News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bears Fans Are Concussed, Like Their Quarterback - 10/03/10.  ( 24,775 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Bears Fans Are Concussed, Like Their Quarterback - 10/03/10.
« Reply #195 on: October 05, 2010, 02:42:21 PM »
Stop arguing with Yeti about teh maths. Nerds.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #196 on: October 05, 2010, 02:45:18 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on October 05, 2010, 02:38:07 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 05, 2010, 02:25:43 PM
Quote from: Yeti on October 05, 2010, 02:21:58 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 05, 2010, 02:16:46 PM
Quote from: Yeti on October 05, 2010, 02:10:40 PM
So, the law of large numbers doesn't indicate that over time the numbers will average out to the norm?

I don't think you get how "regression to the mean" works.

We'll take Longoria as out example...

He's a career .283 hitter.

Say he hits at .450 for the first month of a season. Regression to the mean doesn't suggest he's therefore more likely to hit .166 the second month to even out his overall BA at .283.

Rather, regression to the mean suggests (more or less) that he's likely to hit .283 going forward and that the overall average will therefore gradually fall back to Earth.

Part of the reason that I wanted to stay away from baseball as a comparison is because baseball is more "vacuum-y" (if you will) than football. There are more factors involved. Like I said originally, part of it has to do with opposing adjustments that have more of an effect on the next instance (or return).

I get that adjustments matter.

I'm just not sure that you do.

Because you're argument seems to boil down to: don't worry about making adjustments to your kicking game (by not kicking it to Hester the second time)... the adjustments to your kicking game will surely stop him!

So, I said teams shouldn't make adjustments or don't make adjustments? The return is the mainly result of an "error" if you will, a mistake, usually by the kicking team (not in the lane, bad punt, pisspoor tackling, etc). Based on the fact that the majority of returns aren't taken back for 100 yards every time, it stands to reason that the following return won't yield the exact same circumstances and results (a TD).

Quote from: Eli on October 05, 2010, 02:10:04 PM
Quote from: Yeti on October 05, 2010, 02:00:38 PM
The NFL isn't like HS football where a great player can literally run circles around an opposing team.

I get it now. You're messing with everyone.

You've never seen a HS football game where there was one player who was insanely better than anyone else? I know I have a propensity to attend these to scope out the local wool, but you should see some more of it. It's actually a pretty good time.

A couple weeks ago, I covered a high school game (excuse the shitty writing) where a running back had 276 rushing yards in the first half. He figuratively ran circles around the opposing team.

I also covered a HS football game where they had a guy running on the track throughout the game. He was an older man, and I doubt he could really do anything of consequence (except fumble the ball and get injured) if they put him into the game. Funny thing was that he literally ran circles around BOTH teams.

CORRECTED: Ovals. He literally ran ovals around both teams.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #197 on: October 05, 2010, 02:45:37 PM »
Quote from: Bort on October 05, 2010, 02:41:22 PM

The NFL isn't like HS football where a great player can literally run circles around an opposing team.

You've never seen a HS football game where there was one player who was insanely better than anyone else? I know I have a propensity to attend these to scope out the local wool, but you should see some more of it. It's actually a pretty good time.

That person is so good that he has the time to literally run in an even 360-degree shape around his opponents? No, I haven't seen that.

You've obviously never attended a game at Outdoor Shitter Stadium in the Bumfuck Nowheresville Conference. You elitist prick.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #198 on: October 05, 2010, 02:47:22 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 05, 2010, 02:41:42 PM
Quote from: Tony on October 05, 2010, 02:20:38 PM
Quote from: Waco Kid on October 05, 2010, 02:17:00 PM
http://twitter.com/BradBiggs

#Bears signing DE Charles Grant per @vxmcclure23. He will take place of Mark Anderson, who was cut per his agent.

Didn't the Anderson over Brown experiment fail once before? Nice choice, Lovie.

Brown was owed a 5 or 6 Mildo roster bonus so it was an easy choice. But not the right choice, Jerry.

Well then they should have cut Tommie instead. And yeah, I like Alex Brown probably more than he deserves, but he was reliable dammit.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #199 on: October 05, 2010, 02:48:55 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 05, 2010, 02:45:18 PM
So, the law of large numbers doesn't indicate that over time the numbers will average out to the norm?

Say he hits at .450 for the first month of a season. Regression to the mean doesn't suggest he's therefore more likely to hit .166 the second month to even out his overall BA at .283.

Rather, regression to the mean suggests (more or less) that he's likely to hit .283 going forward and that the overall average will therefore gradually fall back to Earth.

Part of the reason that I wanted to stay away from baseball as a comparison is because baseball is more "vacuum-y" (if you will) than football. There are more factors involved. Like I said originally, part of it has to do with opposing adjustments that have more of an effect on the next instance (or return).

