News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009 College Football Thread  ( 117,118 )

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2009 College Football Thread
« Reply #405 on: October 31, 2009, 02:30:12 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 31, 2009, 02:24:27 PM
I still really have no clue how good Iowa's football team is. I'll just let that all play out. But I'm done speculating on one thing. Bob Davie is the worst announcer in sports. He makes Tim McCarver look like John Madden circa 1985. My head is fucking throbbing right now. Oh my goodness gracious me.

+1/LSA/ME TOO/THIS/DITTO

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #406 on: October 31, 2009, 05:21:41 PM »
Who's announcing this Illinois game? Because they agree with Chuck and think it's what they're ranking is when they play them. He's in good company apparently.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #407 on: October 31, 2009, 05:36:13 PM »
I still really have no clue how good Iowa's football team is. I'll just let that all play out. But I'm done speculating on one thing. Bob Davie is the worst announcer in sports. He makes Tim McCarver look like John Madden circa 1985. My head is fucking throbbing right now. Oh my goodness gracious me.

Chip Caray is still employed as a broadcaster, right?
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #408 on: October 31, 2009, 07:24:30 PM »
Had the volume down during the IL/Michigan game.

So why did the officials decide to give Illinois the ball at their own 1?  Looked like the Michigan running back fumbled in the endzone and that his lineman recovered it.  Even if #52 didn't hang on to the ball, how the hell could they overturn that TD, give IL the ball but not rule it a touchback?

Either way, that game turned on that play.

And the Big 10 blows.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #409 on: October 31, 2009, 09:43:55 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on October 31, 2009, 05:36:13 PM

Chip Caray is still employed as a broadcaster, right?

I'd rather hear Chip Caray sing "Moon River" naked with an Audrey Hepburn barbie doll shoved up his ass than one quarter of ball called by Davie. I'm telling you, I'm done. Never, ever again.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #410 on: October 31, 2009, 10:11:56 PM »
Quote from: MAD on October 31, 2009, 07:24:30 PM

So why did the officials decide to give Illinois the ball at their own 1?  Looked like the Michigan running back fumbled in the endzone and that his lineman recovered it.  Even if #52 didn't hang on to the ball, how the hell could they overturn that TD, give IL the ball but not rule it a touchback?

And the Big 10 blows.

The Michigan's RB elbow was down at the 1/2 yard line before the ball broke the plane of the goal line.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #411 on: October 31, 2009, 10:48:16 PM »

And the Big 10 blows.

Why in the world would you watch an IL/Mich game this season?  You did that to yourself.

Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #412 on: October 31, 2009, 10:54:44 PM »

And the Big 10 blows.

I was out and for some reason checked the score on my phone. I am shocked by that final I tell you. Shocked. There goes our draft pick.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #413 on: November 01, 2009, 05:47:09 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 30, 2009, 09:09:17 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 30, 2009, 08:56:46 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 30, 2009, 08:38:55 AM
But my point is I can find a computer ranking saying Iowa isn't #1.
Can you find one where Texas is ahead of Iowa?

I dont' have to, and I don't care. You've gone from using the computers as justification for Iowa deserving a shot at the national title game to using them as justification for Iowa being better than Texas, and as I've said, I don't give a shit about computer rankings when everybody uses a different methodology to compose them and far too often the computer's favorite gets the crap kicked out of them by a one loss team from a different conference that's much stronger (2006 OSU-Florida, 2007 Ohio State LSU). You've decided to use computer rankings as your champion because all of the stupid humans don't have Iowa anywhere near the championship game.At some point those same computers will turn against Iowa when Texas or whoever else from the Big 12 of SEC has to play a few road games and then a conference championship game, and then you'll find someway to dispute the computers.

Why you think your team is somehow the exception to the half decade long string of Big Ten champions that have racked up 10+ wins in a piss poor conference and gotten their asses handed to them in the BCS, I don't know. You'll have to tell me where you see this vast improvement in the Big 10 that suddenly makes Iowa's schedule so daunting, or why that schedule has something to do with them being unable to score consistently against UNI or Arkansas State. The fact is that the only people on this damn fringe messageboard who can't see that the Big 10 sucks, or that Iowa's just the biggest dick at summer camp, are Iowa fans. I'm done. I'll see you back here when Iowa loses at Ohio State or USC skins them alive in the Rose Bowl.

