News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Schadenfreude is Fung  ( 6,237 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Schadenfreude is Fung
« on: July 07, 2010, 09:46:14 AM »
Hey, the Cubs have a 2-game winning streak and have won 3 of their last four. If they can win 3 of 4 the rest of the way, they'll be a 95-win team. If you can believe the Cubs can win at a .750 clip, I'm happy for you. Instead let's enjoy the following:

1) Jake Peavy's arm has fallen off. He reported shoulder discomfort last month when he sucked, but he had three or four good starts when he could have been on the DL, and now it looks like he has a significant injury. Not Mark Prior or Kerry Wood significant, but even Tony LaRussa would consider this significant.
2) Speaking of The Genius, he'd consider a 9-run 9th inning significant, especially if it came with the Cardinals entering that inning leading 9-3.
3) Dewyane Wade and Chris Bosh are going to enjoy playing 2-on-5 basketball for the next five or six seasons. And Dewyane will have some fun alimony checks to boot.
4) Every day Aramis Ramirez hits two homers, somewhere, Barry Rozner is a little sadder.
5) A bunch of Uruguayans are feeling sort of the way we did the day after Super Bowl XLI. The game was so in reach, yet not really.
6) A bunch of Englishmen and French feel like we did after the 2008 playoffs.
7) Oh and Paul Konerko is polling as well as Dennis Kucinich in the 2008 primary.

Good morning?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Schadenfreude is Fung
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 09:55:43 AM »
8) John Murray isn't making any money selling signs.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 09:59:02 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 07, 2010, 09:55:43 AM

9) The Brixen Ivy guy probably wishes he could sell a rooftop event to a bunch of loud, drunk morans.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 10:07:06 AM »
10.) Robert Byrd died.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 10:12:21 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 07, 2010, 09:59:02 AM

9) The Brixen Ivy guy probably wishes he could sell a rooftop event to a bunch of loud, drunk morans.

This brought back the image of morph falling down the stairs. Thank you for reminding me, I'm lol'ng now.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 10:14:04 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 07, 2010, 09:46:14 AM

5) A bunch of Uruguayans are feeling sort of the way we did the day after Super Bowl XLI.The game was so in reach, yet not really.

Obligatory fuck you to Ron Turner.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 10:28:19 AM »
11.)  Andy MacPhail has decided to share his deceptive powers of destruction with a team that's not the Cubs.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 10:38:18 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on July 07, 2010, 10:14:04 AM

5) A bunch of Uruguayans are feeling sort of the way we did the day after Super Bowl XLI.The game was so in reach, yet not really.

I certainly won't defend the asshat, and his gameplan was retarded, but of all people that could and should be blamed for that game...you single out Ron Turner?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 10:39:53 AM »
Quote from: BH on July 07, 2010, 10:12:21 AM
Quote from: Brownie on July 07, 2010, 09:59:02 AM

This brought back the image of morph falling down the stairs step. Thank you for reminding me, I'm lol'ng now.

Reality'd.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 10:42:25 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 07, 2010, 10:38:18 AM

I certainly won't defend the asshat, and his gameplan was retarded, but of all people that could and should be blamed for that game...you single out Ron Turner?

People have a tendency to single out coordinators and coaches for some reason in singular games when it was probably, quite possibly, maybe, very speculatively the players on the field who didn't execute well enough to beat the other team. Blaming the coaches is easy

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 10:46:12 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 07, 2010, 10:42:25 AM

People have a tendency to single out coordinators and coaches for some reason in singular games when it was probably, quite possibly, maybe, very speculatively the players on the field who didn't execute well enough to beat the other team. Blaming the coaches is easy

I get that. The order of blame for that game is as follows 1) The defensive line/Secondary. 2) Rex Grossman 3) The entire defensive coaching staff. STOP PLAYING THE GOD DAMN COVER 2. NO MORE "TAKING AWAY BIG PLAYS." ON 3RD DOWN AND FIVE AN 8 YARD HOOK IS A BIG FUCKING PLAY YOU MOUTH BREATHING RETARDS OH FUCK I THINK DOMINIC RHODES JUST GOT ANOTHER FIRST DOWN ON A PASS THAT TRAVELLED THREE YARDS IN THE AIR. DIE DIE DIE DIE ALL OF YOU DIE
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 10:49:10 AM »

Your fascination with this guy is weird.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 10:52:29 AM »

Yep.

Rainstorm, running game working, shaky QB, & still a close game in the 3rd qtr and Ron's solution is to throw the fucking ball all over the place.

QuoteLong after Hester's return, for reasons that have haunted the Bears for three years since that moment, former offensive coordinator Ron Turner stopped calling plays for former running back Thomas Jones and -- as quickly as you can say trust me - the Bears became former Super Bowl contenders. The rest is history -- the kind that's been much less fun to record.

Trailing 19-14, the Bears had the ball and momentum facing a second-and-one at the Colts' 45 early in the third quarter.

Instead of taking the gimme and keeping hope alive, Turner called a pass play that resulted in a sack and an 11-yard loss. On the next pass play, third-and-12, Rex Grossman fumbled the snap and the Bears began the slow, painful descent into becoming a team it didn't want to be. [\quote]

QuoteThough averaging 7.5 yards per carry in the game, the Bears' only called 15 running plays in the 29-17 loss to Indianapolis.[\quote]

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 11:04:26 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on July 07, 2010, 10:49:10 AM

Your fascination with this guy is weird.

I was wondering who would bite first.  Congrats, Gil.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 11:15:23 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on July 07, 2010, 10:52:29 AM

Yep.

Rainstorm, running game working, shaky QB, & still a close game in the 3rd qtr and Ron's solution is to throw the fucking ball all over the place.

Sigh. To say the run game was "working" up until that point is extremely misleading, or to say that calling one pass on 2nd and 1 is "throwing the fucking ball all over the place" is ridiculous. If you can't take a chance on passing on 2nd and 1, when can you? It's not the coordinators fault Rex PANK'd back to back plays. At that point in the game Turner had called 10 passes to 8 runs. It's not like he suddenly turned into Air Coryell. Also, Cedric Benson was already out of the game, and Thomas Jones had gained 63 yards on 6 carries. That sounds good, but 52 of those yards came on one carry. On the other 7 carries of the half the team averaged 2 yards. They'd called more runs than passes on 4 of their possessions and went three and out on three of them. Their only turnover to that point had been on a Benson fumble.

Also, Jones 2nd longest runs after the 52 yarder were two 12 yard draw plays that were run AFTER the team was down 29-17. Take away those three carries and the Bears averaged fewer than three yards on the rest of their running attempts. It's hard to say Turner abandoned the running game when it was absolutely dominating.