News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Beer  ( 214,285 )

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Beer
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2010, 03:50:58 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 13, 2010, 03:41:18 PM
Quote from: PenPho on May 13, 2010, 11:42:12 AM
Quote from: Slaky on May 12, 2010, 10:26:43 PM
Is this the new beer thread or is this where we make fun of those with terrible taste in beer?

I just picked up a Hop Stoopid and a Wico Tango Foxtrot. Really looking forward to both.

Also, Sofie is tasty - I hear it's going to be on tap at Goose on Clybourn.

I've been making out with a lot of 90 Schilling lately from Odell.  
It's my favorite beer of the moment.

Odell also has a decent Red Ale for the summer, it's almost like a Red IPA (6.5%), which is unique. I'll enjoy it over the summer, but I won't miss it when it's gone.

Between 1554 and 90 Schilling, I would probably spend the rest of my days as a drunken hobo very happy married single man if I ever moved to Ft. Collins.

I've never seen that beer here - wonder if it's available. You're out west right? Wondering if you can get Pliny the Elder anywhere. That is the best IPA I have ever tasted. The smell alone is worth the cost.

Yes, Arizona...so lots of access to good West Coast microbrews.

Never had Pliny the Elder, or any of the Russian River beers, though I've long wanted to try them.  Haven't seen them at our local beer-o-rama (place rocks) or Whole Foods...usually between those 2 places I can find most anything that's available in this area.

Maybe I'll get lucky and the Beer of the Month (JPen is a fabulous woman) will be that next month.

If you're looking for a good IPA, I had the Stone IPA (Levitation Ale) a couple weeks ago, not sure if you can get it there, but it was pretty solid.

edit: Looks like the snobs at BA are classifying Levitation as an Amber, but it certainly felt like an IPA, same hoppiness.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2010, 04:07:12 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on May 13, 2010, 03:50:58 PM
Is this the new beer thread or is this where we make fun of those with terrible taste in beer?

I just picked up a Hop Stoopid and a Wico Tango Foxtrot. Really looking forward to both.

Odell also has a decent Red Ale for the summer, it's almost like a Red IPA (6.5%), which is unique. I'll enjoy it over the summer, but I won't miss it when it's gone.

Between 1554 and 90 Schilling, I would probably spend the rest of my days as a drunken hobo very happy married single man if I ever moved to Ft. Collins.

I've never seen that beer here - wonder if it's available. You're out west right? Wondering if you can get Pliny the Elder anywhere. That is the best IPA I have ever tasted. The smell alone is worth the cost.

Never had Pliny the Elder, or any of the Russian River beers, though I've long wanted to try them.  Haven't seen them at our local beer-o-rama (place rocks) or Whole Foods...usually between those 2 places I can find most anything that's available in this area.

Maybe I'll get lucky and the Beer of the Month (JPen is a fabulous woman) will be that next month.

If you're looking for a good IPA, I had the Stone IPA (Levitation Ale) a couple weeks ago, not sure if you can get it there, but it was pretty solid.

Stone just arrived in Chicago a month ago or so. I've had a couple of them and plan to try them all at some point.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2010, 04:09:37 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 13, 2010, 04:07:12 PM

Never had Pliny the Elder, or any of the Russian River beers, though I've long wanted to try them.  Haven't seen them at our local beer-o-rama (place rocks) or Whole Foods...usually between those 2 places I can find most anything that's available in this area.

Stone just arrived in Chicago a month ago or so. I've had a couple of them and plan to try them all at some point.

I edited my last post since it appears Levitation isn't a technical IPA, though it sure seemed like one.

Don't know if the Oaked Arrogant Bastard came over with the rest of the Stone products, it's pretty pricey (cheapest I've seen is $12.99 for a 6 pack) but it has a pretty unique flavor and will put you on your ass if you have more than 3 or so, which is especially awesome if you have young children.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2010, 04:28:07 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on May 13, 2010, 04:09:37 PM
Quote from: Slaky on May 13, 2010, 04:07:12 PM

I edited my last post since it appears Levitation isn't a technical IPA, though it sure seemed like one.

Don't know if the Oaked Arrogant Bastard came over with the rest of the Stone products, it's pretty pricey (cheapest I've seen is $12.99 for a 6 pack) but it has a pretty unique flavor and will put you on your ass if you have more than 3 or so, which is especially awesome if you have young children.

But I've only had three beers!

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2010, 07:02:28 PM »
I really like to do this:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/259/1855

Right this very second I'm torn between the gym and the Bar on Buena where they have bottles of THIS.

Gym it is. See you tomorrow, Brother Bernardus.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2010, 10:20:56 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on May 13, 2010, 07:02:28 PM

Right this very second I'm torn between the gym and the Bar on Buena where they have bottles of THIS.

Never have had nor heard of it...would love to give it a shot.

