News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 195,081 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #900 on: March 23, 2015, 09:56:45 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 23, 2015, 09:15:29 AM
I have no idea where else to put this but this was a thing that happened on facebook that I think is kinda horrifically insensitive and I want to see if you people agree, especially those of you that have kids and imagine what you'd do in this guy's situation.

I don't know. Am I being harsh or is that really messed up?

It sounds pretty self-centered, but grief makes people downright weird. And they tend to try to reflect their own experiences in order to process it, which is why it comes off that way ("The death of Steve Jobs affected me in the following ways: I have an iPhone and a MacBook. I am so sad!"). I'm sure it came from a good place, but she would have been better off not saying anything at all, like most times on the Internet.

That said, the "love our girls like your own" part is phrased especially poorly.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #901 on: March 23, 2015, 10:03:07 AM »
Quote from: Eli on March 23, 2015, 09:56:45 AM
I have no idea where else to put this but this was a thing that happened on facebook that I think is kinda horrifically insensitive and I want to see if you people agree, especially those of you that have kids and imagine what you'd do in this guy's situation.

It sounds pretty self-centered, but grief makes people downright weird. And they tend to try to reflect their own experiences in order to process it, which is why it comes off that way ("The death of Steve Jobs affected me in the following ways: I have an iPhone and a MacBook. I am so sad!"). I'm sure it came from a good place, but she would have been better off not saying anything at all, like most times on the Internet.

That said, the "love our girls like your own" part is phrased especially poorly.

I think this is exactly right. Not everyone knows how to express love and sympathy well, but it's not wrong to try. The guy who got the message probably has a lot more on his mind than whatever that person posted so it's really not a huge deal. Just cringe-worthy for a lot of other people.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #902 on: March 23, 2015, 10:12:34 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 23, 2015, 10:03:07 AM

I think this is exactly right. Not everyone knows how to express love and sympathy well, but it's not wrong to try. The guy who got the message probably has a lot more on his mind than whatever that person posted so it's really not a huge deal. Just cringe-worthy for a lot of other people.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #903 on: March 23, 2015, 10:14:38 AM »

This is fair, I think part of my reaction to it (and I'm sure many peoples) is that she cannot stop talking about her kids ever, so it felt like yet another way to drag her kids into something. She actually got suspended from teaching for a week earlier this year because she got involved in one of her kid's squabbles and pulled a different kid out of class to basically give them shit for fighting with her daughter. So I kind of thought "jesus, lady, just, for once, leave your kids out of it and just express your condolences like everyone else."
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #904 on: March 23, 2015, 10:19:06 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 23, 2015, 10:14:38 AM

This is fair, I think part of my reaction to it (and I'm sure many peoples) is that she cannot stop talking about her kids ever, so it felt like yet another way to drag her kids into something. She actually got suspended from teaching for a week earlier this year because she got involved in one of her kid's squabbles and pulled a different kid out of class to basically give them shit for fighting with her daughter. So I kind of thought "jesus, lady, just, for once, leave your kids out of it and just express your condolences like everyone else."

Agreed. But that's how some people are. There are tons of reasons for it that a shrink could have a field day with. I think you're probably reaching an age where your Facebook feed is about to be absolutely fist fucked through the floor by the likes of her if it isn't already.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #905 on: March 23, 2015, 10:44:26 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 23, 2015, 10:19:06 AM
Quote from: SKO on March 23, 2015, 10:14:38 AM

Agreed. But that's how some people are. There are tons of reasons for it that a shrink could have a field day with. I think you're probably reaching an age where your Facebook feed is about to be absolutely fist fucked through the floor by the likes of her if it isn't already.

Facebook doesn't make people narcissistic assholes, but it points out who those people are. That's a nice service.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #906 on: March 23, 2015, 10:50:42 AM »
Seriously, unfriend her. There is no good reason to hang on. Sure, there's stuff for you to get some rage from, but you'll be much happier when you just delete her

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #907 on: March 23, 2015, 10:56:47 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 23, 2015, 10:50:42 AM
Seriously, unfriend her. There is no good reason to hang on. Sure, there's stuff for you to get some rage from, but you'll be much happier when you just delete her

I think she probably meant well enough in her post, but it also sounds like you basically hate her anyway, so do what Yeti says.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #908 on: March 23, 2015, 11:00:17 AM »

Or just block her without unfriending. Much more passive and you don't get the, "Why'd you unfriend me?" e-mail.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #909 on: March 23, 2015, 11:22:59 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on March 23, 2015, 10:56:47 AM

I think she probably meant well enough in her post, but it also sounds like you basically hate her anyway, so do what Yeti says.

I didn't used to, but her facebook posts have definitely led me to it.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #910 on: March 23, 2015, 11:37:45 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 23, 2015, 11:00:17 AM

Or just block her without unfriending. Much more passive and you don't get the, "Why'd you unfriend me?" e-mail.

Yeah, the "hide from news feed" is great for people who are always clogging up your news feed like a common Morph.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #911 on: March 23, 2015, 11:46:02 AM »
Quote from: Eli on March 23, 2015, 11:37:45 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 23, 2015, 11:00:17 AM

Yeah, the "hide from news feed" is great for people who are always clogging up your news feed like a common Morph.

Lent does that, too.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #912 on: March 23, 2015, 01:36:38 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 23, 2015, 10:12:34 AM

I love that photo.  Four people, four different emotions.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #913 on: March 23, 2015, 10:27:53 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 23, 2015, 01:36:38 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 23, 2015, 10:12:34 AM

I love that photo.  Four people, four different emotions.
I dunno, they look like four people trying to replicate one believable human emotion.

I'm a fan of the hide option on Facebook as well. When an old friend decides to go full Randroid/Birther/Men's Rights Activist/Overly Eager Obama Cheerleader/Carolina Gamecocks Fan, etc., it's nice to just tune them out for a while.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #914 on: April 06, 2015, 01:35:48 PM »
I really wish I had TWEETED THAT about my predicted headline for Gordo's recap, because I swear to God I said to my wife he was going to use this exact headline:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/baseball/7/71/501638/0h-155-million-cubs-new-ace-jon-lester-fall-cards-opener

Quote0-for-$155 million: Cubs, new ace Jon Lester fall to Cards in opener

Of course, the Cubs aren't going to go 0-162.

But after nearly four months of buildup and more than three hours of the stuff that counts, they're 0h-for-155 million.