News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Hendry can't possibly be the GM next season, right?  ( 25,903 )

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Hendry can't possibly be the GM next season, right?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 10:20:52 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 25, 2010, 10:11:26 AM
Quote from: Brownie on June 25, 2010, 10:08:23 AM
If Ricketts is operating under the premise that he will axe Hendry at the end of the season, why wait? I know it would have put a crimp in his African safari, but why let a bad employee ruin the product any more?

Because Ricketts doesn't know what he is doing.  Three years of due diligence and 20 years as a fan and he didn't make a move yet.

It took Rocky Wirtz 46 days to hire John McDonough after Wirtz took over the Hawks.

On top of that  Rocky wasn't even involved with Hawks until he took over. Basically he started from scratch, cleaned everything out and put his stamp on the franchise immediately. Who the fuck knows what Ricketts is doing or thinking.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 10:25:27 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on June 25, 2010, 10:20:52 AM
If Ricketts is operating under the premise that he will axe Hendry at the end of the season, why wait? I know it would have put a crimp in his African safari, but why let a bad employee ruin the product any more?

Because Ricketts doesn't know what he is doing.  Three years of due diligence and 20 years as a fan and he didn't make a move yet.

It took Rocky Wirtz 46 days to hire John McDonough after Wirtz took over the Hawks.

On top of that  Rocky wasn't even involved with Hawks until he took over. Basically he started from scratch, cleaned everything out and put his stamp on the franchise immediately. Who the fuck knows what Ricketts is doing or thinking.

To be fair, Rocky had been around the organization since he was a kid and knew the people involved and had seen them work together.  He probably had a bunch of "If I were in charge, I'd..." moments over the years.

Then again, one would think Ricketts has as well.  And three years to think about it during due diligence is plenty of time.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 10:26:51 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 25, 2010, 10:14:34 AM
Quote from: Slaky on June 25, 2010, 09:54:09 AM
I think the original question was a serious one. And a good one.

Man, this whole organization is fucked. I couldn't even be bothered to watch the 12th inning of yesterday's crapfest. They won? Yay. Who gives a shit.

I hope the White Sox sweep them this weekend. Enjoy your BP Cup, scum.

I don't know what he's afraid of. But if he was serious about making the Cubs a winner and not just a fan destination he'd clean the front office out and spend money on the best baseball people that can be bought. That's what any of us would do, right?

As it stands, I'd say they're  hoping to distract everyone from the baseball for awhile and hope the Cubs back into enough success to keep everyone happy.

Also, who the fuck goes to Africa in June? Goddamn it.

His wanting to take his time to make any decision is a bit troublesome. Our team sucks. Our payroll is huge. Our team is ancient.
It's not a small hidden issue here. The results speak for themselves. If morph managed his client's money like Hendry manages our Kubbeez, he'd have been out on his ass years ago. This team is run like a fantasy camp.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 10:27:50 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 25, 2010, 10:20:16 AM

Man, this whole organization is fucked. I couldn't even be bothered to watch the 12th inning of yesterday's crapfest. They won? Yay. Who gives a shit.

I don't know what he's afraid of. But if he was serious about making the Cubs a winner and not just a fan destination he'd clean the front office out and spend money on the best baseball people that can be bought. That's what any of us would do, right?

As it stands, I'd say they're  hoping to distract everyone from the baseball for awhile and hope the Cubs back into enough success to keep everyone happy.

He's actually got tickets to the World Cup, but whereas killing (probably) endangered animals is badass, watching soccer is ghey. He's already got a lesbian sister, so they don't want to be seen as Too gay to own an 'Merican sports franchise.

I'm waiting for the relevant part of your post.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 10:33:28 AM »

40 something year-old billionaires with young kids in school.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 10:34:51 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 25, 2010, 10:27:50 AM

He's actually got tickets to the World Cup, but whereas killing (probably) endangered animals is badass, watching soccer is ghey. He's already got a lesbian sister, so they don't want to be seen as Too gay to own an 'Merican sports franchise.

I'm waiting for the relevant part of your post.

Am I required to have one?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 10:36:16 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 25, 2010, 10:25:27 AM

To be fair, Rocky had been around the organization since he was a kid and knew the people involved and had seen them work together.  He probably had a bunch of "If I were in charge, I'd..." moments over the years.

Then again, one would think Ricketts has as well.  And three years to think about it during due diligence is plenty of time.

Unfortunately, I think Ricketts has probably been more of a meatball "I love everything Cubs" type of fan during the three years as opposed to someone doing any real thinking about this team. It's also probably why we'll see Sandberg as manager next year.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 10:43:02 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on June 25, 2010, 10:36:16 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 25, 2010, 10:25:27 AM

Unfortunately, I think Ricketts has probably been more of a meatball "I love everything Cubs" type of fan during the three years as opposed to someone doing any real thinking about this team. It's also probably why we'll see Sandberg as manager next year.

