News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Starlin Castro Farewell Tour?  ( 16,305 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Starlin Castro Farewell Tour?
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2015, 07:43:36 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on September 18, 2015, 05:46:40 PM
I might be in the minority, but I really hope he remains a Cub. Not only because he's capable of being an incredible hitter, but, actaully, because of how he has handled his benching. Most players with his service time, coupled with his big contract would really pout over such a tremendous change. Starlin has only ever demonstrated joy -- you can tell he's thrilled to be in the playoff hunt, in any capacity. If it's not too late to improve his defense, then there must be a place for him, particularly if Baez ends up at third base and Bryant moves to the outfield.

All of this. By all accounts, he's been a complete pro about it. All he did was take it in stride and -- from the looks of it -- get better and earn his way back into the lineup. Who knows how long it'll last, but it's pretty admirable.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2015, 11:33:31 PM »
Quote from: Eli on September 18, 2015, 07:43:36 PM
I might be in the minority, but I really hope he remains a Cub. Not only because he's capable of being an incredible hitter, but, actaully, because of how he has handled his benching. Most players with his service time, coupled with his big contract would really pout over such a tremendous change. Starlin has only ever demonstrated joy -- you can tell he's thrilled to be in the playoff hunt, in any capacity. If it's not too late to improve his defense, then there must be a place for him, particularly if Baez ends up at third base and Bryant moves to the outfield.

All of this. By all accounts, he's been a complete pro about it. All he did was take it in stride and -- from the looks of it -- get better and earn his way back into the lineup. Who knows how long it'll last, but it's pretty admirable.

That's cute that you guys are like best buds now.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2015, 05:45:05 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on September 18, 2015, 11:33:31 PM

Grow up.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2015, 07:50:54 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 19, 2015, 05:45:05 AM

Grow up.

Apex will never forgive me for the many douchey, stupid things I've done, and I don't blame him.
M'lady.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2015, 08:00:42 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on September 19, 2015, 07:50:54 AM
Quote from: PANK! on September 19, 2015, 05:45:05 AM

Grow up.

Apex will never forgive me for the many douchey, stupid things I've done, and I don't blame him.

He's butthurt that Eli was not mean to you for once, as if we're in fucking high school.  Christ.

In an attempt to keep this thread from devolving into pointless bickering revolving around Internet fights from several years ago, I would just simply like to add some joyful positive about Castro's performance yesterday.
Castro hit two homers and drove in six runs (tying a career high he set in his MLB debut May 7, 2010) as his redemption came full circle when the Wrigley faithful demanded a curtain call, Castro's first.

"I've been here six years and that's never happened," he said. "I enjoyed it so much"

It's pretty incredible that he's gotten to experience his first curtain call after all that he's gone through this year. It's also pretty awesome.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2015, 10:44:54 AM »
I had a brief look back through this thread to check which of you flip-flopping motherfuckers was now choking down Starlin's dong having previously been thoroughly unkind about him.  I'm pleased to report back that, basically, we were all pulling for the guy and can all unashamedly enjoy his resurgence.

Except for Internet Chuck, of course, but even he was consistent about being a dick.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2015, 11:03:42 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 19, 2015, 10:44:54 AM
I had a brief look back through this thread to check which of you flip-flopping motherfuckers was now choking down Starlin's dong having previously been thoroughly unkind about him.  I'm pleased to report back that, basically, we were all pulling for the guy and can all unashamedly enjoy his resurgence.

Except for Internet Chuck, of course, but even he was consistent about being a dick.

I love watching how the whole team seems to go out of their way to support each other. The way the dugout has reacted to Castro throughout all of this really shows how solid they are as teammates. I'm really happy for the kid.

Despite all the stupid bitching we do here is there really anyone on this team that is all that unlikable?
Maybe I'm just too caught up in all this but God what a fuckload of fun this ride is.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2015, 11:09:27 AM »
Quote from: flannj on September 19, 2015, 11:03:42 AM

I love watching how the whole team seems to go out of their way to support each other. The way the dugout has reacted to Castro throughout all of this really shows how solid they are as teammates. I'm really happy for the kid.

Despite all the stupid bitching we do here is there really anyone on this team that is all that unlikable?
Maybe I'm just too caught up in all this but God what a fuckload of fun this ride is.

