News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Opening. Day. Female. Odges.  ( 82,110 )

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Opening. Day. Female. Odges.
« Reply #330 on: April 05, 2010, 06:13:42 PM »
After yet another blown call on McLouth dropping the ball it's time for instant replay.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #331 on: April 05, 2010, 07:04:36 PM »
Did the umpires give up 8 runs in less than 2 innings?
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #332 on: April 05, 2010, 08:18:59 PM »
Anyone got a video of the blown call? The only part of the game I saw was about 10 seconds when I walked into a restaurant. I saw Shark on the mound. It was still 8-5 though..

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #333 on: April 05, 2010, 08:21:57 PM »
Quote from: Eli on April 05, 2010, 09:19:15 AM
Quote from: MAD on April 05, 2010, 08:55:44 AM
I still don't care.   

I'm joining your apathy party.  It'll be ... something.

I saw the score and thought about bumping the "Gutless Fucking Assholes" thread, but then I played some video games and jerked off instead.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #334 on: April 05, 2010, 08:32:25 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on April 05, 2010, 08:18:59 PM
Anyone got a video of the blown call? The only part of the game I saw was about 10 seconds when I walked into a restaurant. I saw Shark on the mound. It was still 8-5 though..

I saw it on Sportsnight. Wasn't even a close call. The ball not only hit the ground, it rolled. My guess is the umpire was screened by McClouth's arm.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #335 on: April 05, 2010, 08:52:42 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 05, 2010, 07:04:36 PM

No. Doesn't excuse them for being worthless hoopleheads.

The only good thing to come of today was the flurry of activity here. This season has a lot of bile potential.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #336 on: April 05, 2010, 08:53:51 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 05, 2010, 08:52:42 PM

The only good thing to come of today was the flurry of activity here. This season has a lot of bile potential.

Unlimited bile potential with IPA.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #337 on: April 05, 2010, 09:02:28 PM »

I'm tapping into a vast rage aquifer that lies underneath my apartment.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #338 on: April 05, 2010, 09:06:03 PM »
I get the feeling that things will even out in terms of shitty calls over the next 161 games.

Stop whining about the umpires.  There's plenty of other things to whine about.  Like how much the team is paying Samardzija to suck balls.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #339 on: April 05, 2010, 09:44:06 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on April 05, 2010, 08:32:25 PM

I saw it on Sportsnight. Wasn't even a close call. The ball not only hit the ground, it rolled. My guess is the umpire was screened by McClouth's arm.

I just flipped to the MLB network and they had the highlights and showed it. Definitely the wrong call. As far as replay, I understand people sometimes want to maintain the "human element" to the game. Well, "human element" is code for "Let's get shit wrong because we're too stubborn to realize we don't *have* to get shit wrong". There's no reason they can't have an umpire in the booth with a camera and if someone gets a call like that McLouth call wrong, then he can call down and say "Hey, dumb fuck you missed it" and correct the error. They can advance people as they need to be. Obviously, there needs to be guidelines of what is and isn't reverseable. I'm not 100% sure what those should be, but if they use the technology they actually have, there is now reason that replays (or changing calls) should take more than a minute (same goes for the NFL.) At the most, it should only add like 5-10 minutes to the game, if they actually do it right.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #340 on: April 05, 2010, 10:16:15 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on April 05, 2010, 09:44:06 PM
Quote from: Armchair_QB on April 05, 2010, 08:32:25 PM

I just flipped to the MLB network and they had the highlights and showed it. Definitely the wrong call. As far as replay, I understand people sometimes want to maintain the "human element" to the game. Well, "human element" is code for "Let's get shit wrong because we're too stubborn to realize we don't *have* to get shit wrong". There's no reason they can't have an umpire in the booth with a camera and if someone gets a call like that McLouth call wrong, then he can call down and say "Hey, dumb fuck you missed it" and correct the error. They can advance people as they need to be. Obviously, there needs to be guidelines of what is and isn't reverseable. I'm not 100% sure what those should be, but if they use the technology they actually have, there is now reason that replays (or changing calls) should take more than a minute (same goes for the NFL.) At the most, it should only add like 5-10 minutes to the game, if they actually do it right.

A 3:09 argument against the implementation of instant replay.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #341 on: April 05, 2010, 10:28:23 PM »
Quote from: Bort on April 05, 2010, 09:02:28 PM

One game in and the Cubs have got Bort stealing material from Ghostbusters II.

YOU MONSTERS!

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #342 on: April 05, 2010, 10:59:07 PM »
Quote from: CT III on April 05, 2010, 10:28:23 PM
Quote from: Bort on April 05, 2010, 09:02:28 PM

One game in and the Cubs have got Bort stealing material from Ghostbusters II.

YOU MONSTERS!

Oh god. That wasn't even a conscious lift...

DAMN YOU, 2010 Cubs! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #343 on: April 06, 2010, 07:29:00 AM »

I posted this before I saw any video of the McClouth play.  My post was basically that it didn't really matter if he made the catch or not, the Cubs were getting butt fucked in the face.  But, I do agree now that I've seen it.  That was a terrible call.  Maybe the umpires weren't in position to see the ball come out...after all, it did roll out behind McClouth and probably shielded from the umps' views.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #344 on: April 06, 2010, 08:03:05 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 06, 2010, 07:29:00 AM

I posted this before I saw any video of the McClouth play.  My post was basically that it didn't really matter if he made the catch or not, the Cubs were getting butt fucked in the face.  But, I do agree now that I've seen it.  That was a terrible call.  Maybe the umpires weren't in position to see the ball come out...after all, it did roll out behind McClouth and probably shielded from the umps' views.

It's also only a moot point if Lou still would have decided to bring in Snork down 2 runs or fewer. Does anybody think he would have? I don't. I think he did it out of rage. Like when Purdue lost to Duke I told my friend that I wanted to pick up his son's plastic golf club and smash all of his robots into little plastic shards. I didn't, but I wanted to. And last night when Butler lost to Duke I wanted to pick up our coffee table and fire it across the apartment. I didn't, because I'm getting older now. But I wanted to. So maybe Lou just felt like doing something destructive and actually followed through. Maybe.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.