News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Morning in America: Butthurt Achieved  ( 95,154 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Morning in America: Butthurt Achieved
« Reply #480 on: April 16, 2013, 03:54:51 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on April 16, 2013, 03:48:13 PM
Quote from: R-V on April 16, 2013, 03:35:49 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 16, 2013, 02:48:55 PM
Quote from: SKO on April 16, 2013, 02:05:48 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 16, 2013, 01:52:15 PM
Quote from: R-V on April 16, 2013, 12:34:13 PM
Oops!

Quote...all I can hope is that future historians note that one of the core empirical points providing the intellectual foundation for the global move to austerity in the early 2010s was based on someone accidentally not updating a row formula in Excel.

http://www.nextnewdeal.net/rortybomb/researchers-finally-replicated-reinhart-rogoff-and-there-are-serious-problems

Kind of odd that they didn't release their data in the first place, isn't it?

They didn't have the data in front of them, at the time.

Datases are quite expensive these days.

Hopefully this is the part where Tank digs up the log on this particular joke because although I'm pretty sure I was involved in the original discussion I'm having a hard time remembering the details on this one. Was it Chuck who couldn't find his database?

No BH.

Specifically:

Quote from: Intrepid Reader: Internet ChuckLook, I don't ahve all the data in front of me. I think Friedman is a bit better. I stated so in the past. Long before Theo became a posibility.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #481 on: April 16, 2013, 04:07:05 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 16, 2013, 03:54:51 PM
Quote from: morpheus on April 16, 2013, 03:48:13 PM
Quote from: R-V on April 16, 2013, 03:35:49 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 16, 2013, 02:48:55 PM
Quote from: SKO on April 16, 2013, 02:05:48 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 16, 2013, 01:52:15 PM
Quote from: R-V on April 16, 2013, 12:34:13 PM
Oops!

Quote...all I can hope is that future historians note that one of the core empirical points providing the intellectual foundation for the global move to austerity in the early 2010s was based on someone accidentally not updating a row formula in Excel.

http://www.nextnewdeal.net/rortybomb/researchers-finally-replicated-reinhart-rogoff-and-there-are-serious-problems

Kind of odd that they didn't release their data in the first place, isn't it?

They didn't have the data in front of them, at the time.

Datases are quite expensive these days.

Hopefully this is the part where Tank digs up the log on this particular joke because although I'm pretty sure I was involved in the original discussion I'm having a hard time remembering the details on this one. Was it Chuck who couldn't find his database?

No BH.

Specifically:

Quote from: Intrepid Reader: Internet ChuckLook, I don't ahve all the data in front of me. I think Friedman is a bit better. I stated so in the past. Long before Theo became a posibility.

Oh man I totally forgot about the Chuckument that Theo's GRAVITAS was needed to close the stadium deal. Clearly that played a huge role over the last few weeks. I haven't been in the shoutbox much of late, Chuck did you ever unveil your Friedman Better Than Epstein data tables?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #482 on: April 23, 2013, 08:06:48 PM »
Intrepid Reader: Rand Paul

Just kidding, y'all.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #483 on: April 24, 2013, 11:23:29 AM »
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #485 on: April 24, 2013, 03:32:59 PM »
Bruce Rauner: We need to limit our teacher's influence on society and keep it in the hands of those with big money! http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20130424/BLOGS02/130429892/bruce-rauner-clouted-kid-into-payton-high-school-sources-say

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #487 on: May 09, 2013, 02:13:44 AM »
QuoteIf I really were a "gay-basher", as some headline writers so crassly suggested, why would I have asked Andrew Sullivan, of all people, to be the godfather of one of my sons, or to give one of the readings at my wedding?

I don't think you stuck the landing, Ferguson.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #488 on: May 12, 2013, 11:05:55 PM »
Because no one will watch this if I post it in the Youtube thread.

But maybe at least one of you will see it here.

"Think about it."

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #489 on: May 13, 2013, 11:19:01 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 08, 2013, 08:48:43 PM
Quote from: Yeti on April 08, 2013, 08:14:38 PM
Quote from: Shooter on April 08, 2013, 06:57:35 PM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on April 08, 2013, 12:52:19 AM

If an employee getting $10 an hour is worth $20 an hour to me as an employer, I'd rather pay the $15 up front (and pocket the $5) for an extra hour of work than lose $30 the next month when they take the 1.5 hours off (sure, I made the full $20 off their overtime hour of labor, but I'm at a net loss of $10 when they cost me $30 the next month - and more if I now have to hire another worker to cover people's comp time).  The reason it works so well for government employees is because so many of them aren't close to optimally productive, so nobody notices if you're gone an extra day here or there.

I'm all for flexibility for employees, but I wouldn't be shocked if workplaces that can easily define a worker's value based on output metrics (manufacturing, for instance) don't offer this.  I wouldn't be surprised if few employers offer it altogether.
Unless my understanding is wrong, comp time is one-for-one, isn't it? The employee's choices are pay at 1-1/2 times their normal rate, or getting the hour "back."

The people that I know who can get comp time get it at 1.5x. I  only get comp time for hours worked. That's on the Illinois A.AFSCME contract.. so, I think it varies

I don't think there's any text submitted for the bill in question yet, but the descriptions I've seen suggest comp time at 150% the overtime hours.

Passes on mostly party-line vote.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #490 on: May 15, 2013, 12:26:44 AM »
I generally dislike the 1%/99% meme/trope/circlejerk, but this is just abhorrent: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/disney_world_srich_kid_outrage_zTBA0xrvZRkIVc1zItXGDP

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #491 on: May 15, 2013, 08:03:47 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 15, 2013, 12:26:44 AM
I generally dislike the 1%/99% meme/trope/circlejerk, but this is just abhorrent: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/disney_world_srich_kid_outrage_zTBA0xrvZRkIVc1zItXGDP

Hey, at least the super-wealthy are actually creating jobs for once.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #492 on: May 15, 2013, 08:20:27 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 15, 2013, 08:03:47 AM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 15, 2013, 12:26:44 AM

Hey, at least the super-wealthy are actually creating jobs for once.

$130 an hour? Huey, loan me your helmet, I'm going to Orlando.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #493 on: June 04, 2013, 03:22:15 PM »
New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is increasingly becoming someone that I'd have absolutely no problems voting for, especially when he does something like this...

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/04/christie-calls-for-october-special-election/?hpt=hp_t2

and when he says things like this...

QuoteThe costs associated with having a special election and primary, in my mind, cannot be measured against the value of having an elected member of the U.S. Senate. I don't know what the costs are, and frankly I don't care.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #494 on: June 04, 2013, 03:26:25 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 04, 2013, 03:22:15 PM
New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is increasingly becoming someone that I'd have absolutely no problems voting for, especially when he does something like this...

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/04/christie-calls-for-october-special-election/?hpt=hp_t2

and when he says things like this...

QuoteThe costs associated with having a special election and primary, in my mind, cannot be measured against the value of having an elected member of the U.S. Senate. I don't know what the costs are, and frankly I don't care.

So I'm guessing he won't be doing the keynote at the 2016 RNC.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16