News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 592,284 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #4275 on: October 12, 2016, 11:05:57 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 12, 2016, 11:00:37 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 12, 2016, 10:53:26 AM
Quote from: Oleg on October 12, 2016, 10:47:42 AM
Quote from: Eli on October 12, 2016, 10:45:54 AM
Quote from: Oleg on October 12, 2016, 10:44:49 AM
...I just really don't understand the public fatalism about your favorite team.  Like, what's the point?  I get the annoying 'have faith' Tweets, etc but why the rush to call your favorite team dead?  Do you think it makes you look smarter when they lose?  Do you think you'll get to point to your Tweets as some sort of a 'told you so' moment that, literally, no one will care about?  Is this some weird race to scoop all other fans?

I'm not talking about the fact based criticism...that's all cool.  It's the absolutist nature of "they're done...forever" mentality about a team you've spent teh past 6 months (and a lifetime) rooting for puzzles the shit out of me.  Like will it be so much more painful to just see how it plays out?  Are you just preparing yourself for the scars of disappointment? Does victory feel better once you've written them off?

I'm serious...what's up with that?
Also, asking for a friend.

Because people feel various emotions about sports and sometimes they like to talk about what they're feeling and how they're processing.

But why project the fatalism?  "I feel angry because of a base hit" seems different than "fuck this team they're done."

I consider myself more of group A than group B in this scenario as I tend to hope to the last while bitching relentlessly anyway (I could not imagine being one of those people who just turned off the game before the 9th, for instance) but I think the public projection of fatalism is kind of a defense mechanism, where if they just say aloud "they're done" they can kind of start to remove themselves emotionally from a stressful situation they can't really handle?

I have no idea who's in what camp.  I'm not angry about any of it...anyone can do whatever they want with their fandom whether I understand it or not.  It's just weird.  I was stressed AF last night.  The panic was set in deeply and nicely in the pit of my stomach.  But to be so public about any declaration that the team is done...man, I don't know.

Quote from: SKO on October 12, 2016, 10:56:44 AM
....I resent being lumped in entirely with the Fatalists. Hell I went back and reviewed my entire stream of gameday tweets and not once did I say they were done, god dammit. The most fatalistic thing I said was "this offense is so fucked right now". The rest were the aforementioned "expressing emotions in real time".

Yeah...this is true.  I think I was assuming things that weren't there and annoyed at a strawman.

It is splitting small, angry hairs but while I am definitely a Rage Tweeter I try to avoid public declarations of 1) THERE DOOMEDDDD 2)I SEEN IT TOO MANY TIMES 3)GOATS SAME OLD CUBS ETC. I prefer to just focus my overreactions on specific plays/players/managerial decisions rather than Generic Cubs Fatalism.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4276 on: October 12, 2016, 11:37:16 AM »
...I just really don't understand the public fatalism about your favorite team.  Like, what's the point?  I get the annoying 'have faith' Tweets, etc but why the rush to call your favorite team dead?  Do you think it makes you look smarter when they lose?  Do you think you'll get to point to your Tweets as some sort of a 'told you so' moment that, literally, no one will care about?  Is this some weird race to scoop all other fans?

I'm not talking about the fact based criticism...that's all cool.  It's the absolutist nature of "they're done...forever" mentality about a team you've spent teh past 6 months (and a lifetime) rooting for puzzles the shit out of me.  Like will it be so much more painful to just see how it plays out?  Are you just preparing yourself for the scars of disappointment? Does victory feel better once you've written them off?

It's a defense mechanism. Watching those tense games where things aren't going smoothly is incredibly stressful. It makes sense that we'd try to protect ourselves from that feeling by dismissing the thing that's causing it. "Oh, well, it's just hopeless then. I guess I can just go to sleep now." Particularly, I can understand people taking that approach if, time and time again, they'd tried to fight through it only to be hopelessly disappointed by the end results.

I'll admit, last night I gave up on the game by the 5th inning. I messaged some friends expressing my doubts that the offense would wake up against Cueto in Chicago. I took some night-time allergy medication to help me fall asleep early. But I fought the sleep until 11:30, and right before I was about to go to bed I checked the game and caught the 9th inning.

