News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,558 )

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #870 on: November 06, 2008, 11:38:10 AM »
Quote from: TDubbs on November 06, 2008, 11:24:25 AM
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on November 06, 2008, 11:23:03 AM
Quote from: CT II on November 06, 2008, 11:16:52 AM
Fuck this contact/Lasik/glasses debate.

Does anybody want to join me in starting up our own MMA League?

http://mmapayout.com/2008/11/notice-of-sale-of-proelites-assets/

I'd like to buy out Gina Carano's contract and have her perform for me in my bedroom. Whatever TDubbs said.

3rd Person Shoutbox'd

I positive Gina Carano.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/9275090@N03/sets/72157603432427206/
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #871 on: November 06, 2008, 02:17:04 PM »
Quote from: Kerm on November 06, 2008, 10:00:50 AM
Quote from: Zed on November 06, 2008, 07:32:25 AM
Quote from: Fork on November 06, 2008, 04:29:40 AM
Quote from: Zed on November 04, 2008, 03:13:48 PM
Quote from: Eli on November 04, 2008, 03:01:48 PM
I wear glasses a lot of the time, and I'm looking to get contacts so I don't have to deal with the frames anymore.  Anyone here have any recommendations about daily disposables, weekly disposables, etc.?  I'm a big girl and I'm scared to touch my eye, so I want this to be easy.

I got Lasik done at TLC in Westchester.  Changed my life.

Are you awake/cognizant while this is going on? The thought of seeing a laser shooting into my eye kinda freaks me out. But I miss waking up and seeing where I'm going until I put on my specs.

A BUNCH OF STUFF ABOUT LASIK.

Thanks for that.  Seriously.  I've always wondered how it works, and someday I'd like to get it done.  Contacts are a nuisance.  Now, if Indolent Reader can give us the rundown on the other procedure....

Sorry - just woke up from my post-election stupor.  I had to have PRK because my corneas are very thin.  The procedure (though the surgery is very different) is very similar to LASIK in that it is very quick, you are conscious and it is a pretty wild ride (my wife watched on a TV in the waiting room).  It's the recovery that is so very, very different.  The next day, at our follow-up, the individuals who had had LASIK were on top of the world (a couple were going to work).  I couldn't even open my eyes because they were tearing so badly.  I am by no means tough or even semi-tough, but this pain was insane.  I had the procedure on a Thursday (my doctor only performs PRK on Thursdays because you need the weekend to recover), and my wife finally called on Sunday wondering if something was wrong.  They told us that they often get calls on Sunday from PRK patients and that it was normal to feel like holy hell.  By Monday I was feeling much, much better.

Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out.  But I felt a little misled when I was told to expect "a little discomfort" after the procedure.  It was pretty awful.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #872 on: November 06, 2008, 02:19:41 PM »
Seriously, if you guys stop JOing so much, maybe the eyesight won't go so quickly.

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #873 on: November 06, 2008, 02:20:53 PM »
Contacts are painless.
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #874 on: November 06, 2008, 02:27:41 PM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on November 06, 2008, 02:20:53 PM
Contacts are painless.

Yep.  And they're contacts, which means you have to worry about taking them out, putting them in, having more on hand, and, of course, what if your prescription changes?  With LASIK or PRK, not so much.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #875 on: November 06, 2008, 02:33:33 PM »
Quote from: Zed on November 06, 2008, 02:27:41 PM
Contacts are painless.

Yep.  And they're contacts, which means you have to worry about taking them out, putting them in, having more on hand, and, of course, what if your prescription changes?  With LASIK or PRK, not so much.

I don't worry about any of that stuff. 
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #876 on: November 06, 2008, 05:02:35 PM »
Contacts are painless.

I haven't really looked into the pricing.. What is it? I spent around 150-200 for my glasses and I assume they last for a little while, like a couple years. Is it cheaper to go contacts?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #877 on: November 06, 2008, 06:08:57 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 06, 2008, 02:19:41 PM
Seriously, if you guys stop JOing so much, maybe the eyesight won't go so quickly.

