News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread  ( 144,174 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread
« Reply #870 on: January 19, 2016, 01:45:23 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on January 19, 2016, 01:33:57 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 19, 2016, 09:02:53 AM
Quote from: Brownie on January 18, 2016, 12:20:38 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 18, 2016, 12:09:18 PM
Quote from: CT III on January 18, 2016, 11:21:53 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 18, 2016, 08:35:41 AM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 18, 2016, 12:32:34 AM
Quote from: Brownie on January 17, 2016, 10:11:23 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 17, 2016, 02:21:25 PM
Todd's gonna Todd.

Fuck the Mets. Sylvie and Todd are OK by me.

If you don't enjoy watching the Mets lose, there's something wrong with you.

That's fine for fans but it sounded pretty unprofessional for an owner.

It sounded dead on for a guy whose dad has major plans for all his kids, but only runs a bike shop.

It's almost like parents shouldn't plan out their kids lives in advance for them.

Pretty sure only Pete is living up to dad's standards.

To be fair, Todd has held a few executive positions with TD Ameritrade along with a couple other financial firms. He also owns a couple bike shops, is a director of a Major League Baseball team, runs a couple PACs, and dabbles in VC along with his wife, who also runs a couple non-profits. In other words, he does roughly what Chuck would be doing if Chuck was the sole jackpot Powerball winner last week.

And Todd is not ashamed to admit he hates the New York Mets, Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman, Bud fucking Harrelson, Danny Goddam Heap, Darryl Motherfucking Strawberry, David Wright and the rest of them. Go get 'em, Todd!

...and he gives his dad's money to political candidates TJ likes.  Full disclosure.

And you'd never see me giving money to any politician not named Chuck Gitles. Given I'm never running for anything ever again, pretty sure all my future charitable donations are going to deserving people, not wannabe reality TV stars who want a public paycheck to rant and rail and do nothing.

Full disclosure was given.

Besides Chuck lumping "political contributions" in with "charitable donations" (if he can't discern the difference, I'm sadly disappointed), it's even more puzzling that Chuck would refuse support a candidate or a political cause he believes in. Mike D. showed how so many Presidents going back to Hoover came from humble origins. Would Chuck rather allow the government to be run only by those who are independently wealthy (Rauner, Trump) or those supported by the likes of Michael Madigan (or George Soros or the Koch Brothers or Michael Bloomberg or Todd and Joe Ricketts)?

I'm not sure what costs Chuck's D-30 caucus committee incurred to run in just a portion of Glenview and Northbrook for, what, 3500 votes?

But sure, dump on Todd Ricketts. Go Mets.

I support political causes I believe in. With votes, not dollars.

And in terms of what costs the D-30 caucus committee incurred, it was dead even with the effort Todd gave to get where he got: Nada.

I did spend my own money on my own campaign in 2009 for re-election. Not a penny of mine, or anyone elses, before or since.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #871 on: January 19, 2016, 01:50:09 PM »
Todd's gonna Todd.

It sounded dead on for a guy whose dad has major plans for all his kids, but only runs a bike shop.

It's almost like parents shouldn't plan out their kids lives in advance for them.

To be fair, Todd has held a few executive positions with TD Ameritrade along with a couple other financial firms. He also owns a couple bike shops, is a director of a Major League Baseball team, runs a couple PACs, and dabbles in VC along with his wife, who also runs a couple non-profits. In other words, he does roughly what Chuck would be doing if Chuck was the sole jackpot Powerball winner last week.

And Todd is not ashamed to admit he hates the New York Mets, Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman, Bud fucking Harrelson, Danny Goddam Heap, Darryl Motherfucking Strawberry, David Wright and the rest of them. Go get 'em, Todd!

...and he gives his dad's money to political candidates TJ likes.  Full disclosure.

And you'd never see me giving money to any politician not named Chuck Gitles. Given I'm never running for anything ever again, pretty sure all my future charitable donations are going to deserving people, not wannabe reality TV stars who want a public paycheck to rant and rail and do nothing.

Besides Chuck lumping "political contributions" in with "charitable donations" (if he can't discern the difference, I'm sadly disappointed), it's even more puzzling that Chuck would refuse support a candidate or a political cause he believes in. Mike D. showed how so many Presidents going back to Hoover came from humble origins. Would Chuck rather allow the government to be run only by those who are independently wealthy (Rauner, Trump) or those supported by the likes of Michael Madigan (or George Soros or the Koch Brothers or Michael Bloomberg or Todd and Joe Ricketts)?