Pitnicking, but LSU was 11-2 in that championship game against Ohio State.  So, yeah.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #414 on: November 01, 2009, 09:23:48 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on October 31, 2009, 10:11:56 PM

So why did the officials decide to give Illinois the ball at their own 1?  Looked like the Michigan running back fumbled in the endzone and that his lineman recovered it.  Even if #52 didn't hang on to the ball, how the hell could they overturn that TD, give IL the ball but not rule it a touchback?

And the Big 10 blows.

The Michigan's RB elbow was down at the 1/2 yard line before the ball broke the plane of the goal line.

Wait--so it was 4th down?  I told you that I had the sound down.

Quote from: JD on October 31, 2009, 10:48:16 PM

So why did the officials decide to give Illinois the ball at their own 1?  Looked like the Michigan running back fumbled in the endzone and that his lineman recovered it.  Even if #52 didn't hang on to the ball, how the hell could they overturn that TD, give IL the ball but not rule it a touchback?

And the Big 10 blows.

Why in the world would you watch an IL/Mich game this season?  You did that to yourself.

I said I had the VOLUME DOWN.  I really wasn't that into it.  Honest.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #415 on: November 01, 2009, 10:35:34 AM »
Now that Illinois managed to beat Michigan by 24 points, I'm going to subtract that 2 pt win over them In Iowa City from Iowa's "quality win" rack. Oh and Texas beat Oklahoma State 41-14. I suppose that pales in comparison to the tough, gritty, stirring comeback the Hawkeyes had at home against the Steel Curtain of the Indiana Hoosiers.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #416 on: November 01, 2009, 10:49:46 AM »
Question: Why do you advocate something like margin of victory which doesn't necessarily say a whole lot about a win? Why not something like PF/(PA+PF) which would give a much better indicator of the quality/closeness of the win? For instance, Iowa's 18 pt win over Indiana would equate to .6875. If they had beaten Indiana by the same MOV, but done it 21-3, the PF/PA+PF would be .875 indicating a much more dominant victory. I mean, if establishing the quality of the victory is what this is all about, why use something that is so dependent upon the scoring environment as MOV?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #417 on: November 01, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on November 01, 2009, 10:49:46 AM
Question: Why do you advocate something like margin of victory which doesn't necessarily say a whole lot about a win? Why not something like PF/(PA+PF) which would give a much better indicator of the quality/closeness of the win? For instance, Iowa's 18 pt win over Indiana would equate to .6875. If they had beaten Indiana by the same MOV, but done it 21-3, the PF/PA+PF would be .875 indicating a much more dominant victory. I mean, if establishing the quality of the victory is what this is all about, why use something that is so dependent upon the scoring environment as MOV?

Find me a place that compiles that, CD, and I will be happy to. Or figure out what that equates to for the entire top 10 for the season and I'll build you a new cathedral. Honestly I'd be more than willing to use that, even if it somehow makes Iowa look better than the rest of the country. Iowa's not the only team I've had this argument over. I'd like a stat that can be more precise.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #418 on: November 01, 2009, 11:13:47 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 01, 2009, 11:07:00 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on November 01, 2009, 10:49:46 AM

Find me a place that compiles that, CD, and I will be happy to. Or figure out what that equates to for the entire top 10 for the season and I'll build you a new cathedral. Honestly I'd be more than willing to use that, even if it somehow makes Iowa look better than the rest of the country. Iowa's not the only team I've had this argument over. I'd like a stat that can be more precise.

MOV is calculated by PF-PA. I assume it would be easy to do PF/(PF+PA), no?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #419 on: November 01, 2009, 11:54:49 AM »
Also, I don't want to dispute that Iowa's not as good as their rating (they aren't), but they weren't stumbling against the "steel curtain of the Hoosiers" so much as they were forced to throw (as they're down to their 4th string HB) against a pretty nasty wind. Check the splits:

QB WIND C A Y TD INT
CHAPPELL TOTAL 23 41 227 2 3
STANZI TOTAL 13 26 337 2 5

CHAPPELL WITH 1,3 7 16 116 0 1
CHAPPELL AGAINST 2,4 16 25 111 2 2
STANZI AGAINST 1,3 4 16 47 0 5
STANZI WITH 2,4 9 10 290 2 0

TOTAL AGAINST 20 41 158 2 7
TOTAL WITH 16 26 406 2 1