News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: True Grit  ( 3,176 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
True Grit
« on: September 28, 2010, 05:14:21 PM »
Coen Brothers re-adaptation of the novel, slated for Christmas release.

Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn.

With Matt Damon and Josh Brolin.

http://www.truegritmovie.com/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403865/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Grit_(2010_film)
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/truegrit/
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: True Grit
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 06:43:44 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 28, 2010, 05:14:21 PM

I'm sure Bridges will win an undeserved Oscar for it. /BadKermit

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 08:01:14 PM »
Quote from: CT III on September 28, 2010, 06:43:44 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 28, 2010, 05:14:21 PM

I'm sure Bridges will win an undeserved Oscar for it. /BadKermit

Nah. Not enough AMORAL ITALIAN GANGSTERS.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 07:59:16 PM »
Bumped for the full trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GkAH7IUWOE

Fill your hand...

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 12:03:20 AM »
Quote from: CT III on November 19, 2010, 07:59:16 PM

Fill your hand...

You had me at "Coen Brothers".
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 12:28:06 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 20, 2010, 12:03:20 AM
Quote from: CT III on November 19, 2010, 07:59:16 PM

Fill your hand...

You had me at "Coen Brothers".

He had me at filling my hand.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 08:24:07 PM »

This will be the ballsiest balls since the invention of balls.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 08:41:57 AM »
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 12:40:08 AM »
Terrific movie.  I heard some idiot on NPR compare this movie unfavorably with the 1969 John Wayne movie.  I watched the  Wayne version on TCM the night before I saw the Coen Bros. film.  The John Wayne movie looks really cheesy compared to this newer version.  For those of you who loved "Deadwood", the dialogue will sound familiar.  Jeff Bridges' Rooster Cogburn is a real person, not John Wayne playacting.  The girl is played by a phenomenal newcomer.  When her name came up in the credits people in the audience applauded.  The direction and editing make you aware that you are watching a movie.  For instance, instead of showing us a hackneyed scene of a street in an old Western town, they make you strain to see it behind a slowly moving locomotive.  Three men on a gallows about to be hung.  The two white men are allowed to make speeches.  The third man, an Indian, is unceremoniously hanged in mid-sentence.  The business of the killing of Mattie's father is narrated because that was not the real story.  They wanted to get right to the business about this pushy little girl who sets out to put things right.  No mushy sentimentality.  It is a piece of business that she has to do.   Matt Damon is a stilted over dressed Texas Ranger.  Jeff Bridges is an amoral drunk.  The villians are loutish dunces.  For those of you who remember the 1969 movie, they used the best dialogue from that movie in this one.  But don't expect the same ending.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 09:10:29 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on December 24, 2010, 12:40:08 AM
Terrific movie.  I heard some idiot on NPR compare this movie unfavorably with the 1969 John Wayne movie.  I watched the  Wayne version on TCM the night before I saw the Coen Bros. film.  The John Wayne movie looks really cheesy compared to this newer version.  For those of you who loved "Deadwood", the dialogue will sound familiar.  Jeff Bridges' Rooster Cogburn is a real person, not John Wayne playacting.  The girl is played by a phenomenal newcomer.  When her name came up in the credits people in the audience applauded.  The direction and editing make you aware that you are watching a movie.  For instance, instead of showing us a hackneyed scene of a street in an old Western town, they make you strain to see it behind a slowly moving locomotive.  Three men on a gallows about to be hung.  The two white men are allowed to make speeches.  The third man, an Indian, is unceremoniously hanged in mid-sentence.  The business of the killing of Mattie's father is narrated because that was not the real story.  They wanted to get right to the business about this pushy little girl who sets out to put things right.  No mushy sentimentality.  It is a piece of business that she has to do.   Matt Damon is a stilted over dressed Texas Ranger.  Jeff Bridges is an amoral drunk.  The villians are loutish dunces.  For those of you who remember the 1969 movie, they used the best dialogue from that movie in this one.  But don't expect the same ending.

Stew, you just made me want to see this movie even more.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 10:01:29 AM »
Terrific movie.  I heard some idiot on NPR compare this movie unfavorably with the 1969 John Wayne movie.  I watched the  Wayne version on TCM the night before I saw the Coen Bros. film.  The John Wayne movie looks really cheesy compared to this newer version.  For those of you who loved "Deadwood", the dialogue will sound familiar.  Jeff Bridges' Rooster Cogburn is a real person, not John Wayne playacting.  The girl is played by a phenomenal newcomer.  When her name came up in the credits people in the audience applauded.  The direction and editing make you aware that you are watching a movie.  For instance, instead of showing us a hackneyed scene of a street in an old Western town, they make you strain to see it behind a slowly moving locomotive.  Three men on a gallows about to be hung.  The two white men are allowed to make speeches.  The third man, an Indian, is unceremoniously hanged in mid-sentence.  The business of the killing of Mattie's father is narrated because that was not the real story.  They wanted to get right to the business about this pushy little girl who sets out to put things right.  No mushy sentimentality.  It is a piece of business that she has to do.   Matt Damon is a stilted over dressed Texas Ranger.  Jeff Bridges is an amoral drunk.  The villians are loutish dunces.  For those of you who remember the 1969 movie, they used the best dialogue from that movie in this one.  But don't expect the same ending.

THI.

My dad said the ending of this version is closer to that of the book.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 08:59:20 AM »

I couldn't agree more.  If that girl doesn't get nominated for Best Actress, then I probably won't notice, because I don't watch the Oscars.  But I'll still be enraged!!!  Great, great movie.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 12:02:16 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on January 03, 2011, 08:59:20 AM

I couldn't agree more.  If that girl doesn't get nominated for Best Actress, then I probably won't notice, because I don't watch the Oscars.  But I'll still be enraged!!!  Great, great movie.

It will be the most horrendous snub since Devin Aromashadu was left inactive that one game.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 09:38:52 AM »

Movie greatness: confirmed. So many outstanding scenes in this. The hanging, the girl negotiating the return of the gray horse, the courtroom scene, the interrogation of the two halfwits in the cabin, Cogburn throwing biscuits in the air while shithammered...so yeah, basically the whole thing.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 11:57:01 AM »
Quote from: R-V on June 11, 2011, 09:38:52 AM

Movie greatness: confirmed. So many outstanding scenes in this. The hanging, the girl negotiating the return of the gray horse, the courtroom scene, the interrogation of the two halfwits in the cabin, Cogburn throwing biscuits in the air while shithammered...so yeah, basically the whole thing.

Keep your seat, trash.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.