Just the starting pitchers whose last names begin with the letter "H." They are incredibly stressful to watch, especially in significant games against division rivals.
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2015, 11:15:30 AM »

Even David Ross is universally beloved as the team Dad. Hell, even Herrera is amusing with his bucket and unsolicited curtain call
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2015, 11:32:51 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on September 19, 2015, 11:09:27 AM
I had a brief look back through this thread to check which of you flip-flopping motherfuckers was now choking down Starlin's dong having previously been thoroughly unkind about him.  I'm pleased to report back that, basically, we were all pulling for the guy and can all unashamedly enjoy his resurgence.

Just the starting pitchers whose last names begin with the letter "H." They are incredibly stressful to watch, especially in significant games against division rivals.

If there's anybody I'm not enamored with these days it's Hammel, not just for his poor performance which has essentially de-stabilized the rotation, but because said poor performance came on the heels of him being a bit of a red-ass for being pulled early in a couple of games.  All he's done since then is prove his manager correct.  If he wants to justify being an ass about his manager pulling him, then he should go out there and not suck like he has for the past 2 months.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2015, 11:43:26 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 19, 2015, 11:32:51 AM
I had a brief look back through this thread to check which of you flip-flopping motherfuckers was now choking down Starlin's dong having previously been thoroughly unkind about him.  I'm pleased to report back that, basically, we were all pulling for the guy and can all unashamedly enjoy his resurgence.

If there's anybody I'm not enamored with these days it's Hammel, not just for his poor performance which has essentially de-stabilized the rotation, but because said poor performance came on the heels of him being a bit of a red-ass for being pulled early in a couple of games.  All he's done since then is prove his manager correct.  If he wants to justify being an ass about his manager pulling him, then he should go out there and not suck like he has for the past 2 months.

At the time, I thought that Madden was yanking him early with the intent of firing him up and getting better production from him in later starts. Looks like that isn't happening. Still, his next start is against the Brewers, who are redefining mediocre. If he can't go 6+ against them, then he needs to pack it in. I'd almost rather see a starter-by-committee every five days until the end of the season.
M'lady.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: September 19, 2015, 11:47:59 AM »

So in HueyWorld, you should be okay with being pulled from your start; or at least, if not, you should at least be able to gaze into the future and be sure that your next half-dozen outings are going to be good ones?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: September 19, 2015, 11:53:12 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 19, 2015, 11:47:59 AM

So in HueyWorld, you should be okay with being pulled from your start; or at least, if not, you should at least be able to gaze into the future and be sure that your next half-dozen outings are going to be good ones?

No in HueyWorld if you're going to be a red-ass about being pulled (which is fine...I would rather a guy be pissed than be all Matt Clement about it), then you ought to be prepared to back the shit out of being so demonstrative.  It's a disheartening fucking situation right now.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: September 19, 2015, 12:06:50 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 19, 2015, 11:53:12 AM

No in HueyWorld if you're going to be a red-ass about being pulled (which is fine...I would rather a guy be pissed than all Matt Clement about it), then you ought to be prepared to back the shit out of being so demonstrative.  It's a disheartening fucking situation right now.

Mate, I'm not saying that Hammel's performances haven't been disheartening, and I'm not feeling particularly enamoured with him, either.  But let's not forget that for the first month or two of the season, Hammel was the de facto ace of the Cubs' rotation*.

*I can't be arsed to look this up.  He was fucking good, in any event.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: September 19, 2015, 12:15:43 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 19, 2015, 12:06:50 PM
Quote from: PANK! on September 19, 2015, 11:53:12 AM

No in HueyWorld if you're going to be a red-ass about being pulled (which is fine...I would rather a guy be pissed than all Matt Clement about it), then you ought to be prepared to back the shit out of being so demonstrative.  It's a disheartening fucking situation right now.

Mate, I'm not saying that Hammel's performances haven't been disheartening, and I'm not feeling particularly enamoured with him, either.  But let's not forget that for the first month or two of the season, Hammel was the de facto ace of the Cubs' rotation*.

*I can't be arsed to look this up.  He was fucking good, in any event.

If it means avoiding a rhetorical taffy-pull that I don't have the stomach for, then fine--I retract my vague anti-Hammelism.