News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009 College Football Thread  ( 117,156 )

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2009 College Football Thread
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2009, 10:55:07 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on September 21, 2009, 10:48:19 AM
Quote from: thehawk on September 19, 2009, 09:10:20 PM
Quote from: Oleg on September 19, 2009, 01:50:08 PM
Quote from: MAD on September 19, 2009, 01:37:41 PM
Anyone else annoyed that the Big 10 Network's got an in-state battle between Michigan schools, but two schools which are closer to Chicago, combined, than Ann Arbor can't get their game on in Chicago?   

Very.

RCN provides all 3 BTN channels in HD , great to watch NIU take it to Purdue.  Too bad MSU couldn't do the same in South Bend

You hate ND so much that you wouldn't root for them to beat a conference rival?  That's pretty dumb.

Given the strength of schedule component to the BCS rankings, wouldn't you want your conference rivals to beat out-of conference schools?

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2009, 11:11:13 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on September 21, 2009, 10:55:07 AM
Anyone else annoyed that the Big 10 Network's got an in-state battle between Michigan schools, but two schools which are closer to Chicago, combined, than Ann Arbor can't get their game on in Chicago?   

Very.

RCN provides all 3 BTN channels in HD , great to watch NIU take it to Purdue.  Too bad MSU couldn't do the same in South Bend

You hate ND so much that you wouldn't root for them to beat a conference rival?  That's pretty dumb.

Given the strength of schedule component to the BCS rankings, wouldn't you want your conference rivals to beat out-of conference schools?

I've never followed a conference school, but are tie-breakers for conference championships based at all on non-conference records?
Hire Jim Essian!

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on September 21, 2009, 11:11:13 AM

Very.

RCN provides all 3 BTN channels in HD , great to watch NIU take it to Purdue.  Too bad MSU couldn't do the same in South Bend

You hate ND so much that you wouldn't root for them to beat a conference rival?  That's pretty dumb.

I've never followed a conference school, but are tie-breakers for conference championships based at all on non-conference records?

http://gregdooley.com/archive05/1031BigTenTiebreaker.html

QuoteIt's another tight Big Ten football race for the championship and to determine the team that will receive the Big Ten's automatic BCS bid.  Here are the rules:

• If there is a two-way tie, the winner of the game between the two will represent the conference. If the teams did not play each other, it is then based on overall winning percentage.

• If there is still a tie, the most recent team to earn a BCS automatic selection is eliminated.

• If three teams are tied and if one team defeated both of the others, that team is the representative.

• If two of the three teams defeated the third team, that team is eliminated and the remaining two teams revert to the two-team tie procedure.

• If two of the three did not play each other, the BCS representative is determined by winning percentage in the overall schedule. If all three have the same winning percentage, the most recent representative is eliminated and the other two revert to the two-team tie procedure.

• If four or more are tied ... if one team defeated each of the other three, then that team is the representative.

• If two of the four teams defeated each of the other two, those two are eliminated and the remaining two revert to the two-team tie procedure.

• If three of the four defeated the fourth, the fourth is eliminated, then it reverts to the three-team tie procedure.

• If two of the four did not play each other, the representative will be determined by overall winning percentage.

• If one of the four teams is eliminated through percentage, the remaining teams revert to three-team tie procedure.

• If all four have the same winning percentage, the most recently Big Ten representative is eliminated and the remaining three must go through the three-team tie procedure.

Not technically the tiebreaker rules for the conference championship, but isn't going to the BCS bowl the more important matter?

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2009, 11:24:13 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on September 21, 2009, 11:17:00 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on September 21, 2009, 11:11:13 AM

Very.

RCN provides all 3 BTN channels in HD , great to watch NIU take it to Purdue.  Too bad MSU couldn't do the same in South Bend

You hate ND so much that you wouldn't root for them to beat a conference rival?  That's pretty dumb.

http://gregdooley.com/archive05/1031BigTenTiebreaker.html

QuoteIt's another tight Big Ten football race for the championship and to determine the team that will receive the Big Ten's automatic BCS bid.  Here are the rules:

• If there is a two-way tie, the winner of the game between the two will represent the conference. If the teams did not play each other, it is then based on overall winning percentage.

• If there is still a tie, the most recent team to earn a BCS automatic selection is eliminated.

• If three teams are tied and if one team defeated both of the others, that team is the representative.

• If two of the three teams defeated the third team, that team is eliminated and the remaining two teams revert to the two-team tie procedure.

