News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.  ( 549,639 )

TJ

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.
« Reply #1800 on: November 26, 2008, 08:08:10 AM »
I seem to remember the Mets took a flyer on some eccentric guy who lived in the Himalayas back in 1985.  He was a non-roster invitee to spring training, and they were apparently ready to offer him a contract and insert him into their starting rotation, which already included Dwight Gooden, Ron Darling, Sid Fernandez and Rick Aguilera.  Unfortunately, he decided baseball wasn't for him and returned to the Himalayas.

Maybe the Pirates think they found another one.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1801 on: November 26, 2008, 08:38:38 AM »
Just wait until they go to White Castle.

air2300

• Hank White Fan Club
    • air2300
« Reply #1802 on: November 26, 2008, 09:10:02 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on November 26, 2008, 02:47:46 AM
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on November 25, 2008, 02:38:42 PM
Quote from: Eli on November 25, 2008, 02:24:26 PM
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on November 25, 2008, 01:08:30 PM
Really?

QuotePITTSBURGH (AP)—The Pittsburgh Pirates hope Rinku Singh and Dinesh Patel really do have million-dollar arms.

The two 20-year-old pitchers, neither of whom had picked up a baseball until earlier this year, signed free-agent contracts Monday with the Pirates. They are believed to be the first athletes from India to sign professional baseball contracts outside their country.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-pirates-milliondollararm&prov=ap&type=lgns

They probably won't pan out, but I don't think it's a terrible idea.  The Pirates aren't ever going to be able to outspend anyone, so they need to be creative about finding talent guys who can fix my computer and perform outsourced customer service functions, and this is a start.

It's still somewhat hard to believe that they need to go all the way to India to find guys that couldn't possibly have any idea how to pitch.  If these guys throw anywhere under 97...this seems silly to me.

Where's Air2300 when we need an opinion?  From what I know of Indian cricketers (cricketers in general, actually), I'd be very surprised if they don't throw at 100mph, or very close to it.  These guys can often bowl at 90mph and that's with a straight arm and a heavier ball - although admittedly, they do get a run up.  It might take a while to stop them balking.  Or to wean them off chucking it at people's legs...
They will throw yorkers and appeal the ump as well.  The entertainment value of this is unbelievable.  But us Indians, we are good at math, science, running convenience stores, motels, and playing cricket.  Definitely cricket.  So, maybe this works out.  It's worth the shot and maybe it convinces some in the country of billion people to start playing baseball and opens up the market for MLB.   

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1803 on: November 26, 2008, 09:42:22 AM »
Quote from: air2300 on November 26, 2008, 09:10:02 AM
Quote from: Tonker on November 26, 2008, 02:47:46 AM
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on November 25, 2008, 02:38:42 PM
Quote from: Eli on November 25, 2008, 02:24:26 PM
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on November 25, 2008, 01:08:30 PM
Really?

QuotePITTSBURGH (AP)—The Pittsburgh Pirates hope Rinku Singh and Dinesh Patel really do have million-dollar arms.

The two 20-year-old pitchers, neither of whom had picked up a baseball until earlier this year, signed free-agent contracts Monday with the Pirates. They are believed to be the first athletes from India to sign professional baseball contracts outside their country.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-pirates-milliondollararm&prov=ap&type=lgns

They probably won't pan out, but I don't think it's a terrible idea.  The Pirates aren't ever going to be able to outspend anyone, so they need to be creative about finding talent guys who can fix my computer and perform outsourced customer service functions, and this is a start.

It's still somewhat hard to believe that they need to go all the way to India to find guys that couldn't possibly have any idea how to pitch.  If these guys throw anywhere under 97...this seems silly to me.

Where's Air2300 when we need an opinion?  From what I know of Indian cricketers (cricketers in general, actually), I'd be very surprised if they don't throw at 100mph, or very close to it.  These guys can often bowl at 90mph and that's with a straight arm and a heavier ball - although admittedly, they do get a run up.  It might take a while to stop them balking.  Or to wean them off chucking it at people's legs...
They will throw yorkers and appeal the ump as well.  The entertainment value of this is unbelievable.  But us Indians, we are good at math, science, running convenience stores, motels, and playing cricket.  Definitely cricket.  So, maybe this works out.  It's worth the shot and maybe it convinces some in the country of billion people to start playing baseball and opens up the market for MLB.   

Shit, you guys already have a team in Cleveland.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1804 on: November 26, 2008, 10:16:34 AM »
Quote from: TJ on November 26, 2008, 08:08:10 AM
I seem to remember the Mets took a flyer on some eccentric guy who lived in the Himalayas back in 1985.  He was a non-roster invitee to spring training, and they were apparently ready to offer him a contract and insert him into their starting rotation, which already included Dwight Gooden, Ron Darling, Sid Fernandez and Rick Aguilera.  Unfortunately, he decided baseball wasn't for him and returned to the Himalayas.

I remember that guy.  Old Monkey Toes, they used to call him.

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1805 on: November 26, 2008, 10:20:24 AM »
Quote from: Kerm on November 26, 2008, 10:16:34 AM

YOU MONSTER.  YOU KICKED OUT BOOGERMAN!!!!
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CT II

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1806 on: November 26, 2008, 11:20:39 AM »
Quote from: TDubbs on November 26, 2008, 10:20:24 AM
Quote from: Kerm on November 26, 2008, 10:16:34 AM

YOU MONSTER.  YOU KICKED OUT BOOGERMAN!!!!

He replaced my tennis racket with a rubber phalus!
I don't get this KurtEvans Photoshop at all

pisomojado8

• Chocolate Salty Balls
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #1807 on: January 22, 2009, 02:12:28 PM »
Troy Glaus waited until now to have shoulder surgery.  Is expected to be out three months. 

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=509858

Darn.
"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time."

LoneStarCubFan

« Reply #1808 on: January 22, 2009, 02:21:16 PM »
Quote from: pisomojado8 on January 22, 2009, 02:12:28 PM
Troy Glaus waited until now to have shoulder surgery.  Is expected to be out three months. 

Darn.

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1809 on: January 22, 2009, 02:24:34 PM »
I love this thread. I hope it lives a long and healthy life.

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1810 on: January 22, 2009, 03:44:54 PM »

Darn.

While it's not exactly the same thing, I read where Big Z is getting Lasik surgery on one eye and that may delay his Spring Training debut. What's up with these guys who wait till the last minute to get these operations that could've been done months ago. Seems like football players are always notorious for pulling that to miss training camp.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1811 on: January 22, 2009, 03:48:15 PM »
Quote from: Dave B on January 22, 2009, 03:44:54 PM

Darn.

While it's not exactly the same thing, I read where Big Z is getting Lasik surgery on one eye and that may delay his Spring Training debut. What's up with these guys who wait till the last minute to get these operations that could've been done months ago. Seems like football players are always notorious for pulling that to miss training camp.

Is he getting some special kind of LASIK that takes 2 months to recover from?
Just throw on some goggles and you're good to go.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1812 on: January 22, 2009, 04:00:43 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 22, 2009, 03:48:15 PM

Darn.

Z with goggles on while he's on the mound just gave me a mental picture that I wish I could reproduce for all you to see.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1813 on: January 22, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on January 22, 2009, 04:00:43 PM

Darn.

Z with goggles on while he's on the mound just gave me a mental picture that I wish I could reproduce for all you to see.

Are the images in your head also mediocre?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1814 on: January 22, 2009, 05:15:49 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 22, 2009, 04:06:00 PM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on January 22, 2009, 04:00:43 PM

Darn.

Are the images in your head also mediocre?

I always assumed you two were the same guy.