News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The "Jason Heyward Drinks Delicious Cardinal Tears" Sploogetime Thread  ( 40,072 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The "Jason Heyward Drinks Delicious Cardinal Tears" Sploogetime Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2016, 06:29:40 AM »
I'll bump it for his big 2 out, 2 strikes, 2 run single off a tough lefthander to get the Cubs going and turn the game around last night.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2016, 03:27:32 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 12, 2016, 06:29:40 AM
I'll bump it for his big 2 out, 2 strikes, 2 run single off a tough lefthander to get the Cubs going and turn the game around last night.

Matt Holliday might not be the most mobile dude in the league but that throw still had to be a perfect strike to nail him.  Fuck you, St. Louis.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2016, 03:50:16 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on April 20, 2016, 03:27:32 AM

Matt Holliday might not be the most mobile dude in the league but that throw still had to be a perfect strike to nail him.  Fuck you, St. Louis.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2016, 07:41:38 AM »

Yeah, the slow start offensively is a bummer (although totally normal for his career, and he's hit into some rotten ass luck this series), but the man is like the walking definition of dWAR. It feels like he saves them at least one run a game defensively every time he's out there.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2016, 08:18:14 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 20, 2016, 07:41:38 AM

Yeah, the slow start offensively is a bummer (although totally normal for his career, and he's hit into some rotten ass luck this series), but the man is like the walking definition of dWAR. It feels like he saves them at least one run a game defensively every time he's out there.

He's still crushing the baseball, though. Liners all over the wheres.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2016, 08:28:43 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 20, 2016, 08:18:14 AM

Yeah, his hard % has been climbing back towards his normal career rate, and his BABIP is about 80 points below where it normally is. He'll get there soon enough. I'm not worried about him or any of the players who aren't hitting a lot right now. The approaches have mostly been good, and Garcia is just the kind of junk thrower that tends to give this team fits. They did well just to wait him out and get him out after 5.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2016, 08:32:58 AM »

I've been saying he's the best Cub RF since Hawk but let's be honest--that's a slight on Jhey Hey.  Dawson--though a Hall of Fame defender in his prime--was in his 30's and had 2 shitty knees when he patrolled right for the Cubs.  He still had a cannon and his range was acceptable for Wrigley....but I can say there's no question for me that I am--right now-- watching the best player I've ever seen wearing that uniform and playing that position.  Good god.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2016, 08:34:30 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 20, 2016, 08:28:43 AM

Yeah, his hard % has been climbing back towards his normal career rate, and his BABIP is about 80 points below where it normally is. He'll get there soon enough. I'm not worried about him or any of the players who aren't hitting a lot right now. The approaches have mostly been good, and Garcia is just the kind of junk thrower that tends to give this team fits. They did well just to wait him out and get him out after 5.

DPD.

I'm actually excited by it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2016, 08:37:04 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 20, 2016, 08:34:30 AM

DPD.

I'm actually excited by it.

Yeah if they're averaging 5.6 runs per game with Rizzo, Zobrist, Heyward, Soler, and Russell all hitting below .225...they're going to be in damn good shape when those guys start hitting.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2016, 08:51:58 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 20, 2016, 08:37:04 AM
Yeah if they're averaging 5.6 runs per game with Rizzo, Zobrist, Heyward, Soler, and Russell all hitting below .225...they're going to be in damn good shape when those guys start hitting.

Just looking at some numbers...all of these guys' poor batting average is almost entirely bad luck (example: Rizzo has a .139 BABIP because he seems to be hitting too many fly balls that are getting caught), it would seem.  None are striking out any more than expected and all have a walk rate that is in line with career norms or better.  It's kind of remarkable, really.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2016, 08:55:15 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 20, 2016, 08:51:58 AM

Just looking at some numbers...all of these guys' poor batting average is almost entirely bad luck (example: Rizzo has a .139 BABIP because he seems to be hitting too many fly balls that are getting caught), it would seem.  None are striking out any more than expected and all have a walk rate that is in line with career norms or better.  It's kind of remarkable, really.

Yeah, in a lot of ways it's similar to last year's slow start offensively, but this team is walking more than last year's team was in the first half, so they are able to weather the cold periods a lot better, and then the pitching has been so excellent it doesn't really matter.

Having a great team with an almost immaculately constructed roster is the best fucking thing ever.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2016, 09:13:18 AM »

My hard % has been pretty constant this year

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2016, 09:15:18 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on April 20, 2016, 09:13:18 AM

Yeti made me Muttley

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2016, 09:38:35 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 20, 2016, 08:55:15 AM
Quote from: Oleg on April 20, 2016, 08:51:58 AM

Yeah, in a lot of ways it's similar to last year's slow start offensively, but this team is walking more than last year's team was in the first half, so they are able to weather the cold periods a lot better, and then the pitching has been so excellent it doesn't really matter.

Having a great team with an almost immaculately constructed roster is the best fucking thing ever.

They fixed the one big weakness that showed itself last October, which is going to pay huge dividends this Fall.  That said, odds are there is going to be a warm stretch sometime this summer when most of the team is clicking.  Their opponent may need to forfeit.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2016, 09:40:17 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 20, 2016, 09:15:18 AM
Quote from: Yeti on April 20, 2016, 09:13:18 AM

Yeti made me Muttley

I had that same joke and scrolled down quickly to save FACE. I appreciate it.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.