• If two of the three did not play each other, the BCS representative is determined by winning percentage in the overall schedule. If all three have the same winning percentage, the most recent representative is eliminated and the other two revert to the two-team tie procedure.

• If four or more are tied ... if one team defeated each of the other three, then that team is the representative.

• If two of the four teams defeated each of the other two, those two are eliminated and the remaining two revert to the two-team tie procedure.

• If three of the four defeated the fourth, the fourth is eliminated, then it reverts to the three-team tie procedure.

• If two of the four did not play each other, the representative will be determined by overall winning percentage.

• If one of the four teams is eliminated through percentage, the remaining teams revert to three-team tie procedure.

• If all four have the same winning percentage, the most recently Big Ten representative is eliminated and the remaining three must go through the three-team tie procedure.

Not technically the tiebreaker rules for the conference championship, but isn't going to the BCS bowl the more important matter?

Okay, dude.  You win another internet argument.  Good job.
Hire Jim Essian!

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2009, 01:45:08 PM »

Very.

My logic is two-fold, and has very little to do with the tie-breakers (or logic- but thats College Football).

I generally root for Big Ten schools when they face out of conference competition.  I figure it makes the conference stronger in the eyes of the the voters, which helps schools like NU when it comes to bowl time (I am not detached from reality to consider BCS possibilities for NU, either when my prior post was posted, or now after they crapped the bed in the Carrier Dome). 

I can't really stand Charlie Weis, and I figured a loss to MSU would seal his fate (actually thought we shared that view)
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2009, 02:03:28 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on September 21, 2009, 01:45:08 PM

Very.

My logic is two-fold, and has very little to do with the tie-breakers (or logic- but thats College Football).

I generally root for Big Ten schools when they face out of conference competition.  I figure it makes the conference stronger in the eyes of the the voters, which helps schools like NU when it comes to bowl time (I am not detached from reality to consider BCS possibilities for NU, either when my prior post was posted, or now after they crapped the bed in the Carrier Dome). 

I can't really stand Charlie Weis, and I figured a loss to MSU would seal his fate (actually thought we shared that view)

Oh, we totally share that view.  I'm not to the point of openly rooting against the team, but I really wish he was no longer coaching at ND.  I think when they get depantsed by Southern Cal (again), it might be the final blow.

Speaking of Southern Cal, how terrible of a coach was Ty Willingham?  Washington beats Southern Cal with "Ty's guys" after he couldn't muster a single win out of them last year?  And in 2005, Weis almost did the same thing.  My Ty hatred is still strong.
Hire Jim Essian!

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2009, 02:10:49 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on September 21, 2009, 02:03:28 PM

Very.

Oh, we totally share that view.  I'm not to the point of openly rooting against the team, but I really wish he was no longer coaching at ND.  I think when they get depantsed by Southern Cal (again), it might be the final blow.

Speaking of Southern Cal, how terrible of a coach was Ty Willingham?  Washington beats Southern Cal with "Ty's guys" after he couldn't muster a single win out of them last year?  And in 2005, Weis almost did the same thing.  My Ty hatred racism is still strong.

Right.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2009, 02:18:13 PM »
Quote from: CT III on September 21, 2009, 02:10:49 PM

Very.

Speaking of Southern Cal, how terrible of a coach was Ty Willingham?  Washington beats Southern Cal with "Ty's guys" after he couldn't muster a single win out of them last year?  And in 2005, Weis almost did the same thing.  My Ty hatred racism is still strong.

Right.

Whatever, dude.  I have tons of friends who are college football coaches.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2009, 05:41:39 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on September 21, 2009, 02:18:13 PM

Very.

Right.

Whatever, dude.  I have tons of friends who are college football coaches shitty relief pitchers.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2009, 08:48:01 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on September 21, 2009, 05:41:39 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on September 21, 2009, 02:18:13 PM

Very.

Right.

Whatever, dude.  I have tons of friends who are college football coaches shitty relief and white pitchers.

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #130 on: September 21, 2009, 10:56:30 PM »
And Willingham really didn't have the reputation as a recruiting maven when he came to Notre Dame...
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2009, 07:30:44 AM »
Quote from: BC on September 21, 2009, 10:56:30 PM
And Willingham really didn't have the reputation as a recruiting maven when he came to Notre Dame...

Are you kidding me? When that guy was at Stanford he recruited Chad Hutchinson. Yes. THE Chad Hutchinson.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2009, 01:55:42 PM »
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16