News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Score some fucking runs thread  ( 133,306 )

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Score some fucking runs thread
« Reply #675 on: July 22, 2015, 03:13:06 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 22, 2015, 03:06:05 PM
Quote from: Eli on July 22, 2015, 03:03:23 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 22, 2015, 02:15:27 PM
No switch needs to be flipped. We're seeing a huge improvement over last season, which was an improvement over the year before. Maybe the cake isn't fully baked yet, but the kitchen sure as hell smells better than it did.

Improvement over seasons where they were intentionally bad isn't really a sign of something.

The best part is the offense isn't really hugely improved over last season. The raw talent level, sure, but production wise there's barely a difference. They're being carried right now by a dominant top of the rotation that could absolutely make noise in the postseason but is anchored by two pitchers who will both be in their 30s next year and may never repeat this performance. Would make a lot of sense to try everything they can, including overpaying for a rental like Cespedes or something, in order to try and get that Arrieta/Lester/Career Year Hammel top of the order into the postseason. Or just hope they'll all be better next year. Either one.

Well, nothing is fucked here. But they really should not be losing games to the Reds...I mean any 4 game series that includes two games played in one day would be difficult to sweep against anyone, but I just find it disheartening the way the Cubs offense is performing. It's not like they lost 5-4 and they battled back and forth and there was good baseball being played...it's losing 9-1 to the Reds and no one is making good contact but the rookie catcher they just called up.

This, I guess, is what happens when all the highly revered prospects are called up at the same general time in the organization's development...the lulls of the individuals can coincide with each other. I just don't see very many adjustments being made at the plate and that is just kind of a bummer.

Still, this team is ahead of where I thought it would be. And I think them playing above .500 for most of the year then going through this funk kind of hurts my butt meats. That's all.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #676 on: July 22, 2015, 03:44:01 PM »
No switch needs to be flipped. We're seeing a huge improvement over last season, which was an improvement over the year before. Maybe the cake isn't fully baked yet, but the kitchen sure as hell smells better than it did.

Improvement over seasons where they were intentionally bad doesn't really mean a lot.

Except for the fact that they went from intentionally bad to intentionally good, and they're...good.

If you want them to go from being a barrel of suck to a World Series contender while the team is still not 100% assembled for such a run, be my guest. But you're going to be frustrated for no good reason.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #677 on: July 22, 2015, 04:01:22 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 22, 2015, 03:44:01 PM

Improvement over seasons where they were intentionally bad doesn't really mean a lot.

Except for the fact that they went from intentionally bad to intentionally good, and they're...good.

If you want them to go from being a barrel of suck to a World Series contender while the team is still not 100% assembled for such a run, be my guest. But you're going to be frustrated for no good reason.

They're in a perfect spot to make the playoffs. After that, it's a crapshoot -- which means they're a World Series contender. That means they're pretty much assembled by this point. Your own low expectations don't change that.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #678 on: July 22, 2015, 04:03:11 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 22, 2015, 04:01:22 PM

They're in a perfect spot to make the playoffs. After that, it's a crapshoot -- which means they're a World Series contender. That means they're pretty much assembled by this point. Your own low expectations don't change that.

The Germans felt the same way in '33.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #679 on: July 22, 2015, 04:11:12 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 22, 2015, 03:13:06 PM
Well, nothing is fucked here. But they really should not be losing games to the Reds.

Just pointing out that even after their ugly loss which seems to have gotten you unhinged that the Cubs have won 8 out of 12 contests against the Reds this year. That's pretty much about what we'd expect, no?  2 out of every 3 games against admittedly inferior opposition?  Today was ugly, but it's just one goddamn game....wallow in your own crapulent anger like SKO is encouraging you to do, but I suggest putting a limit to it and letting it go....there's another game coming up in moments.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #680 on: July 22, 2015, 04:15:32 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 22, 2015, 04:03:11 PM

Doubling down on that one, eh?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #681 on: July 22, 2015, 04:30:08 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 22, 2015, 04:15:32 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on July 22, 2015, 04:03:11 PM

Doubling down on that one, eh?

It's got to work somewhere.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #682 on: July 22, 2015, 08:31:10 PM »
Can we get a new third-base coach?  Tough to score runs when you send runners you shouldn't...and hold them when you should (the series in NY).  Fucking awful.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #683 on: July 22, 2015, 08:35:03 PM »
DPD.  Taylor fucking Teaparty!!!111!!!!!!!
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #684 on: July 22, 2015, 10:26:08 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on July 22, 2015, 08:31:10 PM
Can we get a new third-base coach?  Tough to score runs when you send runners you shouldn't...and hold them when you should (the series in NY).  Fucking awful.

I thought the same thing for a split second (hold him up and go for a sac fly!), then realized that they were facing the pitcher who generates more swings & miss/strikeouts than anyone else and their offense is basically one big syphilis colony right now. You should think about stuff before you type it in to the computer.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #685 on: July 22, 2015, 10:27:08 PM »
TAYLOR TEAGARDEN!
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #686 on: July 23, 2015, 08:35:56 AM »

My expectation is that the Cubs should be a good team. They are. Once guys like Bryant, Russell, Soler et al. get a few more miles under their tires and they get that one more stud starting pitcher they'll be a great one. Doesn't mean they're one yet.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #687 on: July 23, 2015, 09:04:23 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on July 22, 2015, 10:26:08 PM

I thought the same thing for a split second (hold him up and go for a sac fly!), then realized that they were facing the pitcher who generates more swings & miss/strikeouts than anyone else and their offense is basically one big syphilis colony right now. You should think about stuff before you type it in to the computer.

I'm with Dickens on this. People were going nuts about the send on Twitter. KILL GARY JONES.

But when you have a chance to score vs. Chapman you make that OF throw a guy out. I'm fine with it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #688 on: July 23, 2015, 09:08:23 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 23, 2015, 09:04:23 AM

I'm with Dickens on this. People were going nuts about the send on Twitter. KILL GARY JONES.

But when you have a chance to score vs. Chapman you make that OF throw a guy out. I'm fine with it.

My initial reaction was rage against Fowler just because he's erased nearly every bit of goodwill I ever had for him as the guy that started his splooge thread with all of the fucking TOOTBLANs. Then RV pointed out the third base coach made the call, and then the second they IBB'd Soler to get to Teagarden I realized Joe probably foresaw all of this. The odds of a bad throw/dropped ball by the catcher in that situation are much higher than the odds that Taylor Teagarden would get that hit. It was an acceptable call.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #689 on: July 23, 2015, 10:16:42 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 23, 2015, 09:04:23 AM
Can we get a new third-base coach?  Tough to score runs when you send runners you shouldn't...and hold them when you should (the series in NY).  Fucking awful.

JD said the same thing on the broadcast. Took a good throw and a shaky but effective play by a PANK at catcher to cut Fowler down. I love people with their 20/20 hindsight second guessing plays that didn't work on the internet. Then Maddon was a genius for pushing all the right buttons with guys hitting below their weight for the past two weeks and got a seeing-eye single and a gork to win it. You win some, you lose some. Don't be an idito.