Glad to see this thread getting filled with recommendations of excellent beer, as it should be.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2010, 10:36:17 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on May 13, 2010, 10:20:56 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on May 13, 2010, 07:02:28 PM

Never have had or nor heard of it...would love to give it a shot.

Glad to see this thread getting filled with recommendations of excellent beer, as it should be.

If only Prior were good for 8 in game 6... (weeps)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2010, 08:34:32 PM »
Made a quick beer run to Binny's. Father in law is flying in tomorrow so I wanted to have something interesting for us to sit around and drink while I nod, laugh and pretend to understand the version of English he speaks.

Picked up a sixer of Lagunitas' new Hairy Eyeball ale. At 8.8 ABV I'm sure this will kick my ass in. It's an American Strong Ale which essentially just means ales that are over 7%.

Also grabbed a large bottle of Stone's Old Guardian which is a barleywine which my brother (who has actually taken the first part of the exams to become a Cicerone) is quite fond of. I like to call him when I'm walking the aisles to find out what's good. He's a beer savant, no lie. Anyway, this one clocks in at 11.20% ABV which should be deadly.

Finally I found their last bottle of Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout which clocks in at a wobbly 18% ABV. Most people can't finish the 12 oz. bottle without splitting it as it will wreck the finest of men. I have heard tales of this drink mixed with their 120 Minute IPA called Heaven and Hell which just sounds too awesome to describe.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2010, 09:52:34 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 14, 2010, 08:34:32 PM
Made a quick beer run to Binny's. Father in law is flying in tomorrow so I wanted to have something interesting for us to sit around and drink while I nod, laugh and pretend to understand the version of English he speaks.

Picked up a sixer of Lagunitas' new Hairy Eyeball ale. At 8.8 ABV I'm sure this will kick my ass in. It's an American Strong Ale which essentially just means ales that are over 7%.

Also grabbed a large bottle of Stone's Old Guardian which is a barleywine which my brother (who has actually taken the first part of the exams to become a Cicerone) is quite fond of. I like to call him when I'm walking the aisles to find out what's good. He's a beer savant, no lie. Anyway, this one clocks in at 11.20% ABV which should be deadly.

Finally I found their last bottle of Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout which clocks in at a wobbly 18% ABV. Most people can't finish the 12 oz. bottle without splitting it as it will wreck the finest of men. I have heard tales of this drink mixed with their 120 Minute IPA called Heaven and Hell which just sounds too awesome to describe.

Had the Hairy Eyeball last weekend.  It was good.  Reminded me of another beer that I had before but I can't remember.  Budweiser maybe?
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2010, 10:11:03 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 14, 2010, 08:34:32 PMAnyway, this one clocks in at 11.20% ABV which should be deadly.

Midori spritzers are the neutron bomb.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2010, 10:51:35 PM »

Lagunitas has another strong one called Brown Shugga...it's something like 9.8%.
Not bad...I liked one, didn't like 3.
I think it's seasonal b/c I haven't seen it in a few months.

120 Minute IPA? I was unaware of this, have had the 60 and 90....also had a chance to try Dogfish's Raison d'etre lately, a really, really interesting beer. Doesn't taste like anything I've ever had before.

In typical Dogfish fashion it's 8%+.

As for tonight, I'm about to embark on a Stout adventure, bought a mix 6-pack of six different types of Stouts to see if I can find a new favorite.

Details to follow.

Beer is wonderful.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2010, 10:59:49 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on May 15, 2010, 10:51:35 PM

Lagunitas has another strong one called Brown Shugga...it's something like 9.8%.
Not bad...I liked one, didn't like 3.
I think it's seasonal b/c I haven't seen it in a few months.

120 Minute IPA? I was unaware of this, have had the 60 and 90....also had a chance to try Dogfish's Raison d'etre lately, a really, really interesting beer. Doesn't taste like anything I've ever had before.

In typical Dogfish fashion it's 8%+.

As for tonight, I'm about to embark on a Stout adventure, bought a mix 6-pack of six different types of Stouts to see if I can find a new favorite.

Details to follow.

Beer is wonderful.

The 120 Minute IPA is amazing. You have to find it when they make a new batch. It's been awhile since they've distributed it so it's not something you'll likely find until they put out more. It's what you think it is - 18% ABV and a 12 oz. bottle goes for around 10 bucks. I had my first at a place called Jerry's on Division and it knocked me silly. One bottle will have you spinning. It's to be consumed very slowly in a small glass. Really good with cheese. If it comes back out and  you can't find any, I'd easily ship one to you. It's that good.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2010, 06:31:57 PM »
Damn, sons. Now I feel like a Chad for drinking nothing but Dos Equis Amber and Birra Morretti all weekend.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2010, 08:09:26 PM »

Miller Lite now has a "vortex bottle".

JO?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2010, 09:08:13 PM »
Quote from: Fork on May 16, 2010, 08:09:26 PM

Miller Lite now has a "vortex bottle".

JO?

It's too bad the slogan isn't "grooved for your pleasure."

"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!