I'm not sure what costs Chuck's D-30 caucus committee incurred to run in just a portion of Glenview and Northbrook for, what, 3500 votes?

Wait, did you suggest that contributions to PACs are charitable in nature and not political?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #872 on: January 19, 2016, 02:08:10 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 19, 2016, 01:45:23 PM

I support political causes I believe in. With votes, not dollars.

And in terms of what costs the D-30 caucus committee incurred, it was dead even with the effort Todd gave to get where he got: Nada.

I did spend my own money on my own campaign in 2009 for re-election. Not a penny of mine, or anyone elses, before or since.

So offices held only by those who can afford it? No paid staff, no travel expenses, no advertising, no signage, no compliance costs (that can easily cost five figures for a small Congressional campaign, by the way), no legal costs (ditto), no renting of space to host an event in which people can meet said candidate?

Again, Chuck, you can cover your D-30 area with your bicycle. How much did your state representative spend to win District 17 last year? CD-10 might be a bit of an anomaly because it is a swing district, but what do you think it costs Nancy Rotering, who has little name recognition outside of Highland Park, to get her name out there and differentiate herself from a former Congressman running opposite her (Brad Schneider)? Then the winner of the primary has to get his or her message out and cut through the noise of all the other campaigns (and life) going on and compete against Bob Dold, a sitting Congressman.

Fact is, it all costs money. And the fact is, what constitutes a donation, monetary or in-kind (and there's no discernment there)?

Todd Ricketts actually gives relatively very little directly to campaigns. His PACs work independently, running issue ads, direct mail pieces, etc. for or against someone.  

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #873 on: January 19, 2016, 02:08:47 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 19, 2016, 01:50:09 PM
Todd's gonna Todd.

Wait, did you suggest that contributions to PACs are charitable in nature and not political?

Chuck suggested that, not me.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #874 on: January 19, 2016, 02:18:31 PM »
Paging Tonker

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #875 on: January 19, 2016, 02:43:10 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 19, 2016, 02:18:31 PM
Paging Tonker

I think I'm kind of lost in this thread and I'm not sure I want to dig out.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #876 on: January 19, 2016, 02:45:28 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on January 19, 2016, 02:08:10 PM
but what do you think it costs Nancy Rotering, who has little name recognition outside of Highland Park, to get her name out there and differentiate herself from a former Congressman running opposite her (Brad Schneider)? Then the winner of the primary has to get his or her message out and cut through the noise of all the other campaigns (and life) going on and compete against Bob Dold, a sitting Congressman.

Fact is, it all costs money.

Probably over $1.5mm per campaign. So what. Go ahead and spend it. You ain't getting mine to help elect a backbencher. Or even a front bencher.

I'll give Trump this, he's spent $1,909,577 of his own money and only raised $3,910,228 from contributors. 33% self financed. $-0- from PACs. Good for him.  He's right: He's in the pocket of no one other than himself.

Bet he's spent more of his own money than Rotering, Schneider or Dold have and will in all their campaigns combined.

How much has Dold gotten for pledging his fealty to Grover Norquist? Does Norquist even live in IL-10?  Oh yeah...  I wonder how much Schneider got for doing the same to Pelosi?  Or Rotering for kissing Durbin's toes?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #877 on: January 19, 2016, 02:47:30 PM »
Hello!  I like beer, and boobs.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #878 on: January 19, 2016, 02:49:55 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 19, 2016, 02:47:30 PM

That qualifies you to be a congressman.  But for wide stance senators.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #879 on: January 19, 2016, 02:55:51 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 19, 2016, 02:47:30 PM

Well then, welcome to Barstool Sports!

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #880 on: January 19, 2016, 03:33:59 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 19, 2016, 01:21:28 PM
Need Tonker to jump in here and loudly proclaim how awful this thread is.

Is that what he's become? The angry old man, yelling at clouds?
M'lady.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #881 on: January 19, 2016, 03:35:31 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on January 19, 2016, 03:33:59 PM

Become?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #882 on: January 19, 2016, 03:56:07 PM »

Not until he pays all the back dues that he owes.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #883 on: January 19, 2016, 04:20:47 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 19, 2016, 03:56:07 PM

Maybe he should start a PAC?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #884 on: January 19, 2016, 04:51:22 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 19, 2016, 04:20:47 PM
Quote from: CBStew on January 19, 2016, 03:56:07 PM

Maybe he should start a PAC?

He's a foreign national. Don't think that's allowed.