News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009 College Football Thread  ( 117,196 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2009 College Football Thread
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2009, 10:14:23 AM »
Quote from: Ghost of Dave Rosello on September 09, 2009, 10:11:11 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on September 09, 2009, 09:39:12 AM

(Besides, if you really wanted to play a trump card, you'd say that since half of the University of Iowa student body is comprised of Illinois rejects, the Illini should get partial credit for Iowa's recent success.)

Or, half the University of Iowa student body is comprised of Illinoisans who were smart enough to not want to spend four years in Champaign.

Because Iowa City's such a god damn paradise. They have a Bennigans at the Coralville Mall.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2009, 10:24:06 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 09, 2009, 10:14:23 AM

(Besides, if you really wanted to play a trump card, you'd say that since half of the University of Iowa student body is comprised of Illinois rejects, the Illini should get partial credit for Iowa's recent success.)

Or, half the University of Iowa student body is comprised of Illinoisans who were smart enough to not want to spend four years in Champaign.

Because Iowa City's such a god damn paradise. They have a Bennigans at the Coralville Mall.

Meh, we're all morons for going to school in the shitty Midwest instead of somewhere with warm weather and tanned meatshades.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2009, 10:25:12 AM »

Coralville != Iowa City

Besides, I lived near the Coral Ridge Mall for two years and let me tell you -- if you're going to spend any substantial amount of time in there, you're going to want to get good and lubricated lest you succumb to temptation and regain consciousness while standing over a pile of bodies.

Yes, it's tacky and the food atrocious, but as the only place in the Mall that serves alcohol, that place is a fucking godsend.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2009, 10:40:43 AM »
Quote from: R-V on September 09, 2009, 10:24:06 AM

Meh, we're all morons for going to school in the shitty Midwest instead of somewhere with warm weather and tanned meatshades.

Argument over. Why the fuck didn't I apply to UT-Austin or one of the Southern Cal schools? WHY

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2009, 10:41:40 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on September 09, 2009, 10:25:12 AM

Coralville != Iowa City

Besides, I lived near the Coral Ridge Mall for two years and let me tell you -- if you're going to spend any substantial amount of time in there, you're going to want to get good and lubricated lest you succumb to temptation and regain consciousness while standing over a pile of bodies.

Yes, it's tacky and the food atrocious, but as the only place in the Mall that serves alcohol, that place is a fucking godsend.
Amazing that people go to Coralville now to drink.  Way back when, you only went to Coralville to get pancakes at Country Kitchen.  Old Capitol Center was the only mall back in the day.  Everything was walking distance -- no need to drive drunk.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2009, 10:45:51 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 09, 2009, 10:41:40 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on September 09, 2009, 10:25:12 AM

Coralville != Iowa City

Amazing that people go to Coralville now to drink.  Way back when, you only went to Coralville to get pancakes at Country Kitchen.  Old Capitol Center was the only mall back in the day.  Everything was walking distance -- no need to drive drunk.

People don't go to Coralville to drink. The PedMall is still the place to go for drinking. People go to Coralville to shop. People who get dragged along with those people go to Bennigan's to drink because it helps quiet the voices.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2009, 10:52:44 AM »
Quote from: Fork on September 09, 2009, 09:23:20 AM
We're losing sight here of the fact that IAN has won Huey over to his side...

That made my freakin' day.  It really did.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2009, 11:00:13 AM »
The Vine is probably the best place in Coralville to drink. The only "bars" would be the American Legion, Charlie's, and Nickelodeon (all shitholes). The Edge, Flannigan's (in the IRP building), and Old Chicago are eating/drinking combos. Bennigan's and Chili's are near the mall.

Coralville used to be a nice refuge from the student areas, but it has become a refuge for those seeking a quicker welfare check.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2009, 11:03:15 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on September 09, 2009, 11:00:13 AM
The Vine is probably the best place in Coralville to drink. The only "bars" would be the American Legion, Charlie's, and Nickelodeon (all shitholes). The Edge, Flannigan's (in the IRP building), and Old Chicago are eating/drinking combos. Bennigan's and Chili's are near the mall.

Coralville used to be a nice refuge from the student areas, but it has become a refuge for those seeking a quicker welfare check.

Wow.

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2009, 11:28:57 AM »
What's the "wow" for? You live(d) near Coral Ridge Mall and you didn't notice that?
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2009, 11:33:43 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on September 09, 2009, 11:28:57 AM
What's the "wow" for? You live(d) near Coral Ridge Mall and you didn't notice that?

"Lived" on Holiday Rd., but I'm not really sure. What was I supposed to notice? And why does living in Coralville make it happen quicker?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2009, 11:56:37 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on September 09, 2009, 11:33:43 AM
Quote from: Dave B on September 09, 2009, 11:28:57 AM

"Lived" on Holiday Rd., but I'm not really sure. What was I supposed to notice? And why does living in Coralville make it happen quicker?

Do they distribute welfare checks at Bennigan's in Iowa?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2009, 12:04:22 PM »
I've been reading through this thread and I'm really kicking myself for not having gone to Iowa. I can always move there, though.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2009, 12:07:51 PM »
Quote from: Slak on September 09, 2009, 12:04:22 PM
I've been reading through this thread and I'm really kicking myself for not having gone to Iowa. I can always move there, though.

Sounds like you get your welfare money faster by starting in Coralville.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2009, 12:41:55 PM »
Quote from: Dave B on September 09, 2009, 11:00:13 AM

There's that bar that's in the same building as the Power Company or whatever that nice restaurant is...but the bar is decidedly less nice.

If I want to drink at the Vine, I go to the one on campus though.  I'll probably be spending many a Monday there this fall before I move to Minneapolis.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!