Listen Mr. "I'll never get glaucoma if I live to be a million"...not all of us use herbal eye medicine.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #878 on: November 07, 2008, 12:01:04 AM »
Are there no myopes here who register pure terror at the notion of inescapable visual focus?
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #879 on: November 07, 2008, 06:13:05 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on November 07, 2008, 12:01:04 AM
Are there no myopes here who register pure terror at the notion of inescapable visual focus?

Come to think of it, Oleg certainly looks better in a blur.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #880 on: November 07, 2008, 09:36:02 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 06, 2008, 05:02:35 PM
Contacts are painless.

I haven't really looked into the pricing.. What is it? I spent around 150-200 for my glasses and I assume they last for a little while, like a couple years. Is it cheaper to go contacts?

It's about $100-$120 for an "official" 1 year supply.  I buy them in 6 month packs and go see the eye doc every 12 months or so. 

1800contacts.com has decent pricing and more info on the different types of contacts (nigt and day or daily wear, 2 week or 30 day disposables..).

Thrillho

• Out of bed and full of beans!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #881 on: November 12, 2008, 11:30:04 AM »
Nerd question: I have a CD provided to me that appears to have been burned on a Mac, with two files I need to open that each contain a " in their filenames. This is apparently too much for Windows to handle.

I can't change the filenames in place as they're currently on read-only media, and I can't copy them to my hard drive (either in Windows or at the command line) because "the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

What's a poor boy to do?
FADE IN:

EXT. COUNTRY HWY - DITCH - ESTABLISHING

BOZ
     I'm a...

We zoom in tight on BOZ'S intense fucking eyes

BOZ
           (incredulous)
     ...BANKER?!

SPFX: Something FUCKING explodes! HOLY SHIT!

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #882 on: November 12, 2008, 11:31:33 AM »
Quote from: Thrillho on November 12, 2008, 11:30:04 AM
Nerd question: I have a CD provided to me that appears to have been burned on a Mac, with two files I need to open that each contain a " in their filenames. This is apparently too much for Windows to handle.

I can't change the filenames in place as they're currently on read-only media, and I can't copy them to my hard drive (either in Windows or at the command line) because "the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

What's a poor boy to do?

Get a Mac.
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #883 on: November 13, 2008, 01:31:57 AM »
Nerd question: I have a CD provided to me that appears to have been burned on a Mac, with two files I need to open that each contain a " in their filenames.

Only one each?  Sounds an awful lot like Windows escaping a slash into a double quote.  In the trailing position, though, this would suggest copying directories rather than files.

Have you tried a wildcarded copy to clean Windows names?
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Thrillho

• Out of bed and full of beans!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #884 on: November 13, 2008, 02:35:05 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on November 13, 2008, 01:31:57 AM
Nerd question: I have a CD provided to me that appears to have been burned on a Mac, with two files I need to open that each contain a " in their filenames.

Only one each?  Sounds an awful lot like Windows escaping a slash into a double quote.  In the trailing position, though, this would suggest copying directories rather than files.

Have you tried a wildcarded copy to clean Windows names?

I didn't attempt to rename them at the same time, but I did in fact try a wildcard copy from the command line, whereupon I was told that the system could not find the files.

The problem was solved by getting a new copy of the disc with appropriately-named files, but the episode still had me shaking my mighty fist at Microsoft.

(The only comparable experience I've had with a Mac is receiving a file whose filename begins with a period, which causes OS X to treat it as a hidden file.)
FADE IN:

EXT. COUNTRY HWY - DITCH - ESTABLISHING

BOZ
     I'm a...

We zoom in tight on BOZ'S intense fucking eyes

BOZ
           (incredulous)
     ...BANKER?!

SPFX: Something FUCKING explodes! HOLY SHIT!