Not sure if that's true. Taking a month long safari in the middle of your first year as owner while the team hits rock bottom doesn't strike me in the right light though, if you know what I mean. I hadn't really made a judgment on Ricketts because I thought it was too early to make one. Now I'm making one.

Get fucked, Tom.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 10:54:49 AM »

As it stands, I'd say they're  hoping to distract everyone from the baseball for awhile and hope the Cubs back into enough success to keep everyone happy.

Most safaris don't actually involve killing anything in this, the gayest of eras.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 10:55:39 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 25, 2010, 10:43:02 AM
Not sure if that's true. Taking a month long safari in the middle of your first year as owner while the team hits rock bottom doesn't strike me in the right light though, if you know what I mean. I hadn't really made a judgment on Ricketts because I thought it was too early to make one. Now I'm making one.

Get fucked, Tom.
First of all, not all the Ricketts went.  I think I heard the sister is here.  They've presented themselves as all equal partners.  Someone is here with their hand on the rudder (eve in the rudder is broken).

Second, the guy has kids.  And a lot of money.  Taking 2 weeks off a month before the trade deadline is fine.  If hendry want to make a deal, you think Ricketts can't be reached?

Third, Al didn't like the "appearance" of the vacation.

I'm not saying you shouldn't make your opinion now, but doing so because he's taking pictures of tapirs and antelope isn't a good reason.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010, 10:58:20 AM »
Quote from: BH on June 25, 2010, 10:26:51 AM

His wanting to take his time to make any decision is a bit troublesome. Our team sucks. Our payroll is huge. Our team is ancient.
It's not a small hidden issue here. The results speak for themselves. If morph managed his client's money like Hendry manages our Kubbeez, he'd have been out on his ass years ago. This team is run like a fantasy camp.

Let's look at the last group of owners, the Tribune Company. They bought the Cubs during the strike (in mid-June 1981) and hired Dallas Green in early October 1981. Jerome Holtzman reported that Green accepted the offer on Oct. 9 (and had decided that Lee Elia would manage the Cubs), which was the same day as his Phillies third game in the Division Series against Montreal. Green was officially announced a couple days after the Phils lost in five games.

In the time in between the Tribune announcing they were buying the Cubs and the Green hire, here were the player moves:

QuoteAugust 15, 1981

Traded Lynn McGlothen to the Chicago White Sox. Received a player to be named later. The Chicago White Sox sent Bob Molinaro (March 29, 1982) to the Chicago Cubs to complete the trade.

August 19, 1981

Traded players to be named later to the New York Yankees. Received Pat Tabler. The Chicago Cubs sent Bill Caudill (April 1, 1982) and Jay Howell (August 2, 1982) to the New York Yankees to complete the trade.

But... the sale wasn't approved by the other owners until August 1981 (the same day they voted on a split-season). It appears they were out hunting for a new GM in late August, and by then they had settled on Dallas Green.

Even the Tribune Company "got it."

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 10:59:15 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 25, 2010, 10:54:49 AM

As it stands, I'd say they're  hoping to distract everyone from the baseball for awhile and hope the Cubs back into enough success to keep everyone happy.

Most safaris don't actually involve killing anything in this, the gayest of eras.

But how will I get my precious Ivory?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2010, 10:59:23 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 25, 2010, 10:55:39 AM

Get fucked, Tom.
First of all, not all the Ricketts went.  I think I heard the sister is here.  They've presented themselves as all equal partners.  Someone is here with their hand on the rudder (eve in the rudder is broken).

Second, the guy has kids.  And a lot of money.  Taking 2 weeks off a month before the trade deadline is fine.  If hendry want to make a deal, you think Ricketts can't be reached?

I'm not saying you shouldn't make your opinion now, but doing so because he's taking pictures of tapirs and antelope isn't a good reason.

Our ownership is more of a "college of coaches" type approach, Slaky. That always works. And HE HAS KIDS! GIVE THE GUY A BREAK!

I thought Slaky was making his opinion not on the vacation, but because Rickett's has done nothing?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2010, 11:00:07 AM »

Get fucked, Tom.

Al probably enjoys taking a shit once a day. I enjoy that too. I am not Al.

It's not the vacation that's rubbed me the wrong way. He can take a vacation. The team is fucking terrible. That's really the driving factor behind my angst and so I'm lashing out against everything and anything.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 11:01:04 AM »

Get fucked, Tom.

I've agreed with Internet Chuck twice today and it's not even noon.

This is not a very auspicious start to my weekend.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.