I just think my problem is that I really dislike anxiety, and situations that cause anxiety. I don't know that I gave up on the team last night, but certainly I gave up on the game. I can't say I wouldn't do it again, even though I now fully believe that the Cubs are good until the last out.
M'lady.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4277 on: October 12, 2016, 12:21:46 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 12, 2016, 11:05:57 AM
...I just really don't understand the public fatalism about your favorite team.  Like, what's the point?  I get the annoying 'have faith' Tweets, etc but why the rush to call your favorite team dead?  Do you think it makes you look smarter when they lose?  Do you think you'll get to point to your Tweets as some sort of a 'told you so' moment that, literally, no one will care about?  Is this some weird race to scoop all other fans?

I'm not talking about the fact based criticism...that's all cool.  It's the absolutist nature of "they're done...forever" mentality about a team you've spent teh past 6 months (and a lifetime) rooting for puzzles the shit out of me.  Like will it be so much more painful to just see how it plays out?  Are you just preparing yourself for the scars of disappointment? Does victory feel better once you've written them off?

Because people feel various emotions about sports and sometimes they like to talk about what they're feeling and how they're processing.

But why project the fatalism?  "I feel angry because of a base hit" seems different than "fuck this team they're done."

I consider myself more of group A than group B in this scenario as I tend to hope to the last while bitching relentlessly anyway (I could not imagine being one of those people who just turned off the game before the 9th, for instance) but I think the public projection of fatalism is kind of a defense mechanism, where if they just say aloud "they're done" they can kind of start to remove themselves emotionally from a stressful situation they can't really handle?

I have no idea who's in what camp.  I'm not angry about any of it...anyone can do whatever they want with their fandom whether I understand it or not.  It's just weird.  I was stressed AF last night.  The panic was set in deeply and nicely in the pit of my stomach.  But to be so public about any declaration that the team is done...man, I don't know.

....I resent being lumped in entirely with the Fatalists. Hell I went back and reviewed my entire stream of gameday tweets and not once did I say they were done, god dammit. The most fatalistic thing I said was "this offense is so fucked right now". The rest were the aforementioned "expressing emotions in real time".

Yeah...this is true.  I think I was assuming things that weren't there and annoyed at a strawman.

It is splitting small, angry hairs but while I am definitely a Rage Tweeter I try to avoid public declarations of 1) THERE DOOMEDDDD 2)I SEEN IT TOO MANY TIMES 3)GOATS SAME OLD CUBS ETC. I prefer to just focus my overreactions on specific plays/players/managerial decisions rather than Generic Cubs Fatalism.

Oh fuck off
@StartKyleOrton: Fuck everything
@StartKyleOrton: Just fucking kill me
@StartKyleOrton: He's out. Let's just all end this Jonestown style
@StartKyleOrton: I'm sure the Cubs patient ABs will result in a gritty run against Moore before they get shut out by the Giants pen
@StartKyleOrton: This offense is so fucking fucked.
@StartKyleOrton: The real heroes are the people who have been scolding everyone for being downers since the 8th inning last night
@StartKyleOrton: IT'S OUR EVEN YEAR NOW

All that complete horseshit rageahol tweeting like an 11 year old, then an IT'S OUR EVEN YEAR NOW.  Unplug your tv, throw away your phone, delete your account, go do your RA duties, and stop watching the games if hate everything that much.  Not sure what's worse, the horrid tweeting or after the cubs come back and win then giving the ol' "tee-hee j/k everybody we win and forget all that i sent out into the world wide webbing over the last 3 hours".  Grow up. 
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4278 on: October 12, 2016, 12:27:31 PM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on October 12, 2016, 12:21:46 PM
Quote from: SKO on October 12, 2016, 11:05:57 AM

Oh fuck off
@StartKyleOrton: Fuck everything
@StartKyleOrton: Just fucking kill me
@StartKyleOrton: He's out. Let's just all end this Jonestown style
@StartKyleOrton: I'm sure the Cubs patient ABs will result in a gritty run against Moore before they get shut out by the Giants pen
@StartKyleOrton: This offense is so fucking fucked.
@StartKyleOrton: The real heroes are the people who have been scolding everyone for being downers since the 8th inning last night
@StartKyleOrton: IT'S OUR EVEN YEAR NOW

All that complete horseshit rageahol tweeting like an 11 year old, then an IT'S OUR EVEN YEAR NOW.  Unplug your tv, throw away your phone, delete your account, go do your RA duties, and stop watching the games if hate everything that much.  Not sure what's worse, the horrid tweeting or after the cubs come back and win then giving the ol' "tee-hee j/k everybody we win and forget all that i sent out into the world wide webbing over the last 3 hours".  Grow up. 

