News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,099 )

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #1365 on: July 26, 2009, 10:24:24 AM »
Quote from: Poon on July 26, 2009, 10:13:49 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on July 26, 2009, 08:27:44 AM
Quote from: Eli on July 25, 2009, 06:53:03 PM
Anyone have experience using Ubuntu?  I'm looking at getting a netbook for travel purposes, and Dell is having a sale on their netbooks and it's cheaper to get that instead of XP.  I've heard good things about it, but I'm still unsure if it works as well as XP (though it's not as if that's a tough task).

I installed it on an old machine that I'm using to download/play media through my TV. I've liked what I've seen so far. Boot times are very snappy and I haven't had any issues due to the OS. If you're curious, get yourself a Live CD and try it out on your current machine.

I think you need to install off of a thumb drive with net books.  I saw this the other day and  it looks like it might be a good, light OS for a net book...well they say it is anyway. 

http://www.geteasypeasy.com/

You are correct, but Eli's considering purchasing a netbook that comes pre-installed with Ubuntu--not installing it himself. So, if he wants to try it out, he can use a LiveCD on his current computer to get a better feel for it before plunking down the cash.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1366 on: July 27, 2009, 02:39:04 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on July 26, 2009, 07:24:46 AM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on July 26, 2009, 01:43:47 AM
Quote from: Indolent Reader on July 17, 2009, 03:43:52 PM
Does anyone know of a good bar (or restaurant) in the loop that has a good collection of single malt?  Preference is for something west loop, by Ogilvie.  Thanks.

You gotta go a little further north, but Clark Street Ale House (just south of Chicago on Clark) has a solid scotch collection and a fair amount of good micros from across the country on tap.

I don't trust you know anything about Chicago north of 51st street.

Three words: The Long Room
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1367 on: July 27, 2009, 08:01:56 AM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on July 27, 2009, 02:39:04 AM
Quote from: Weebs on July 26, 2009, 07:24:46 AM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on July 26, 2009, 01:43:47 AM
Quote from: Indolent Reader on July 17, 2009, 03:43:52 PM
Does anyone know of a good bar (or restaurant) in the loop that has a good collection of single malt?  Preference is for something west loop, by Ogilvie.  Thanks.

You gotta go a little further north, but Clark Street Ale House (just south of Chicago on Clark) has a solid scotch collection and a fair amount of good micros from across the country on tap.

I don't trust you know anything about Chicago north of 51st street.

Three words: The Long Room

$1 beers are never a bad thing.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1368 on: July 27, 2009, 10:52:08 AM »
Don't know if this is a good deal, but for those who like teh golf in Napertucky, there ya go.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1369 on: July 29, 2009, 11:13:05 AM »
Ok, I was at another Simpsons trivia night at a bar here in LA.  Me, soon-to-be Mrs. G, and two other friends were on our team.  We managed to come in third overall, which privileged us to receive 5 free beers and 5 free shots.  We won the third-place game on the question: "How did Homer's physics professor introduce himself to the class in episode ...?"  I answered, "Out with the old, in with the nucleus."

However, some of the questions that we slipped up on were (and which I post to see if the esteemed Simpsons savants can answer):

How old is Hans Moleman?

What beverage did Jebediah Springfield invent?

What state was Homer born in?

In what years did Mr. Burns steal Christmas?

In what year did Mr. Burns discover "atom smashing?"

What board games are found in the Simpson home?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1370 on: July 29, 2009, 11:30:26 AM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on July 29, 2009, 11:13:05 AM
What beverage did Jebediah Springfield invent?

A flavorless mush called Root Marm.

QuoteWhat state was Homer born in?

Wasn't it one of the Carolinas?

Edit: Yes, North Carolina (I cheated and looked it up).

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1371 on: July 29, 2009, 11:40:26 AM »

How old is Hans Moleman?

Isn't it 34 years old?

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1372 on: July 29, 2009, 11:45:53 AM »
Quote from: Slak on July 29, 2009, 11:40:26 AM

How old is Hans Moleman?

Isn't it 34 years old?

31, according to the judges at the bar.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1373 on: July 29, 2009, 11:52:01 AM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on July 29, 2009, 11:45:53 AM

How old is Hans Moleman?

Isn't it 34 years old?

Ok, I was trying to answer the question without cheating. I would have gotten murdered at this trivia.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1374 on: July 29, 2009, 12:14:42 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on July 29, 2009, 11:45:53 AM

How old is Hans Moleman?

Isn't it 34 years old?

From Homer's AA meeting in Duffless: "My name is Hans. Drinking has ruined my life. I'm 31 years old."
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1375 on: July 29, 2009, 01:09:52 PM »
I have a vague question about which I can't really provide any details, and about which I'm technically a dolt.  However, you guys are good, so here goes.

We have a Canon HD video camera.  Shooting and stuff looks great, and playing it back on the camera or hooked up to the TV looks terrific.  However, when I upload video from the camera to the computer, the best way to describe it is that it adds these vertical-looking lines to the video, and it just looks terrible.  If I were home, I'd upload an example (and I will, later, if no one can answer the question), but does anyone know offhand what I might be doing wrong?  The settings I'm using to shoot?  Something I need to do to process the video on my computer?

I'm such a tech moron, that I can't even describe the issue well enough to Google it and find an answer, but maybe you guys know what I'm trying to describe.
Hire Jim Essian!

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1376 on: July 29, 2009, 01:17:16 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on July 29, 2009, 01:09:52 PM
I have a vague question about which I can't really provide any details, and about which I'm technically a dolt.  However, you guys are good, so here goes.

We have a Canon HD video camera.  Shooting and stuff looks great, and playing it back on the camera or hooked up to the TV looks terrific.  However, when I upload video from the camera to the computer, the best way to describe it is that it adds these vertical-looking lines to the video, and it just looks terrible.  If I were home, I'd upload an example (and I will, later, if no one can answer the question), but does anyone know offhand what I might be doing wrong?  The settings I'm using to shoot?  Something I need to do to process the video on my computer?

I'm such a tech moron, that I can't even describe the issue well enough to Google it and find an answer, but maybe you guys know what I'm trying to describe.

Have you ever changed the settings or just using the original ones?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1377 on: July 29, 2009, 01:24:47 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on July 29, 2009, 01:17:16 PM

I'm just using the original ones.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1378 on: July 29, 2009, 01:29:46 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on July 29, 2009, 01:24:47 PM

Depending on what software you're using to upload it, there may be a setting that lets you determine video quality of the transfer.  I'm sure it defaults to a lower setting so you're not getting really large files that take up a lot of space on your HDD.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1379 on: July 29, 2009, 01:31:44 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on July 29, 2009, 01:24:47 PM

Are you using an HDMI cable or Firewire?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16