News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: I admit it...  ( 593,078 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: I admit it...
« Reply #1935 on: June 11, 2013, 08:45:42 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 11, 2013, 08:26:30 AM
Quote from: Tonker on June 11, 2013, 05:17:16 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on June 11, 2013, 04:32:45 AM
Quote from: Tonker on June 11, 2013, 02:26:48 AM
...I don't understand this:

Yesterday's Cubs' game, top of the first, none out, Choo on first.  Cozart, up second, hits an infield pop up.  The Cubs' infielders converge on the play, Valbuena gets a glove on it but lets it drop.  He picks up the ball and throws to second, where Choo is forced out, and the play ends with Cozart standing on first.  Whuh?  The ball went up directly in front of the plate, and dropped more or less on the mound.  Did the umpires not call an infield fly because of the fog?  Is this a first?

The infield fly rule requires fewer than two outs and a possible force at every base a possible force out at third base, so either (a) runners at first and second or (b) bases loaded would qualify. If Choo was the only base runner the infield fly rule would not be triggered.

Edited because a possible force at third is the key, even though it's probably a distinction without a difference.

Aha!  I understand now.  If there's no force at third, then the fielding side has nothing to gain by letting the ball drop - whatever they do, the end result essentially equates to a force out at second.  There may be some advantage to be had if one of the runners is particularly quick and the other is, say, Moises Alou, but it's minimal.

But if there's a force at third and less than two out, the absence of an infield fly rule would mean that the fielding side would (in theory, anyway) always be able play the uncertainty (catch it/let it drop) to their advantage and be more or less guaranteed a double play.

And that, my friends, simply isn't cricket.

The simple beauty of the infield fly rule is that it does not punish batters/baserunners who are prohibited from hustling. If there's just one runner on base for a popup, the runner on first can't move but if the batter doesn't run, then you have a deserved DP.  With first and second (or bases loaded), however, it's patently unfair for the runners to have to hold, risking a double play through no fault of their own.  People make fun of the IFR as some sort of arcane, obscure element of the game but when you think about it it makes perfect sense.

Are you guys sure this is right? I'd like to hear what Chuck has to say about it. Just because.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1936 on: June 11, 2013, 08:54:29 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on June 11, 2013, 08:45:42 AM
Quote from: Tonker on June 11, 2013, 05:17:16 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on June 11, 2013, 04:32:45 AM
Quote from: Tonker on June 11, 2013, 02:26:48 AM
...I don't understand this:

Yesterday's Cubs' game, top of the first, none out, Choo on first.  Cozart, up second, hits an infield pop up.  The Cubs' infielders converge on the play, Valbuena gets a glove on it but lets it drop.  He picks up the ball and throws to second, where Choo is forced out, and the play ends with Cozart standing on first.  Whuh?  The ball went up directly in front of the plate, and dropped more or less on the mound.  Did the umpires not call an infield fly because of the fog?  Is this a first?

The infield fly rule requires fewer than two outs and a possible force at every base a possible force out at third base, so either (a) runners at first and second or (b) bases loaded would qualify. If Choo was the only base runner the infield fly rule would not be triggered.

Edited because a possible force at third is the key, even though it's probably a distinction without a difference.

Aha!  I understand now.  If there's no force at third, then the fielding side has nothing to gain by letting the ball drop - whatever they do, the end result essentially equates to a force out at second.  There may be some advantage to be had if one of the runners is particularly quick and the other is, say, Moises Alou, but it's minimal.

But if there's a force at third and less than two out, the absence of an infield fly rule would mean that the fielding side would (in theory, anyway) always be able play the uncertainty (catch it/let it drop) to their advantage and be more or less guaranteed a double play.

And that, my friends, simply isn't cricket.

The simple beauty of the infield fly rule is that it does not punish batters/baserunners who are prohibited from hustling. If there's just one runner on base for a popup, the runner on first can't move but if the batter doesn't run, then you have a deserved DP.  With first and second (or bases loaded), however, it's patently unfair for the runners to have to hold, risking a double play through no fault of their own.  People make fun of the IFR as some sort of arcane, obscure element of the game but when you think about it it makes perfect sense.

Are you guys sure this is right? I'd like to hear what Chuck has to say about it. Just because.

One of the guys with me last night said that should be an error.  I told him no, because it's simply a fielder's choice.  The fielding side has nothing to gain by letting the ball drop - whatever they do, the end result essentially equates to a force out at second.  Tonks and I had some sort of psychic connection, I guess.