Because you're argument seems to boil down to: don't worry about making adjustments to your kicking game (by not kicking it to Hester the second time)... the adjustments to your kicking game will surely stop him!

So, I said teams shouldn't make adjustments or don't make adjustments? The return is the mainly result of an "error" if you will, a mistake, usually by the kicking team (not in the lane, bad punt, pisspoor tackling, etc). Based on the fact that the majority of returns aren't taken back for 100 yards every time, it stands to reason that the following return won't yield the exact same circumstances and results (a TD).

The NFL isn’t like HS football where a great player can literally run circles around an opposing team.

A couple weeks ago, I covered a high school game (excuse the shitty writing) where a running back had 276 rushing yards in the first half. He figuratively ran circles around the opposing team.

I also covered a HS football game where they had a guy running on the track throughout the game. He was an older man, and I doubt he could really do anything of consequence (except fumble the ball and get injured) if they put him into the game. Funny thing was that he literally ran circles around BOTH teams.

I may have exaggerated the "literal" thing, but it's people like that kid that I'm referring to. Put that kid on punt returns and he'll probably average 25-30 yards a return

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #200 on: October 05, 2010, 02:49:05 PM »
Quote from: Tony on October 05, 2010, 02:47:22 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 05, 2010, 02:41:42 PM
Quote from: Tony on October 05, 2010, 02:20:38 PM
Quote from: Waco Kid on October 05, 2010, 02:17:00 PM
http://twitter.com/BradBiggs

#Bears signing DE Charles Grant per @vxmcclure23. He will take place of Mark Anderson, who was cut per his agent.

Didn't the Anderson over Brown experiment fail once before? Nice choice, Lovie.

Brown was owed a 5 or 6 Mildo roster bonus so it was an easy choice. But not the right choice, Jerry.

Well then they should have cut Tommie instead. And yeah, I like Alex Brown probably more than he deserves, but he was reliable dammit.

I don't think they had/have the depth at DT to cut Harris, as disappointing as he is to us, Lovie, his parents, God and everybody. And yet Charles Grants grow on trees.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #201 on: October 05, 2010, 02:52:05 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on October 05, 2010, 02:48:55 PM

I may have exaggerated the "literal" thing, but it's people like that kid that I'm referring to. Put that kid on punt returns and he'll probably average 25-30 yards a return

Every post you make in this thread is literally dumber than the one you made before it.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #202 on: October 05, 2010, 02:52:53 PM »
You cannot EXAGGERATE "literally." The most unique thing about the word literal is that when you misuse it, you are using it exactly wrong.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #203 on: October 05, 2010, 02:53:24 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on October 05, 2010, 02:48:55 PM

But if he averages a 30 yard return, what then if his first return was 96 yards, his second was 79 and the other team punting out of the end zone the third time?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #204 on: October 05, 2010, 02:55:32 PM »
Quote from: Bort on October 05, 2010, 02:52:53 PM
You cannot EXAGGERATE "literally." The most unique thing about the word literal is that when you misuse it, you are using it exactly wrong.

It would be ok if Thrill didn't steal Eli's password to bust pedantnuts over the usage of a word when the meaning of what was supposed to be conveyed was clearly understood.

Quote from: Brownie on October 05, 2010, 02:53:24 PM
But if he averages a 30 yard return, what then if his first return was 96 yards, his second was 79 and the other team punting out of the end zone the third time?

Then he happened to average 87.5 yards/return. Good on him

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #205 on: October 05, 2010, 02:56:07 PM »
What if they kick the next one out of bounds? What then?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2010, 02:57:39 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on October 05, 2010, 02:55:32 PM

It would be ok if Thrill didn't steal Eli's password to bust pedantnuts over the usage of a word when the meaning of what was supposed to be conveyed was clearly understood.

Quote from: Brownie on October 05, 2010, 02:53:24 PM

Then he happened to average 87.5 yards/return. Good on him

I just like watching the bouncing from Katy Perry everytime you post.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #207 on: October 05, 2010, 02:58:30 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on October 05, 2010, 02:55:32 PM

If the meaning was clear to everyone, no one would have to call you on it.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #208 on: October 05, 2010, 02:59:28 PM »
I guess we'll always have opening day 2006 at Green Bay in which Mark Anderson was in full-beast mode on Favre's face, the Bears returned a kick for a TD and Yeti was nowhere to be found.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #209 on: October 05, 2010, 03:01:01 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 05, 2010, 02:59:28 PM
I guess we'll always have opening day 2006 at Green Bay in which Mark Anderson was in full-beast mode on Favre's face, the Bears returned a kick for a TD and Yeti was literally nowhere to be found.