News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Electronic Devices  ( 15,408 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Electronic Devices
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 08:20:50 AM »
Quote from: BH on April 25, 2011, 02:00:44 PM
So Yeti, as a iphone 4 user and a thunderbolt user, what's the skinny? I'm dying to know. Give us the 4-1-1 asap please.

Well, BH, that's a great question. I don't know if I have a cut and dried "this phone is the shiznit" answer. Like, one of the things I'm loving about the Thunderbolt that I wasn't getting from the iPhone is the unlimited Internet but that's a provider-level issue, not a phone-level, so it's unfair to judge it on that. I will say I used 8 GB in my first month of use with Verizon, while that would have cost me $85 from AT&T just for the Internet usage alone, while my total Verizon bill is about $5 more than that.

The future 4G usage of the Thunderbolt for me will probably make that usage increase quite a bit, as when I was in St. Louis (the closest 4G coverage to me) I was getting download speeds of 15MB/sec. Verizon says that the 4G network will be up in Springfield by the end of June.

Anyway, software-wise, I love the customizability of the Android phones. Having widgets and 7 pages worth of main screen to put those on is nice. The music player widgets have been getting the most use from me. The MLB At Bat and ESPN widgets are nice as well. It's a far cry from the iPhone, which made it very simple, and casual user friendly, which is fine, but I like the increased functionality I get.

One critique I have of the Android market is that, while they do have a shitload of apps, some of the better ones hit the Apple App Store quicker. For example, no official Netflix app is available on Android yet, the ESPN app that allows you to watch programming is an Apple exclusive currently, and the Xfinity app that allowed users to watch programming on their phone hadn't been released to Android yet. It makes sense because I'm sure the ratio of Apple:Android users is well over one right now, but I think that will be changing over time.

Thunderbolt: as many know, the battery life blows balls. That is a fact. I circumvented that issue by buying a battery that doubled the capacity. Now, it did make the phone bigger, but it went from .3" thick to .6" thick, which reduces it's functionality with certain accessories, but that's not a big deal. And if you can't get a .6" phone in your pocket, please wear pants that are made for men. The rest of it is great. Screen is amazing. The kickstand is fucking insanely awesome. It's fast as piss and you need a lot of apps running before you see a degradation in the speed. I think I remember reading that it had a 1GHz processor which is awesome. The built-in 40GB of storage is a great thing to have. I have put about 8 days worth of music on there and I'm still good for another 10GB (the 30 used also includes apps, and other bullshit. The music is around 22GB) The voice recognition is pretty good and being able to text by talking to the phone is spectacular. Having Google Navigation for free is a great thing to have.

In summary of this shitty comparison that no one wanted to read, nor did BH really care to hear about, I would have to say I like my Thunderbolt better right now, but the provider I have has a lot to do with that. The iPhone was great, but hamstrung with the AT&T service.

So, now that you've heard this, I would like to preemptively put this phone on the market for about December/January range when I break it and I'll consider selling it at a discount of $300.00. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 08:26:26 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on April 26, 2011, 08:20:50 AM
So Yeti, as a iphone 4 user and a thunderbolt user, what's the skinny? I'm dying to know. Give us the 4-1-1 asap please.

Well, BH, that's a great question. I don't know if I have a cut and dried "this phone is the shiznit" answer. Like, one of the things I'm loving about the Thunderbolt that I wasn't getting from the iPhone is the unlimited Internet but that's a provider-level issue, not a phone-level, so it's unfair to judge it on that. I will say I used 8 GB in my first month of use with Verizon, while that would have cost me $85 from AT&T just for the Internet usage alone, while my total Verizon bill is about $5 more than that.

The future 4G usage of the Thunderbolt for me will probably make that usage increase quite a bit, as when I was in St. Louis (the closest 4G coverage to me) I was getting download speeds of 15MB/sec. Verizon says that the 4G network will be up in Springfield by the end of June.

Anyway, software-wise, I love the customizability of the Android phones. Having widgets and 7 pages worth of main screen to put those on is nice. The music player widgets have been getting the most use from me. The MLB At Bat and ESPN widgets are nice as well. It's a far cry from the iPhone, which made it very simple, and casual user friendly, which is fine, but I like the increased functionality I get.

One critique I have of the Android market is that, while they do have a shitload of apps, some of the better ones hit the Apple App Store quicker. For example, no official Netflix app is available on Android yet, the ESPN app that allows you to watch programming is an Apple exclusive currently, and the Xfinity app that allowed users to watch programming on their phone hadn't been released to Android yet. It makes sense because I'm sure the ratio of Apple:Android users is well over one right now, but I think that will be changing over time.

Thunderbolt: as many know, the battery life blows balls. That is a fact. I circumvented that issue by buying a battery that doubled the capacity. Now, it did make the phone bigger, but it went from .3" thick to .6" thick, which reduces it's functionality with certain accessories, but that's not a big deal. And if you can't get a .6" phone in your pocket, please wear pants that are made for men. The rest of it is great. Screen is amazing. The kickstand is fucking insanely awesome. It's fast as piss and you need a lot of apps running before you see a degradation in the speed. I think I remember reading that it had a 1GHz processor which is awesome. The built-in 40GB of storage is a great thing to have. I have put about 8 days worth of music on there and I'm still good for another 10GB (the 30 used also includes apps, and other bullshit. The music is around 22GB) The voice recognition is pretty good and being able to text by talking to the phone is spectacular. Having Google Navigation for free is a great thing to have.

