News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 592,026 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #4875 on: November 29, 2018, 08:47:30 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on November 28, 2018, 11:30:49 PM
Quote from: Tonker on November 28, 2018, 10:22:49 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on November 27, 2018, 04:02:12 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on November 26, 2018, 01:34:41 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on November 26, 2018, 08:30:46 AM
Quote from: Wheezer on November 15, 2018, 01:18:55 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on November 12, 2018, 07:02:19 AM
Quote from: CBStew on November 05, 2018, 09:37:47 AM
I had that dream again last night.  You know.  The one where I am back in school and on my way to take a final exam in a course where I never attended a class and never opened the text book, but it didn't matter because I couldn't find the room where the test was being given.  This was a variation.  It was a Wednesday and I was booked to perform a guitar concert on the following Monday.  However, I don't know how to play the guitar and didn't own one.  To make it worse, I had picked out my wardrobe for the event.  Leather bell bottom jeans, a shiny, pointy lapeled, print, polyester shirt, a phony leather vest, and a leather cap that a pimp wore in the 1970s.  What a nightmare!

Relevant xkcd. As far as I can recall, I think I've only had one university dream since I graduated. Maybe I'm less likely to have school dreams, since I'm still in schools every day. I have had a few stress dreams about not being prepared to teach.

One of us (tinu) is an outlier. I have university dreams, work dreams, recurrent dreams where I already know the paths through the weird buildings, and wandering-around-lavatory dreams, which have a pretty obvious meaning but are nonetheless baroque. The less REM sleep the better, in my case. And then there's the issue of trying not to try to forget trying to forget this mental garbage-collection.

Screw the peribracial area and the horse it rode in on.

When I was a kid, my recurring stress dream was that I'd try to cross the street, trip, fall, and be paralyzed as oncoming traffic moved toward me.

Oh, yah, the paralysis dreams. I would also pass out twitching in these. Have I already told the story about what happened after I tried lucid dreaming per Omni magazine?

We'll stick with tonk's lucid dreams, thanks.

How the fuck do you remember this stuff?  Even I'd completely forgotten about that post.

I'd wager that you sometimes forget your name and nationality.

The mainframe at NORAD can't keep track of Tonk's nationalities.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4876 on: November 29, 2018, 11:38:32 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 29, 2018, 08:47:30 AM
I had that dream again last night.  You know.  The one where I am back in school and on my way to take a final exam in a course where I never attended a class and never opened the text book, but it didn't matter because I couldn't find the room where the test was being given.  This was a variation.  It was a Wednesday and I was booked to perform a guitar concert on the following Monday.  However, I don't know how to play the guitar and didn't own one.  To make it worse, I had picked out my wardrobe for the event.  Leather bell bottom jeans, a shiny, pointy lapeled, print, polyester shirt, a phony leather vest, and a leather cap that a pimp wore in the 1970s.  What a nightmare!

Relevant xkcd. As far as I can recall, I think I've only had one university dream since I graduated. Maybe I'm less likely to have school dreams, since I'm still in schools every day. I have had a few stress dreams about not being prepared to teach.

One of us (tinu) is an outlier. I have university dreams, work dreams, recurrent dreams where I already know the paths through the weird buildings, and wandering-around-lavatory dreams, which have a pretty obvious meaning but are nonetheless baroque. The less REM sleep the better, in my case. And then there's the issue of trying not to try to forget trying to forget this mental garbage-collection.

When I was a kid, my recurring stress dream was that I'd try to cross the street, trip, fall, and be paralyzed as oncoming traffic moved toward me.

Oh, yah, the paralysis dreams. I would also pass out twitching in these. Have I already told the story about what happened after I tried lucid dreaming per Omni magazine?

How the fuck do you remember this stuff?  Even I'd completely forgotten about that post.

Well, it's probably still running on COBOL.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4877 on: November 30, 2018, 08:34:11 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on November 29, 2018, 11:38:32 PM

How to avoid hackers: Use a language that nobody under 55 knows.

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4878 on: November 30, 2018, 11:33:57 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 30, 2018, 08:34:11 AM
Quote from: Wheezer on November 29, 2018, 11:38:32 PM

How to avoid hackers: Use a language that nobody under 55 knows.

