News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Let's look forward to the Cardinals Methocalypse  ( 161,703 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Let's look forward to the Cardinals Methocalypse
« Reply #630 on: December 14, 2015, 09:20:51 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on December 14, 2015, 09:09:10 AM
Granted, this is all on paper and they have to go out and play and yada yada but this has been a blast so far.

This is all true. But to slightly alter some wisdom from that great American philosopher, Matt Trueblood, outcomes don't invalidate processes.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #631 on: December 14, 2015, 09:29:27 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 14, 2015, 09:10:36 AM
Quote from: Eli on December 14, 2015, 08:50:07 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on December 14, 2015, 07:55:59 AM
During the rebuild when we used to debate (with the meatballs and Eli) whether it was worth it to suffer through the lean years to get to where Theo was headed, I still had plenty of doubt about whether it would really work. I mean so many things had to go right.

They had to get so many things right and they had to get some luck, too. They've had both of those things happen. But really, it's much more the first one than the second one. They've just repeatedly made the right call over and over and I'm not sure any front office has ever had this kind of a run of decision-making. The missteps that you can now see with hindsight* are all basically inconsequential at this point and are only noticeable because everything else has been so good.

A lot of other teams are going to try the tanking thing and it's usually not going to work, because those teams don't have Theo Epstein.

* Even when nitpicking, these are still few and far between. Edwin, the Ian Stewart trade, probably Almora, and maybe not trading certain guys like Starlin or Garza at the peak of their value. I can't even really think of anything else off the top of my head. It's impressive.

Speaking of Edwin, that's a nice $16 million rolloff next winter when Theo goes shopping.

$11 million.  $2 million of his $13mm on the books this year was a signing bonus.  Cash left to pay is $11mm.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #632 on: December 14, 2015, 09:50:13 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 14, 2015, 09:29:27 AM
During the rebuild when we used to debate (with the meatballs and Eli) whether it was worth it to suffer through the lean years to get to where Theo was headed, I still had plenty of doubt about whether it would really work. I mean so many things had to go right.

They had to get so many things right and they had to get some luck, too. They've had both of those things happen. But really, it's much more the first one than the second one. They've just repeatedly made the right call over and over and I'm not sure any front office has ever had this kind of a run of decision-making. The missteps that you can now see with hindsight* are all basically inconsequential at this point and are only noticeable because everything else has been so good.

A lot of other teams are going to try the tanking thing and it's usually not going to work, because those teams don't have Theo Epstein.

* Even when nitpicking, these are still few and far between. Edwin, the Ian Stewart trade, probably Almora, and maybe not trading certain guys like Starlin or Garza at the peak of their value. I can't even really think of anything else off the top of my head. It's impressive.

Speaking of Edwin, that's a nice $16 million rolloff next winter when Theo goes shopping.

$11 million.  $2 million of his $13mm on the books this year was a signing bonus.  Cash left to pay is $11mm.

Whatever. It's still a nice little jingle in the pocket. Besides, there shouldn't be as many holes to plug next year.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #633 on: December 14, 2015, 10:03:18 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 14, 2015, 09:50:13 AM

$11 million.  $2 million of his $13mm on the books this year was a signing bonus.  Cash left to pay is $11mm.

Whatever. It's still a nice little jingle in the pocket. Besides, there shouldn't be as many holes to plug next year.

Yeah with any luck they should be set at 7/8 positions for the next 3 years at least. Could see Soler traded and a new CF brought in, I suppose, but I still don't think they'd be looking to fill any position except maybe catcher in FA. Given that Wieters is probably the only reasonably attractive free agent catcher in next year's class I think we have to hope that Contreras is for real, or Schwarber can improve, or they'll probably try filling that spot with a trade.

So any money they spend in future offseasons will probably be almost entirely devoted to pitching, extensions, and arbitration.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #634 on: December 14, 2015, 10:04:56 AM »

There supposedly aren't that many hole pluggers available next year.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #635 on: December 14, 2015, 10:24:23 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 14, 2015, 10:04:56 AM

It's basically Strasburg and that's it. I think that's a big part of why they've done so much this winter.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #636 on: December 14, 2015, 10:32:35 AM »
Quote from: Eli on December 14, 2015, 10:24:23 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 14, 2015, 10:04:56 AM

It's basically Strasburg and that's it. I think that's a big part of why they've done so much this winter.

That's if Dusty hasn't turned his arm and shoulder into sawdust by then.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #637 on: December 14, 2015, 03:38:36 PM »

(||)

(Desipio, I hardly even know you anymore)
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #638 on: December 14, 2015, 05:39:23 PM »
Dammit, I wanted the Cards to get Cueto. The BFIB meltdown would probably have been complete.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #639 on: December 14, 2015, 05:43:51 PM »
Oh my God http://m.stltoday.com/sports/columns/benjamin-hochman/hochman-heyward-deal-has-cardinals-feeling-jilted/article_5abf0d31-f70f-5927-aee8-019e92ad5add.html?mobile_touch=true

QuoteAnd some of the reaction, was, simply, release. It hurts. He spurned you, your team, your city. He's baseball's Benedict Arnold, so to speak. And really, it's not just about Heyward specifically, it's more of the idea that someone was offered a cloud in baseball heaven — and passed.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #640 on: December 14, 2015, 06:23:42 PM »
Quote from: SKO on December 14, 2015, 05:43:51 PM
Oh my God http://m.stltoday.com/sports/columns/benjamin-hochman/hochman-heyward-deal-has-cardinals-feeling-jilted/article_5abf0d31-f70f-5927-aee8-019e92ad5add.html?mobile_touch=true

QuoteAnd some of the reaction, was, simply, release. It hurts. He spurned you, your team, your city. He's baseball's Benedict Arnold, so to speak. And really, it's not just about Heyward specifically, it's more of the idea that someone was offered a cloud in baseball heaven — and passed.

You know, I'm starting to think that maybe St. Louis' relationship with its baseball team might not be healthy.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #641 on: December 14, 2015, 10:54:21 PM »
Quote from: CT III on December 14, 2015, 06:23:42 PM
Quote from: SKO on December 14, 2015, 05:43:51 PM

You know, I'm starting to think that maybe St. Louis' relationship with its baseball team might not be healthy.

Kind of like relations with a relative.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

D. Doluntap

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #642 on: December 16, 2015, 02:59:11 PM »
At least Missouri can look forward to the Brayan Pena experience.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/yadier-molina-randal-grichuk-surgery.html

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #643 on: December 22, 2015, 11:24:53 AM »
5/$75 (or $80) for Mike Leake ain't so bad for them.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #644 on: December 22, 2015, 11:26:15 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 22, 2015, 11:24:53 AM
5/$75 (or $80) for Mike Leake ain't so bad for them.
Yeah he's fine. They gave basically 5 years of the qualifying salary to a league average pitcher. I'm sure he'll be better than average for them because that's how it always works, but the way I see it they just kinda got back a little less than they lost when Lance Lynn got hurt.

I also love Cardinals fans citing his great career numbers vs. Cubs teams that spent three years losing on purpose.