In summary of this shitty comparison that no one wanted to read, nor did BH really care to hear about, I would have to say I like my Thunderbolt better right now, but the provider I have has a lot to do with that. The iPhone was great, but hamstrung with the AT&T service.

So, now that you've heard this, I would like to preemptively put this phone on the market for about December/January range when I break it and I'll consider selling it at a discount of $300.00. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up

I was actually serious. I noticed the Thunderbolt was dropped to $130 now, so I'm considering it. Else I'll wait for the iphone 5.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 08:58:34 AM »

You spend too much time and energy on your phone
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 09:15:48 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on April 26, 2011, 08:58:34 AM

Since Chad has the Evo and Yeti has the Thunderbolt, which are essentially the same phones. Making them essentially the same person.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 05:31:03 PM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on April 26, 2011, 08:58:34 AM

You should really get the Dubbs app on that thing, Yeti. Very user-friendly widget.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 06:56:57 PM »
Quote from: BH on April 26, 2011, 08:26:26 AM
I was actually serious. I noticed the Thunderbolt was dropped to $130 now, so I'm considering it. Else I'll wait for the iphone 5.

Well, if you're serious, I do think it's a great phone. About a month in, I haven't had any issues that were because the phone sucked. The only think is that I was burning through the battery, but that whopper battery took care of that. You're in Brolumbus now, right? I do know the 4G is up there.

Alright, humorous moment of poss Yetifail in the ED world. So, I put a new CD player in my car mainly so I could have the Auxillary input to listen to my music easily, because the FM transmitters suck. So, because I felt like being cheap and resourceful, I decided to install it myself (First mistake, I know, TDubbs). Had an issue with the mounting kit, and I had to kind of rig it up a little to get it in there. So, got it installed, and today, I was listening to a CD I bought and pulling into my drive. I pressed the button to turn on my garage door opener, and the song advanced forward. Thought it was strange, but I got into the garage and pressed the button again. Apparently, the button is somehow changing the song on the CD player. They aren't wired together or anything. Apparently the frequency the opener is set at must be the same of the remote on the player. So, yea. I thought that was interesting.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 07:14:36 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on April 27, 2011, 06:56:57 PM
Quote from: BH on April 26, 2011, 08:26:26 AM

Well, if you're serious, I do think it's a great phone. About a month in, I haven't had any issues that were because the phone sucked. The only think is that I was burning through the battery, but that whopper battery took care of that. You're in Brolumbus now, right? I do know the 4G is up there.

Alright, humorous moment of poss Yetifail in the ED world. So, I put a new CD player in my car mainly so I could have the Auxillary input to listen to my music easily, because the FM transmitters suck. So, because I felt like being cheap and resourceful, I decided to install it myself (First mistake, I know, TDubbs). Had an issue with the mounting kit, and I had to kind of rig it up a little to get it in there. So, got it installed, and today, I was listening to a CD I bought and pulling into my drive. I pressed the button to turn on my garage door opener, and the song advanced forward. Thought it was strange, but I got into the garage and pressed the button again. Apparently, the button is somehow changing the song on the CD player. They aren't wired together or anything. Apparently the frequency the opener is set at must be the same of the remote on the player. So, yea. I thought that was interesting.

Already?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 08:20:06 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 27, 2011, 07:14:36 PM
Alright, humorous moment of poss Yetifail in the ED world...

Already?

I hear it happens to all guys at some point in their lives. But 25 does seem a tad young.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 08:48:16 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 27, 2011, 08:20:06 PM

Already?

I hear it happens to all guys at some point in their lives. But 25 does seem a tad young.

Yetti's only 25? Jebus. I had him pegged (||) at 30-something for sure.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 09:12:55 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on April 27, 2011, 08:48:16 PM

Already?

And I wonder why these 21-25 year olds aren't into me (or I'm not into them. hyuck-hyuck-hyuck).

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 11:26:53 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on April 27, 2011, 09:12:55 PM

Already?

And I wonder why these 21-25 year olds aren't into me (or I'm not into them. hyuck-hyuck-hyuck).

Yeti, you're trying my patience, so I shall be blunt: I know what you're talking about better than you do. You have got to abandon the faint comforts of this rut.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 08:01:16 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on April 27, 2011, 11:26:53 PM
Quote from: Yeti on April 27, 2011, 09:12:55 PM

Already?

Yeti, you're trying my patience, so I shall be blunt: I know what you're talking about better than you do. You have got to abandon the faint comforts of this rut.

Finally. Desipio offers a mentoring program.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
Well, BH, I encountered my first issue... Yesterday, after getting a text and going to open it, the text opened and upon going back to the main text screen, my other text conversations were gone. After reading some stuff online, it sounds like this is something that has happened on various Android phones and not just the Thunderbolt. Regardless, it happened and sucks a little. Luckily I didn't have any texts (read sexts) that I wanted to keep.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2011, 07:23:47 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on April 29, 2011, 07:17:00 PM
Well, BH, I encountered my first issue... Yesterday, after getting a text and going to open it, the text opened and upon going back to the main text screen, my other text conversations were gone. After reading some stuff online, it sounds like this is something that has happened on various Android phones and not just the Thunderbolt. Regardless, it happened and sucks a little. Luckily I didn't have any texts (read sexts) that I wanted to keep.

I've read that they can be a bit buggy at times, followed by 12,000 comments from fagotrons stating why Android devices are superior to the iphone.