News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009 College Football Thread  ( 117,153 )

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2009 College Football Thread
« Reply #480 on: November 13, 2009, 02:19:14 PM »
Quote from: Andy on November 13, 2009, 10:08:00 AM
Jerry Kill is a really good football coach.  He looks like he should be living under a bridge, so DeKalb's a perfect place for him long-term, but I think they did good when they picked him when Joe Novak retired.

Very much THIS.  I've been beating this horse to death for years to people who haven't yet grown sick of me ranting about it.

You have to be nuanced when picking a coach for a team at this caliber.  Although he never turned out to be jack shite, former Joey Meyer flunky Rich Molinari clearly was using as NIU as a stepping stone in '91 when he left for Bradley after their fluke NCAA team.  Conversely, Joe Novak was perfect because he looked older and fatter than befits a top-tier program so he would never appear desirable, long-term for a Big 10 team.

In short, an NIU coach has to be good enough to build a pipeline and make bowls from their mid-major catbird seat or else just expose people to the worst football on earth, but not so striking so as to have, say, U of I take him when their coach shits the tub (of course, the Illini dodged a bullet by not hiring away Rob Judson...I wonder if BC was pining for that one?  )

Similar to Novak, his predecessor, Kill looks like a pederast whose daytime job is as a surgeon.  He can win all he wants and there's no way he's going anywhere.

So which team wins a bowl game first in our lives?  NIU or Northwestern?
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #481 on: November 13, 2009, 03:00:48 PM »
Quote from: MAD on November 13, 2009, 02:19:14 PM
Jerry Kill is a really good football coach.  He looks like he should be living under a bridge, so DeKalb's a perfect place for him long-term, but I think they did good when they picked him when Joe Novak retired.

Very much THIS.  I've been beating this horse to death for years to people who haven't yet grown sick of me ranting about it.

You have to be nuanced when picking a coach for a team at this caliber.  Although he never turned out to be jack shite, former Joey Meyer flunky Rich Molinari clearly was using as NIU as a stepping stone in '91 when he left for Bradley after their fluke NCAA team.  Conversely, Joe Novak was perfect because he looked older and fatter than befits a top-tier program so he would never appear desirable, long-term for a Big 10 team.

In short, an NIU coach has to be good enough to build a pipeline and make bowls from their mid-major catbird seat or else just expose people to the worst football on earth, but not so striking so as to have, say, U of I take him when their coach shits the tub (of course, the Illini dodged a bullet by not hiring away Rob Judson...I wonder if BC was pining for that one?  )

Similar to Novak, his predecessor, Kill looks like a pederast whose daytime job is as a surgeon.  He can win all he wants and there's no way he's going anywhere.

NU and NIU could possibly settle it, man-to-man, in Detoilet later this year....

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #482 on: November 13, 2009, 07:03:08 PM »
Quote from: Indolent Reader on November 13, 2009, 03:00:48 PM
Quote from: MAD on November 13, 2009, 02:19:14 PM

NU and NIU could possibly settle it, man-to-man, in Detoilet later this year....

Not if Chicago's own Dan Lefevour has anything to say about it.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #483 on: November 14, 2009, 06:30:12 PM »
I love to see Stanford play USC because one of them has to lose.  The bad news is that one of them has to win.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #484 on: November 16, 2009, 09:33:14 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 14, 2009, 06:30:12 PM
I love to see Stanford play USC because one of them has to lose.  The bad news is that one of them has to win.

Pray for an asteroid.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #485 on: November 16, 2009, 09:40:03 AM »
Quote from: Fork on November 16, 2009, 09:33:14 AM
Quote from: CBStew on November 14, 2009, 06:30:12 PM

Pray for an asteroid.

Fork'd

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #486 on: November 16, 2009, 09:57:31 AM »
Weis haters rejoice.  Rumor has it that Fat Charlie was told last week he's out after this season, which would explain why he was even more ornery and dickish about throwing his players under the bus after the Navy game.  Rumor has it his replacement will be (and I'm not sure how much I believe this) Tony Dungy.

The only thing I can think of is that Dungy has a connection with Swarbrick, the new AD, since I think Swarbrick's firm is the one that worked on the deal for the new stadium.  As long as their coach next year is NotWeis, I'll be happy.
Hire Jim Essian!

HST Redux

• When teh going gets weird....
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #487 on: November 16, 2009, 09:58:15 AM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on November 12, 2009, 09:52:14 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on November 12, 2009, 05:50:00 PM
Quote from: MAD on November 12, 2009, 05:40:58 PM
I appreciate SKO's beatdown as I'll gladly defer to him for football thoughts and things, but is the Big East really that bad...I mean worse than the Big 10? 

What about Miami and VA Tech.  Good, yes?

And Pat Fitzgerald's hilarious.  He quotes his old mentor Gary Barnett like he's not an opportunistic scumdouche, and he apparently truly believes that Northwestern has been a perennial power since he had been roaming the middle for that '95 team that began NU's current bowl einless streak by getting spanked in Pasadena by Keyshawn and Co.

Outside perspective from someone who doesn't really know anything about college football:

Pat Fitzgerald seems like a pretty good coach.

That's because he is.

Thi. Then consider the fact that he's all of 34 and still learning on the job.
"In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely." - Hunter S. Thompson

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #488 on: November 16, 2009, 10:03:14 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on November 16, 2009, 09:57:31 AM
Weis haters rejoice.  Rumor has it that Fat Charlie was told last week he's out after this season, which would explain why he was even more ornery and dickish about throwing his players under the bus after the Navy game.  Rumor has it his replacement will be (and I'm not sure how much I believe this) Tony Dungy.

The only thing I can think of is that Dungy has a connection with Swarbrick, the new AD, since I think Swarbrick's firm is the one that worked on the deal for the new stadium.  As long as their coach next year is NotWeis, I'll be happy.

Weebs is your source? Damn, Kermit..

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #489 on: November 16, 2009, 10:09:33 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 16, 2009, 10:03:14 AM

Weebs is your source? Damn, Kermit..

No.  Deep Goat.
Hire Jim Essian!

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #490 on: November 16, 2009, 10:16:23 AM »

Well, I guess if I am going to root for a Catholic football team, chances are I'm going to be stuck with a crazy christian coach.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #491 on: November 16, 2009, 11:24:19 AM »

Dungy?  Molder of men, destroyer of pregame shows?  Are there any Vick brothers left to recruit?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #492 on: November 16, 2009, 11:27:37 AM »
Quote from: Andy on November 16, 2009, 11:24:19 AM

Dungy?  Molder of men, destroyer of pregame shows?  Are there any Vick brothers left to recruit?

This sounds like one of those rumors that makes a lot of sense on paper (strong Christian values, loves to work with youth) but has no basis in reality.

It's got to be Brian Kelly or Chris Peterson, assuming either of those guys would be willing to leave a successful program for a shitty one.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #493 on: November 16, 2009, 11:35:30 AM »
I think Tony looked tired and over it in his last two seasons with the Colts. I have a hard time picturing him out of retirement for this lose-lose proposition. I don't know the man personally of course. I just think this sounds batshit as far as rumors go.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #494 on: November 16, 2009, 11:35:46 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 16, 2009, 11:27:37 AM
This sounds like one of those rumors that makes a lot of sense on paper (strong Christian values, loves to work with youth) but has no basis in reality.

Wanny.