »
Quote from: R-V on May 06, 2015, 09:15:26 AM
Quote from: PANK! on May 06, 2015, 09:06:17 AM
Quote from: Eli on May 06, 2015, 08:45:49 AM
Quote from: PANK! on May 06, 2015, 08:26:50 AM
Though it puts me in the double-edged position of agreeing with Chuck while inviting scorn from Andy, I think Starlin Castro will, and should be--for the right deal, which I can only trust it would be--dealt at some point.

I'd still be terrified to trade him for most pitchers because, well, pitchers.

When La Stella gets back and/or Baez returns, time to get Hamels*?

*(I know he got lit up a second time recently, this wouldn't happen until June at the earliest though...can see how it plays out)

I think this is true of just about any non-superstar that you watch on a consistent basis for 5+ years, and I think this was mentioned yesterday, but I just don't get excited when Castro comes to the plate. There isn't the curiosity of watching a Bryant or Russell to understand their approach and watch them develop, or the anticipation of seeing Soler hit a laser beam, or the certainty that Rizzo will have a better judgment of the strike zone than the ump. He's just a guy who when he's at the top of his game hits a bunch of singles with a bit of pop. And defensively he has improved a lot but I know there isn't the potential for a holy shit moment like there is when Russell is involved.

Again, a lot of this is just being excited/distracted by the shiny new thing, but I don't think I'll have too many strong feels if they deal him.

Discussion moved to a more apt thread.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2492 on: May 06, 2015, 10:15:46 AM »
Quote from: R-V on May 06, 2015, 09:15:26 AM

It's definitely a "shiny new things" thing. We're all more comfortable with Starlin being dealt (compared to, say, Russell) because we know exactly what he is at this point and can accept that playing out elsewhere. There's of course a chance he'll have some random season where he gets some extra BABIP luck and puts up a .320/.370/.430 line with 22 homers and we'd feel sad. But we'd accept it.

Meanwhile, trading someone like Russell scares us because humans are inherently risk-averse and we're all scared to trade away the next Barry Larkin. And that fear overshadows the possibility that Russell might just end up having a decent but unspectacular career. After all, people forget that Castro used to be a very shiny new thing -- he already had like 330 major-league hits by the time he was Russell's age and people were saying they wouldn't even trade him for Bryce Harper or Mike Trout because future MVP-level shortstops don't grow on any kind of tree.

/my dad is a psychologist

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2493 on: May 06, 2015, 10:20:14 AM »
...I was genuinely upset after Rizzo grounded out with the bases loaded in the 8th.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2494 on: May 06, 2015, 10:40:03 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 06, 2015, 10:20:14 AM
...I was genuinely upset after Rizzo grounded out with the bases loaded in the 8th.

Why wouldn't you have been? 

Oh right, you're a Cardinals fan. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2495 on: May 06, 2015, 10:47:27 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 06, 2015, 10:40:03 AM

Probably because he was afraid any expression of actual anger over this team would have been met with a bunch of people yelling that it's just one game, Theo has a plan,  blah blah competitive window, blah blah why can't you just be happy the games actually matter for the first time in five years (but I mean they dont' matter too much yet, that is, because see the aforementioned windows and plans argument).
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2496 on: May 06, 2015, 10:50:19 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 06, 2015, 10:47:27 AM

Probably because he was afraid any expression of actual anger over this team would have been met with a bunch of people yelling that it's just one game, Theo has a plan,  blah blah competitive window, blah blah why can't you just be happy the games actually matter for the first time in five years (but I mean they dont' matter too much yet, that is, because see the aforementioned windows and plans argument).

Wow.  That's some serious butthurt about being reminded how much butthurt you have.  You could fuel continents with that stuff.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2497 on: May 06, 2015, 10:51:46 AM »

IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2498 on: May 06, 2015, 10:53:58 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 06, 2015, 10:50:19 AM

Wow.  That's some serious butthurt about being reminded how much butthurt you have.  You could fuel continents with that stuff.

Yeah but why are you butthurt about my butthurt about all the people being butthurt that I'm butthurt when the Cubs blow games? It's a butthurt bacon loop, I says.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2499 on: May 06, 2015, 10:54:06 AM »

Probably because he was afraid any expression of actual anger over this team would have been met with a bunch of people yelling that it's just one game, Theo has a plan,  blah blah competitive window, blah blah why can't you just be happy the games actually matter for the first time in five years (but I mean they dont' matter too much yet, that is, because see the aforementioned windows and plans argument).

I was pissed on Monday and I was pissed as shit last night.

I want this team to win and they're good enough to win now, young or not.

Just because they can win for many years to come doesn't lessen the desire to want them to win now.

Or does it? I have to check Twitter to see what the groupthink machine is saying today.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2500 on: May 06, 2015, 10:59:25 AM »
...I was starting to get worried about this place after we'd gone a little while without trying to trade Starlin Castro.  Everything's back to normal now.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2501 on: May 06, 2015, 11:01:55 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 06, 2015, 10:54:06 AM

Probably because he was afraid any expression of actual anger over this team would have been met with a bunch of people yelling that it's just one game, Theo has a plan,  blah blah competitive window, blah blah why can't you just be happy the games actually matter for the first time in five years (but I mean they dont' matter too much yet, that is, because see the aforementioned windows and plans argument).

Just because they can win for many years to come doesn't lessen the desire to want them to win now.

Or does it? I have to check Twitter to see what the groupthink machine is saying today.

Hey if I have to read your petulant spleen-venting over every little thing, then it's only fair you deal with me yelling at you for acting like a roomful of Fro Dogs.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2502 on: May 06, 2015, 11:02:02 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 06, 2015, 10:53:58 AM
Quote from: PANK! on May 06, 2015, 10:50:19 AM

Yeah but why are you butthurt about my butthurt about all the people being butthurt that I'm butthurt when the Cubs blow games? It's a butthurt bacon loop, I says.

Jesus, dude. Calm down. No need for that.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2503 on: May 06, 2015, 11:02:14 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on May 06, 2015, 10:59:25 AM
...I was starting to get worried about this place after we'd gone a little while without trying to trade Starlin Castro.  Everything's back to normal now.

Everybody and their whore mouths.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2504 on: May 06, 2015, 11:02:50 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 06, 2015, 11:01:55 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on May 06, 2015, 10:54:06 AM

Hey if I have to read your petulant spleen-venting over every little thing, then it's only fair you deal with me yelling at you for acting like a roomful of Fro Dogs.

Wait, are you talking to me or SKO?