News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,792 )

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #1395 on: August 04, 2009, 10:22:16 AM »
Quote from: TDubbs on August 04, 2009, 07:38:10 AM
Quote from: PiniellaTailOnTheDonkey on August 03, 2009, 11:04:46 PM
Anyone have experience with Rosetta Stone?  Does the program work?  Anything work better?  I'm looking to learn me some Spanish.

We live in America.  Who fucking cares?

Because he'd like to be able to talk to the guy who mows his lawn, the lady who cleans his house and the dude who just fixed his muffler.

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1396 on: August 04, 2009, 10:29:17 AM »
Quote from: Andy on August 04, 2009, 10:22:16 AM
Quote from: TDubbs on August 04, 2009, 07:38:10 AM
Anyone have experience with Rosetta Stone?  Does the program work?  Anything work better?  I'm looking to learn me some Spanish.

We live in America.  Who fucking cares?

Because he'd like to be able to talk to the guy who mows his lawn, the lady who cleans his house and the dude who just fixed his muffler.

And press 2 at the ATM?
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1397 on: August 04, 2009, 12:41:34 PM »

You bet!  She taught me to say "Dios mio" when I was iin middle school.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1398 on: August 04, 2009, 01:22:02 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on August 04, 2009, 12:41:34 PM

You bet!  She taught me to say "Dios mio" when I was iin middle school.

http://www.instantrimshot.com
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

HST Redux

• When teh going gets weird....
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #1399 on: August 04, 2009, 04:38:11 PM »

We have German 1. It's fairly slick (esp. if you use the microphone option) but still basically rote learning and geared to get a fairly low level of conversational German. My kids got bored with it very quickly - even when bribed with treats, etc. (And don't blame me for buying it, it's my better half's doing. She, of course, is always right. Even when she's wrong.)

I'm pretty sure I saw it at my public library. That would be a good way to give it a test run.

I took Spanish in high school and college but really learned it by practicing with people at work back when I worked in restaurants. If you're older, a good way might be to volunteer to teach ESL and strike up a friendship where you both learn each other's language.

"In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely." - Hunter S. Thompson

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1400 on: August 04, 2009, 05:18:01 PM »
Quote from: HST Redux on August 04, 2009, 04:38:11 PM

We have German 1. It's fairly slick (esp. if you use the microphone option) but still basically rote learning and geared to get a fairly low level of conversational German. My kids got bored with it very quickly - even when bribed with treats, etc. (And don't blame me for buying it, it's my better half's doing. She, of course, is always right. Even when she's wrong.)

I'm pretty sure I saw it at my public library. That would be a good way to give it a test run.

I took Spanish in high school and college but really learned it by practicing with people at work back when I worked in restaurants. If you're older, a good way might be to volunteer to teach ESL and strike up a friendship where you both learn each other's language.

You guys could meet up at the Cheesecake Factory and kill two birds with one stone.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1401 on: August 04, 2009, 06:09:20 PM »
Quote from: HST Redux on August 04, 2009, 04:38:11 PM

Dios mio!  I recommend striking up a friendship with Rosetta.  She is older now and probably has so much more to teach.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #1402 on: August 04, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
I had to take three Spanish classes while at the U of I, and I just flat out hated all three. Thank goodness that about 70 percent of the grade for the third class was based on homework or else I wouldn't have passed that class. [BC thanking God]I "earned" a 64 percent on the final exam and still managed a B in that class since the final was only 10 percent of the total grade.[/BC thanking God]
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1403 on: August 04, 2009, 06:33:06 PM »
Quote from: BC on August 04, 2009, 06:26:00 PM
I had to take three Spanish classes while at the U of I, and I just flat out hated all three. Thank goodness that about 70 percent of the grade for the third class was based on homework or else I wouldn't have passed that class. [BC thanking God]I "earned" a 64 percent on the final exam and still managed a B in that class since the final was only 10 percent of the total grade.[/BC thanking God]

I'm shocked that you struggled to communicate in a second language.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1404 on: August 04, 2009, 06:33:33 PM »

Maybe you should have tried Rosetta Stone...anyone know anything about that?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1405 on: August 04, 2009, 07:12:24 PM »

I'm cautious of engaging in hyperbole, but of your 2,100+ posts, this might be the least interesting one.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1406 on: August 04, 2009, 08:36:30 PM »

Would you have still thanked God if you had failed?

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1407 on: August 04, 2009, 09:26:43 PM »
I'm just going to bitch about my Spanish class. I took 3 years of it, and I am unable to recall about 90% of it. The thing that I think my teacher failed was the fact that in our class, we/she spoke english 75% of the time and Spanish 25% of the time. From what I hear about people who learn English, they speak English in 75% of the class and their native language 25% of the time. Is this correct? And did anyone else have that problem?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1408 on: August 04, 2009, 09:42:45 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on August 04, 2009, 09:26:43 PM
I'm just going to bitch about my Spanish class. I took 3 years of it, and I am unable to recall about 90% of it. The thing that I think my teacher failed was the fact that in our class, we/she spoke english 75% of the time and Spanish 25% of the time. From what I hear about people who learn English, they speak English in 75% of the class and their native language 25% of the time. Is this correct? And did anyone else have that problem?

From my experience, what you speak in class is not as relevant as what you speak outside of the class. It doesn't really matter if you're speaking Spanish for 15 minutes of an hour versus 45 minutes. If you're speaking English for the other 23 hours in the day, you're not going to retain very much. Spanish-speakers who learn English here are able to learn it because they're immersed in it.

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #1409 on: August 05, 2009, 12:10:52 AM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on August 04, 2009, 08:36:30 PM

Would you have still thanked God if you had failed?

Yes, just a little less aggressively.

Eli, you forget that I didn't talk about my ass graze on Desipio, but rather on HJE. Oh, wait, you were talking about my LEAST interesting shit.

Well, you're probably right then.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.