News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread  ( 144,155 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 09:34:01 PM »
Quote from: RedBeard on April 12, 2010, 09:14:43 PM
Quote from: Day Man on April 12, 2010, 04:07:10 PM
Sadly, yes.  I saw it elsewhere first and thought for sure it was a Photoshop parody.  Had a good laugh, went to the Cubs website, and ... oh.

As in "I don't get this Al Yellon Photoshop"?

Exactly.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

RedBeard

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 10:15:33 PM »
I guess one could argue if they REALLY want to make a Way of Life (tm) ad, should it not feature a Chad and/or Trixie?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 07:32:27 AM »
Quote from: RedBeard on April 12, 2010, 10:15:33 PM
I guess one could argue if they REALLY want to make a Way of Life (tm) ad, should it not feature a Chad and/or Trixie?

I think it should show me urinating in someone's yard.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 09:00:43 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on April 13, 2010, 07:32:27 AM
Quote from: RedBeard on April 12, 2010, 10:15:33 PM

I think it should show me urinating in someone's yard.

That would work great!

"W"ater the Vines of Hope!

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 09:03:01 AM »
I saw Tom Ricketts while he was being interviewed on The Score yesterday morning.  He's pretty tall.  Like 6'3"ish.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 09:15:40 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on April 13, 2010, 09:03:01 AM
I saw Tom Ricketts while he was being interviewed on The Score yesterday morning.  He's pretty tall.  Like 6'3"ish.

And then what did you see? Keep going - I don't want this story to end.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 10:04:08 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 13, 2010, 09:15:40 AM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on April 13, 2010, 09:03:01 AM
I saw Tom Ricketts while he was being interviewed on The Score yesterday morning.  He's pretty tall.  Like 6'3"ish.

And then what did you see? Keep going - I don't want this story to end.

Nothing.  I blacked out.

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 11:14:22 AM »
As a one-time marketing guy...I'm maybe not as offended by this as most of you guys because there's a tactical value to it.  There is a segment out there that really gets into slogans and the like ...probably a larger number than are actively offended by them.   From a strict business perspective, this probably makes some sense for the Cubs.  Most teams seems to have these slogans or themes...some will refresh them every year.   This kind of thing was remarkably absent during the Tribune's time as owners...other than 1995, or whenever it was that McPhail took over and we got that one season of "We're working on it"...which I thought was pretty silly when accompanied by the video footage chronicling the team's on-field incompetence.  Maybe I'm an idiot...but I 've always thought that was a pretty good campaign.

This Way of Life thing also annoys me less than the whole "Year 1" thing that also seems to be floating out there in some places.  There's nothing "fresh" about this group of Cubs.

I will cheer the Ricketts for getting some cup holders over installed over the troughs though.  That pleased me yesterday.   

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 11:16:22 AM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on April 13, 2010, 11:14:22 AM
As a one-time marketing guy...I'm maybe not as offended by this as most of you guys because there's a tactical value to it.  There is a segment out there that really gets into slogans and the like ...probably a larger number than are actively offended by them.   From a strict business perspective, this probably makes some sense for the Cubs.  Most teams seems to have these slogans or themes...some will refresh them every year.   This kind of thing was remarkably absent during the Tribune's time as owners...other than 1995, or whenever it was that McPhail took over and we got that one season of "We're working on it"...which I thought was pretty silly when accompanied by the video footage chronicling the team's on-field incompetence.  Maybe I'm an idiot...but I 've always thought that was a pretty good campaign.

This Way of Life thing also annoys me less than the whole "Year 1" thing that also seems to be floating out there in some places.  There's nothing "fresh" about this group of Cubs.

I will cheer the Ricketts for getting some cup holders over installed over the troughs though.  That pleased me yesterday.   

Pen could have come up with something way worse

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 11:17:28 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on April 13, 2010, 11:16:22 AM

Pen could have come up with something way worse

The only thing better than Pen's slogan are the deals.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 11:17:59 AM »
I'm surprised they didn't roll out a slogan like, "2010 Chicago Cubs: Now 100% Milton-Free!"
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
Big shocker.  The lemmings are tripping all over themselves to deliver sloppy rim jobs to Tom.

Some of the gems...

Quote from: Lemming #1I just love the Ricketts. They get it and they know how to connect.
Yes, because they walked through the park on Opening Day.  Nothing says "regular guy" like a billionaire owner daring to walk amongst the plebes for some photo ops.

Quote from: Lemming #2That's awesome.  I hope to meet him someday.

Dare to dream, little man.

Quote from: Lemming #3what a badass.  love to meet him

A badass?  Really?

Quote from:  Lemming #4Unbelievable.  So much for the stuffed shirt corporate stiff who hides out in his luxury suite. What a novel approach, talking to fans!

Yes.  He's a regular guy!  Like us!  Only a billion times richer.

Quote from: Longwinded LemmingSo far, so awesome with the Ricketts. I love this guy. It's like having our very own Steinbrenner, except not paranoid or crazy. He's basically doing exactly what you or I would do if all of our dreams came true and we owned the Cubs.

