News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Who will be the next GM?  ( 19,754 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Who will be the next GM?
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2011, 07:58:51 AM »
Bump: http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21147021/dc-theo-has-5-year-deal-cubs

QuoteWEEI's John Dennis reported Wednesday morning that Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein has agreed with the Cubs on a five-year deal worth more than $15 million.

According to Dennis' sources, the Red Sox granted the Cubs permission to talk with Epstein late last week. The deal is expected to be finalized by the end of this week, following negotiations for compensation with the Red Sox, who have Epstein under contract for one more season.

The Cubs apparently have not settled on a title for Epstein, who served as Red Sox GM for nine seasons.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2011, 08:23:49 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 12, 2011, 07:58:51 AM
Bump: http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21147021/dc-theo-has-5-year-deal-cubs

QuoteWEEI's John Dennis reported Wednesday morning that Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein has agreed with the Cubs on a five-year deal worth more than $15 million.

According to Dennis' sources, the Red Sox granted the Cubs permission to talk with Epstein late last week. The deal is expected to be finalized by the end of this week, following negotiations for compensation with the Red Sox, who have Epstein under contract for one more season.

The Cubs apparently have not settled on a title for Epstein, who served as Red Sox GM for nine seasons.

No doubt they'll want Rudy Jaramillo. He's the best.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2011, 08:28:12 AM »
Quote from: BH on October 12, 2011, 08:23:49 AM

No doubt they'll want Rudy Jaramillo. He's the best.

Fine, but hands off Oneri Fleita.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2011, 08:40:15 AM »

My pleats are bulging just at the thought of Epstein getting in here and not tolerating bullshit. Outstanding news.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2011, 08:41:48 AM »
Jim Bowden says this is the same as when the Cubs hired Andy Mcphail. Fck off man.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2011, 08:44:03 AM »
Tom Ricketts is awesome. He came in and gave Hendry one last chance to redeem himself and when he didn't, he canned him (without anyone in the media having a clue about it). He said he would devote more spending to player development, then followed through by shelling out a ton of money on this year's draft. Then to replace Hendry, he went out and got one of the best GMs in baseball. Maybe the best GM in baseball.

In conclusion, shirtless man hugs for Tom Ricketts.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2011, 08:48:09 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 12, 2011, 08:44:03 AM
Tom Ricketts is awesome. He came in and gave Hendry one last chance to redeem himself and when he didn't, he canned him (without anyone in the media having a clue about it). He said he would devote more spending to player development, then followed through by shelling out a ton of money on this year's draft. Then to replace Hendry, he went out and got one of the best GMs in baseball. Maybe the best GM in baseball.

This.

I can admit when I jumped to a wrong conclusion and change course.

Because I'm not Chuck.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2011, 08:54:13 AM »
THIS to all of THAT.

Guess it's time to hose off the FIREBARN until further notice.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2011, 08:55:17 AM »

I've been off the Ricketts' bandwagon for a while, but I give him alot of credit here for actually getting a top flight GM instead of throwing out big names and hiring some lousy candidate. Tom deserves shirtless man hugs for this hire.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2011, 09:16:40 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on October 12, 2011, 08:55:17 AM

I've been off the Ricketts' bandwagon for a while, but I give him alot of credit here for actually getting a top flight GM instead of throwing out big names and hiring some lousy candidate. Tom deserves shirtless man hugs for this hire.

About that... Frank's got a special shampoo that he's using now. But, when you've got that much hair, a few stray nits are almost unavoidable.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2011, 09:24:59 AM »

I'm not sure I'd give Hendry one last chance, but the Cubs might have looked a lot closer to respectability in October 2009. So, sure, maybe I was wrong. Maybe.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2011, 09:40:01 AM »

Please tell me Crane Kenney is gone with this move.
9 months or so too late on the Hendry firing but otherwise I'm impressed.

I'm not sure how to handle this feeling.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2011, 09:48:54 AM »
Quote from: flannj on October 12, 2011, 09:40:01 AM

9 months or so too late on the Hendry firing but otherwise I'm impressed.

Well, to be fair, Yeti knew Hendry was fired long before even Hendry knew.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2011, 09:52:15 AM »

I haven't been this excited about a GM since the Cubs hired Dallas Green.

Here's hoping he scraps the organization and rebuilds with a philosophy toward getting hitters who get on base and pitchers who throw stikes and get guys out.

It might just be crazy enough to work.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2011, 09:55:27 AM »
Quote from: flannj on October 12, 2011, 09:40:01 AM

The story seems to be that Theo and Crane report directly to Ricketts with no cross-responsibilities.

The same way we all felt two years ago when the Ricketts took over.