We also concluded that the trade was beneficial to the Cubs because it removed Choo from the bases.  Ended up not mattering.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1937 on: June 11, 2013, 02:07:12 PM »
I am beginning to think about it, and maybe the IFR should be abolished. You got 2 guys on base with less than 2 outs and you pop it up, you motherfucking bastard son of a bitch? You deserve it to be a double play, and if there was no one out, you deserve to stand on first base to be held up to ridicule instead of skulking back to the dugout.

But it goes both ways. Ball's hit up in the air. Do I catch it? Well, if I don't, I better get at least 1. Is the runner going? Are they gambling I'll drop the ball? Well, I'll catch it then, and maybe get a triple play. No, he's not running? Is he running? Both runners going? Shit! Better catch it. But who's covering 2nd?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1938 on: June 11, 2013, 02:18:32 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 11, 2013, 02:07:12 PM
I am beginning to think about it, and maybe the IFR should be abolished. You got 2 guys on base with less than 2 outs and you pop it up, you motherfucking bastard son of a bitch? You deserve it to be a double play, and if there was no one out, you deserve to stand on first base to be held up to ridicule instead of skulking back to the dugout.

But it goes both ways. Ball's hit up in the air. Do I catch it? Well, if I don't, I better get at least 1. Is the runner going? Are they gambling I'll drop the ball? Well, I'll catch it then, and maybe get a triple play. No, he's not running? Is he running? Both runners going? Shit! Better catch it. But who's covering 2nd?

That would be interesting at the pro level at least.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1939 on: June 11, 2013, 02:25:53 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on June 11, 2013, 02:18:32 PM
Quote from: Brownie on June 11, 2013, 02:07:12 PM

That would be interesting at the pro level at least.

And if it were done at the pro level, there would probably be a rule put in place to prevent it from happening, which is what happened in 1895.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1940 on: June 11, 2013, 08:35:20 PM »

I bet that in the Temple of Huey, the prohibition of hustling is the second most grievous sin imaginable, next only to the  julienning of potatoes.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1941 on: June 11, 2013, 09:39:50 PM »
Quote from: CT III on June 11, 2013, 08:35:20 PM

I bet that in the Temple of Huey, the prohibition of hustling is the second most grievous sin imaginable, next only to the  julienning of potatoes.

Hate to break it to you, but julienne-cut potatoes are fine.  Potatoes in any form are fine.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1942 on: June 11, 2013, 10:10:17 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 11, 2013, 09:39:50 PM

Hate to break it to you, but julienne-cut potatoes are fine.  Potatoes in any form are fine.

Neat fact: much like Eskimos and snow, the Irish are reputed to have over 50 different words for potatoes. But they're all spelled "potato".
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1943 on: June 12, 2013, 07:35:58 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 11, 2013, 10:10:17 PM

Neat fact: much like Eskimos and snow, the Irish are reputed to have over 50 different words for potatoes. But they're all spelled "potato".

Actually, if Huey is typing them, they're spelled "Poatto," "Ptaoto," and sometimes "oPtoat."
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1944 on: June 12, 2013, 09:05:05 AM »
Quote from: Bort on June 12, 2013, 07:35:58 AM

Actually, if Huey is typing them, they're spelled "Poatto," "Ptaoto," and sometimes "oPtoat."

I laughed.

I'm still laughing.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1945 on: June 12, 2013, 10:30:52 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 12, 2013, 09:05:05 AM

I laughed.

I'm still laughing.

It took me about 3 minutes to type that because I made myself laugh.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1946 on: June 12, 2013, 10:47:13 AM »
Quote from: Bort on June 12, 2013, 10:30:52 AM

I laughed.

I'm still laughing.

It took me about 3 minutes to type that because I made myself laugh. I sent out 47 tweets while posting. 

TDubbs'd
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1947 on: June 12, 2013, 11:09:37 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 12, 2013, 10:47:13 AM

I laughed.

I'm still laughing.

It took me about 3 minutes to type that because I made myself laugh. I sent out 47 tweets while posting. 

TDubbs'd

I laughed.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1948 on: June 12, 2013, 11:20:18 AM »

I laughed.

I'm still laughing.

It took me about 3 minutes to type that because I made myself laugh.

Heh... "oPtoat".
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1949 on: June 21, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
My disappointment in the Heat's win stems mainly from missing out on what would have been some epic butthurt, but thankfully I've still got the City of Cleveland to help fill that void.

http://deadspin.com/cleveland-meteorologist-delivers-entire-forecast-withou-534450157

Jebus Christ, get over it already.