News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: We Got Him II: Electric Boogaloo  ( 16,533 )

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: We Got Him II: Electric Boogaloo
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2011, 12:05:50 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 01, 2011, 11:58:54 PM
Quote from: flannj on May 01, 2011, 11:56:21 PM
I don't look at this as a time to be celebratory.

I feel more solemn and thankful than anything else.

Seriously, Na Na Na?

Sorry to be such a buzzkill.

And that's how I feel, honestly. But I understand those who feel like celebrating because they process things differently than I do. I understand now Gil didn't mean what I took him to mean, but I find it wrong to equate those celebrating the death of the mass murderer with those celebrating the mass murder itself. That's what Bernstein's tweet seemed to imply and I found that notion disgusting. I am earnestly sorry for my overreaction, but that to me seemed just wrong.

I think this is a great event and certainly purgative for this country. The news from this country has been an unrelenting stream of shit that it is great to celebrate the first thing that isn't terrible. 

However, the costs of the war have been huge. In blood, in fortune, in prestige. Oh and in the personal freedoms that this country used to take for granted.  Celebrating like the KUBBBIEZ won the pennant or something just seems gauche.

Watching this brings to mind those videos from 9/11, of Palestinians celebrating, and how angry that made me feel.  Celebrating this in the way that many are seems beneath us. But, hey, this is America, where they can (still, thankfully) do (and say!!!!) whatever they want.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2011, 12:10:45 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 02, 2011, 12:05:50 AM

Seriously, Na Na Na?

And that's how I feel, honestly. But I understand those who feel like celebrating because they process things differently than I do. I understand now Gil didn't mean what I took him to mean, but I find it wrong to equate those celebrating the death of the mass murderer with those celebrating the mass murder itself. That's what Bernstein's tweet seemed to imply and I found that notion disgusting. I am earnestly sorry for my overreaction, but that to me seemed just wrong.

I think this is a great event and certainly purgative for this country. The news from this country has been an unrelenting stream of shit that it is great to celebrate the first thing that isn't terrible. 

However, the costs of the war have been huge. In blood, in fortune, in prestige. Oh and in the personal freedoms that this country used to take for granted.  Celebrating like the KUBBBIEZ won the pennant or something just seems gauche.

Watching this brings to mind those videos from 9/11, of Palestinians celebrating, and how angry that made me feel.  Celebrating this in the way that many are seems beneath us. But, hey, this is America, where they can (still, thankfully) do (and say!!!!) whatever they want.

If one could still get OTC ipecac, I'd be having a purgative event at the moment. A "great event"?
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2011, 12:11:49 AM »

Act like you've been there before.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2011, 12:15:00 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on May 02, 2011, 12:10:45 AM

Seriously, Na Na Na?

If one could still get OTC ipecac, I'd be having a purgative event at the moment. A "great event"?

Well, it certainly is historic, no?
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2011, 12:17:57 AM »
Quote from: flannj on May 02, 2011, 12:11:49 AM

Act like you've been there before.

This.

I'm happy the fucker is dead too, bit it seems like people are celebrating that we won a war. We haven't won anything until we can bring shampoo on a plane again.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2011, 12:19:16 AM »
Quote from: Tony on May 02, 2011, 12:17:57 AM
We haven't won anything until we can bring shampoo on a plane again.

A thousand times THIS.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2011, 12:21:36 AM »
Quote from: Bort on May 02, 2011, 12:19:16 AM

A thousand times THIS.

I really don't need much shampoo.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2011, 12:21:56 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 02, 2011, 12:15:00 AM

Seriously, Na Na Na?

What's the last dénouement that really stuck with you, Gil?
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2011, 12:24:07 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on May 02, 2011, 12:21:56 AM

Seriously, Na Na Na?

Well, they did cancel "Enterprise."

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2011, 12:25:20 AM »
Quote from: flannj on May 02, 2011, 12:21:36 AM
Quote from: Bort on May 02, 2011, 12:19:16 AM

A thousand times THIS.

I really don't need much shampoo.

"Rinse and repeat, always repeat..."

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2011, 12:29:48 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 02, 2011, 12:24:07 AM

Seriously, Na Na Na?

However, the costs of the war have been huge. In blood, in fortune, in prestige. Oh and in the personal freedoms that this country used to take for granted.  Celebrating like the KUBBBIEZ won the pennant or something just seems gauche.

Watching this brings to mind those videos from 9/11, of Palestinians celebrating, and how angry that made me feel.  Celebrating this in the way that many are seems beneath us. But, hey, this is America, where they can (still, thankfully) do (and say!!!!) whatever they want.

Maybe they'll bring it back when it's revealed that Jonathan Archer killed bin Laden as part of the Temporal Cold War?

But I'm all for the celebrations--I think it's good to differentiate ourselves as a people who will celebrate the death of a truly evil man, who died in an operation where caution was taken not to kill innocents, as opposed to a people who ceelbrate the deaths of 3000+ innocents..  Even though it would've been more than justified to firebomb the place and pull his charred carcass from the rubble.

Nothing is too crass in celebrating bin Laden's death, including taking a giant steamer on his corpose
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2011, 12:34:47 AM »
Guh. I'm screwed. Also, who shot RW McQuarters? These celebrations have gone too far.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2011, 12:38:52 AM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on May 02, 2011, 12:29:48 AM

Seriously, Na Na Na?

However, the costs of the war have been huge. In blood, in fortune, in prestige. Oh and in the personal freedoms that this country used to take for granted.  Celebrating like the KUBBBIEZ won the pennant or something just seems gauche.

Watching this brings to mind those videos from 9/11, of Palestinians celebrating, and how angry that made me feel.  Celebrating this in the way that many are seems beneath us. But, hey, this is America, where they can (still, thankfully) do (and say!!!!) whatever they want.

Maybe they'll bring it back when it's revealed that Jonathan Archer killed bin Laden as part of the Temporal Cold War?

But I'm all for the celebrations--I think it's good to differentiate ourselves as a people who will celebrate the death of a truly evil man, who died in an operation where caution was taken not to kill innocents, as opposed to a people who ceelbrate the deaths of 3000+ innocents..  Even though it would've been more than justified to firebomb the place and pull his charred carcass from the rubble.

Nothing is too crass in celebrating bin Laden's death, including taking a giant steamer on his corpose

You're a regular Shirley Phelps.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2011, 12:44:29 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on May 02, 2011, 12:38:52 AM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on May 02, 2011, 12:29:48 AM

Seriously, Na Na Na?

You're a regular Shirley Phelps.

Please.  There are no more than a handful of people for who I'd say actively celebrat their deaths.  Hitler and his close supporters.  Arafat.   The white dudes who kept Apartheid going for so long...

As for the corpse comment--it was dry hyperbole.  But I really think my reaction to someone doing that would be to shrug, not to think it was all that wrong or to empathize with anyone who would protest such a thing.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2011, 12:45:39 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 02, 2011, 12:34:47 AM
Guh. I'm screwed. Also, who shot RW McQuarters? These celebrations have gone too far.

Who shot RW? Probably somebody that hated that stupid Super Bowl Shuffle rap he did. So it could be pretty much anyone.