The Ricketts basically bet their entire family fortune on this, and it's going to work out better than anyone could have hoped.

I predict that in 20 years when Tom is handing the reins to one of his kids, Wrigley will be completely rebuilt, the Cubs will have contended in essentially every season, the Ricketts family will be Chicago royalty, and their family name will be as well-known nationally as the Steinbrenners or Reinsdorfs.

The team isn't going to appreciate in value the way it did for the Trib, but I think that's beside the point. The Ricketts family is going to make a huge amount of money every year, and the non-balance-sheet benefits of owning the Cubs are priceless.

I...I got nuthin'...

Quote from: Yet Another LemmingHow often do you think he will stop by the bleachers?

Because I'd like to meet him on July 21, for the Cubs-Astros game.

Yikes.  It's starting to get creepy in here, no?

But Al actually responds to that one:

Quote from: King DoucheIt's possible.
Um, thanks for the insight, you dolt.

Quote from: Another In A Seemingly Enldess Line Of LemmingsTom Ricketts is the best prospect the Cubs have.

He's gonna bring this team to glory.

To say these windowlickers are easily impressed would be a vast understatement.  

Naturally, nary a dissenting voice could be heard amidst this embarrssing symphony of slavishness.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2010, 11:32:06 AM »

"Way of Life" may not annoy me any less than "Year 1," but I think the latter definitely deserves recognition for also being totally fucking retarded.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2010, 11:38:09 AM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on April 13, 2010, 11:32:06 AM

"Way of Life" may not annoy me any less than "Year 1," but I think the latter definitely deserves recognition for also being totally fucking retarded.

Okay...so a couple glaring problems.

1. The images in those ads are a huge turn-off, whether it's a photo of Yeti gorging himself or the roofie ad, they're just totally unappealing.
2. "Way of Life"...The Cubs haven't won a World Series since 1908, let's not celebrate the Cubs' Way of Life here. 

You have two things to sell here...either baseball (harder) or Wrigley (easier). 

The latter will piss off a lot of residents of dark corners, but it's certainly a viable tactic, and it seems like they sort of went with this approach but took the wrong angles. 

Now, admittedly I haven't been to Wrigley in probably 7 years, but I don't remember the food being very good, at least not compared to say...every other ballpark in baseball.

So if you're going to sell the experience, which is a fair proposition since the baseball hasn't been that "sellable" for the last century, just sell the right aspects of it.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2010, 11:41:04 AM »
Quote from: MAD on April 13, 2010, 11:28:00 AM
Big shocker.  The lemmings are tripping all over themselves to deliver sloppy rim jobs to Tom.

Some of the gems...

Quote from: Lemming #1I just love the Ricketts. They get it and they know how to connect.
Yes, because they walked through the park on Opening Day.  Nothing says "regular guy" like a billionaire owner daring to walk amongst the plebes for some photo ops.

Quote from: Lemming #2That's awesome.  I hope to meet him someday.

Dare to dream, little man.

Quote from: Lemming #3what a badass.  love to meet him

A badass?  Really?

Quote from:  Lemming #4Unbelievable.  So much for the stuffed shirt corporate stiff who hides out in his luxury suite. What a novel approach, talking to fans!

Yes.  He's a regular guy!  Like us!  Only a billion times richer.

Quote from: Longwinded LemmingSo far, so awesome with the Ricketts. I love this guy. It's like having our very own Steinbrenner, except not paranoid or crazy. He's basically doing exactly what you or I would do if all of our dreams came true and we owned the Cubs.

The Ricketts basically bet their entire family fortune on this, and it's going to work out better than anyone could have hoped.

I predict that in 20 years when Tom is handing the reins to one of his kids, Wrigley will be completely rebuilt, the Cubs will have contended in essentially every season, the Ricketts family will be Chicago royalty, and their family name will be as well-known nationally as the Steinbrenners or Reinsdorfs.

The team isn't going to appreciate in value the way it did for the Trib, but I think that's beside the point. The Ricketts family is going to make a huge amount of money every year, and the non-balance-sheet benefits of owning the Cubs are priceless.

I...I got nuthin'...

Quote from: Yet Another LemmingHow often do you think he will stop by the bleachers?

Because I'd like to meet him on July 21, for the Cubs-Astros game.

Yikes.  It's starting to get creepy in here, no?

But Al actually responds to that one:

Quote from: King DoucheIt's possible.
Um, thanks for the insight, you dolt.

Quote from: Another In A Seemingly Enldess Line Of LemmingsTom Ricketts is the best prospect the Cubs have.

He's gonna bring this team to glory.

To say these windowlickers are easily impressed would be a vast understatement.  

Naturally, nary a dissenting voice could be heard amidst this embarrssing symphony of slavishness.

Holy shit. How much you wanna bet that a significant factor in these mutants deciding that Ricketts is a REGULAR GUY is attributable to him wearing a fleece yesterday?

"Look at that guy, he's dressed kinda like me instead of wearing a suit. HE. GETS. IT!"