I will never understand why the only thing that motivates you to post anymore is your weird obsession with me, but I'm kinda flattered.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4279 on: October 12, 2016, 02:43:54 PM »
...I don't care if Javy Baez is grossly overweight, I fucking love the big flabby bastard.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #4280 on: October 12, 2016, 06:10:41 PM »
This probably doesn't matter, but here goes - I'm always going to be honest about my opinions and my feelings. Last night, I was angry and disappointed about what I was seeing during the Cubs game. If you don't like what I'm Tweeting, then ignore it. Or block it. Or mute it. Or unfollow my Twitter account.

I said late last night and earlier today that I deserve criticism for some of what I said and for not watching the rest of the game. I'm a big boy and I can take it.

But I'm not going to apologize for being me. I am who I am, flaws and all.

Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4281 on: October 12, 2016, 06:21:38 PM »
Quote from: BC on October 12, 2016, 06:10:41 PM
This probably doesn't matter, but here goes - I'm always going to be honest about my opinions and my feelings. Last night, I was angry and disappointed about what I was seeing during the Cubs game. If you don't like what I'm Tweeting, then ignore it. Or block it. Or mute it. Or unfollow my Twitter account.

I said late last night and earlier today that I deserve criticism for some of what I said and for not watching the rest of the game. I'm a big boy and I can take it.

You're alright.
Just try to enjoy this. It's kind of fun.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4282 on: October 12, 2016, 06:40:29 PM »

I think that people get upset because your feelings strike a chord with them, plays on their own anxieties, and increases their stress while watching the game. Almost everyone felt a sense of dread last night. I don't think anyone enjoys that feeling; it's not the kind of thing in which people want to commiserate. Better to face that dread with bravado and best intentions, even if you're not entirely feeling it. But what do I know. I haven't been this tired since my son was waking us up at 4am every morning.
M'lady.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4283 on: October 12, 2016, 08:25:18 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 12, 2016, 06:40:29 PM

I think that people get upset because your feelings strike a chord with them, plays on their own anxieties, and increases their stress while watching the game. Almost everyone felt a sense of dread last night. I don't think anyone enjoys that feeling; it's not the kind of thing in which people want to commiserate. Better to face that dread with bravado and best intentions, even if you're not entirely feeling it. But what do I know. I haven't been this tired since my son was waking us up at 4am every morning.

Jesus wept.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4284 on: October 12, 2016, 10:25:28 PM »
I think we can stop the psycho analysis and just get back to enjoying the incredible baseball team now

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4285 on: October 13, 2016, 08:42:44 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 12, 2016, 10:25:28 PM
I think we can stop the psycho analysis and just get back to enjoying the incredible baseball team now

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4286 on: October 13, 2016, 09:02:17 AM »

Some fans are more pessimistic. Some fans are more optimistic. Everyone should just do their own thing, but try to enjoy this. There's no right way or wrong way to be a fan... except the Vlahos way. That's definitely wrong.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4287 on: October 13, 2016, 09:40:26 AM »
Quote from: Tony on October 13, 2016, 09:02:17 AM

Some fans are more pessimistic. Some fans are more optimistic. Everyone should just do their own thing, but try to enjoy this. There's no right way or wrong way to be a fan... except the Vlahos way. That's definitely wrong.

ABORTIONS FOR SOME. TINY AMERICAN FLAGS FOR OTHERS.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4288 on: October 13, 2016, 10:27:34 AM »
Quote from: Bort on October 13, 2016, 09:40:26 AM
Quote from: Tony on October 13, 2016, 09:02:17 AM

ABORTIONS FOR SOME. TINY AMERICAN FLAGS FOR OTHERS.

I'd like one of each please.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4289 on: October 13, 2016, 08:26:48 PM »
I'm growing a playoff beard. It's itchy, I hate it, and I look stupider than usual.
M'lady.