That was some of the dumbest shit that I've ever seen, with Linux variants running a close second. Fuck, at least give me the old FORTRAN (yes, I am an arbiter of logoization) or a TI calculator. I think I've already mocked Apple's LISP machine. Just fucking write everythig In PosrScript and be done with it..
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4879 on: December 01, 2018, 01:17:41 PM »
... I'm rather amused that the NPR program stream is mysteriously playing the USNO Master Clock broadcast. Get your shit together, people, I wanted to listen to Weekend Edition Saturday.

Although I will also admit that I used to listen to the VHF transmissions from a buoy in Lake Michigan.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4880 on: December 05, 2018, 02:07:15 AM »
... I can't get enough of the colourblind glasses/cochlear implant videos.  They make me blub.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4881 on: December 05, 2018, 01:30:03 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on December 05, 2018, 02:07:15 AM
... I can't get enough of the colourblind glasses/cochlear implant videos.  They make me blub.
There are several words in that post that I don't understand.  Are they Australian words?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4882 on: December 06, 2018, 05:36:16 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on December 05, 2018, 01:30:03 PM
There are several words in that post that I don't understand.  Are they Australian words?

Too right mate!  Bonzer!  That's not a knife!
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4883 on: December 06, 2018, 06:28:00 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on December 06, 2018, 05:36:16 AM

Throw a dingo on the barbie?
M'lady.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4884 on: December 06, 2018, 07:08:59 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on December 06, 2018, 06:28:00 AM
Quote from: Tonker on December 06, 2018, 05:36:16 AM

Throw a dingo on the barbie?

"Aborigines aren't really people!"
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4885 on: December 06, 2018, 11:29:38 PM »
... I know what Tonk was talking about, except for the existence of videos. These are two auspicious developments that have resulted from medical research and engineering, after all.

Yah, let's constantly reduce the NIH budget.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4886 on: December 07, 2018, 11:57:21 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on December 06, 2018, 11:29:38 PM
... I know what Tonk was talking about, except for the existence of videos. These are two auspicious developments that have resulted from medical research and engineering, after all.

Yah, let's constantly reduce the NIH budget.

But what is a blub?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4887 on: December 07, 2018, 02:30:23 PM »
I ruined Christmas for a family at my school yesterday. I'm teaching 7th and 8th graders; assigned them to write an essay: should we tell children that Santa Claus is real?

Turns out one of my 7th graders still believed. So, as the day was ending, her mother approached me with her little brother, who is in 2nd grade, and said "did you tell my daughter that Santa isn't real?!" I was more than a little surprised that she'd ask me that with her younger son in tow, so I just said I didn't really think it was appropriate to talk about just now.

Still, having overhead that, their son now also is distraught, as well as my student, and I have two very vocal parents who are pissed at me.
M'lady.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4888 on: December 07, 2018, 02:37:27 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on December 07, 2018, 02:30:23 PM
I ruined Christmas for a family at my school yesterday. I'm teaching 7th and 8th graders; assigned them to write an essay: should we tell children that Santa Claus is real?

Turns out one of my 7th graders still believed. So, as the day was ending, her mother approached me with her little brother, who is in 2nd grade, and said "did you tell my daughter that Santa isn't real?!" I was more than a little surprised that she'd ask me that with her younger son in tow, so I just said I didn't really think it was appropriate to talk about just now.

Still, having overhead that, their son now also is distraught, as well as my student, and I have two very vocal parents who are pissed at me.

My daughter is in 7th grade and told me that she has a classmate who still believes in Santa Claus.  She said her parents are still doing the Elf on the Shelf.  Personally, I honestly feel that this borders on child abuse.

Fuck those parents, Kurt.  They are doing their daughter no favors.  That's genuinely fucking horrible.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4889 on: December 07, 2018, 03:21:54 PM »
Quote from: World's #1 Astros Fan on December 07, 2018, 02:37:27 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on December 07, 2018, 02:30:23 PM

My daughter is in 7th grade and told me that she has a classmate who still believes in Santa Claus.  She said her parents are still doing the Elf on the Shelf.  Personally, I honestly feel that this borders on child abuse.

Fuck those parents, Kurt.  They are doing their daughter no favors.  That's genuinely fucking horrible.

I'll never criticize the parents because they clearly love their kids and will do their own thing regardless of the pressures of middle school, and, besides, I generally try to operate under the impression that a parent could discover my online postings at any given time. That said, I was genuinely shocked.

Then again, I have coworkers with kids who played along with the notion long after their belief had faded, because they thought it'd get them more presents. Some kids are just working the system, as all good kids should do.
M'lady.