News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Score some fucking runs thread  ( 133,986 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Score some fucking runs thread
« Reply #660 on: July 22, 2015, 01:16:46 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 22, 2015, 01:08:53 PM
This offense is fucking shit for brains right now and I'm past the yay we have handsome prospects that are good at baseball and we're lucky to have the #1 farm system in baseball phase to why don't you assholes start Schwarbersmashing balls like the Incredible Swchwarb? Score some goddamn fucking runs.

Or remember that 1/3 of the starting lineup are guys who made their major league debuts this season, and there's bound to be a few hiccups along the way.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #661 on: July 22, 2015, 01:25:07 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 22, 2015, 01:16:46 PM
This offense is fucking shit for brains right now and I'm past the yay we have handsome prospects that are good at baseball and we're lucky to have the #1 farm system in baseball phase to why don't you assholes start Schwarbersmashing balls like the Incredible Swchwarb? Score some goddamn fucking runs.

Or remember that 1/3 of the starting lineup are guys who made their major league debuts this season, and there's bound to be a few hiccups along the way.

I know all these things but that doesn't mean I'm pleased with it right this second.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #662 on: July 22, 2015, 01:34:19 PM »
I think it is okay to want to the Cubs to make the playoffs for the first time in seven freaking years and to see that they have a golden opportunity to do so and that this offense being unable to hit for most of the season may very well keep them from taking advantage. It's okay to be upset about that.

Maybe the run never materializes next year? Having young promising hitters doesn't mean the Cubs control Jake Arrieta for more than the next two years or that Jon Lester will be good for more than the next couple of years, or that no one will get hurt, or no one will regress in horrendous fashion like Starlin. Maybe this is the best shot they're going to have, so if this offense makes you want to yell loudly into your hat, do so.

I know I certainly hope the 2016-2017 Cubs are a juggernaut. I have reasons to believe they will be. I have no proof, though. Right now I know they hold down a playoff spot but that probably isn't going to last if they can't start hitting, and it's been long enough without them hitting that you can't just handwave it away and say Bah, it's gonna happen.

It's frustrating. Let it be frustrating. We're only human
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #663 on: July 22, 2015, 01:43:49 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 22, 2015, 01:25:07 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 22, 2015, 01:16:46 PM

I know all these things but that doesn't mean I'm pleased with it right this second.

Help might be on the way, not that the last 15 tells how they'd do in the next 15 but all I'm saying is this is what these guys were doing during the stretch the Cubs have been ice cold and having more good hitters would help balance out individual slumps.  (takes breath)

Last 15 Games:
Charlie Blackmon — .377/.441/.574
Jay Bruce — .333/.381/.649
Marlon Byrd — .274/.274/.516
Yoenis Cespedes — .288/.299/.545
Khris Davis — .333/.405/.848 (!?)

Jeff Francoeur — .273/.314/.576
Carlos Gomez — .264/.409/.491
Cameron Maybin — .255/.288/.418
Gerardo Parra — .426/.484/.815 (!)
Josh Reddick — .250/.275/.333

Ben Revere — .333/.382/.373
Justin Upton — .148/.217/.259
Melvin Upton — .250/.333/.400
Will Venable — .167/.268/.306
Ben Zobrist — .264/.344/.340

Special SKO Edition:
Welington Castillo — .260/.351/.380
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #664 on: July 22, 2015, 01:44:29 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 22, 2015, 01:34:19 PM
I think it is okay to want to the Cubs to make the playoffs for the first time in seven freaking years and to see that they have a golden opportunity to do so and that this offense being unable to hit for most of the season may very well keep them from taking advantage. It's okay to be upset about that.

Maybe the run never materializes next year? Having young promising hitters doesn't mean the Cubs control Jake Arrieta for more than the next two years or that Jon Lester will be good for more than the next couple of years, or that no one will get hurt, or no one will regress in horrendous fashion like Starlin. Maybe this is the best shot they're going to have, so if this offense makes you want to yell loudly into your hat, do so.

I know I certainly hope the 2016-2017 Cubs are a juggernaut. I have reasons to believe they will be. I have no proof, though. Right now I know they hold down a playoff spot but that probably isn't going to last if they can't start hitting, and it's been long enough without them hitting that you can't just handwave it away and say Bah, it's gonna happen.

I think you're going to be frustrated regardless of what people say to convince you otherwise, and the hand wavers are going to continue to handwave regardless of your bellyaching. We're kind of going in circles here.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #665 on: July 22, 2015, 01:46:38 PM »
This particular game sucks butthole right now.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #666 on: July 22, 2015, 01:47:59 PM »

Pretty much this. It's weird how everything thinks a collective switch is going to be flipped in 2016. Their improvement is going to come in different stages, at different paces or maybe not at all. I think it's unlikely that Russell goes from hitting well below average to suddenly becoming an .800-OPS middle infield monster. Certainly possible, but not an automatic.

2015 is a real year with a real shot at the playoffs and -- therefore -- a real shot at the World Series. I'm not sure why people seem eager to piss it away because of an assumption everyone will make a linear improvement all at once.

(And RV is right; this is circular bullshit. Certain people would still be preaching patience even if it's 2018 and nothing has happened.)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #667 on: July 22, 2015, 01:49:37 PM »

The whole want to?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #668 on: July 22, 2015, 01:51:04 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 22, 2015, 01:46:38 PM
This particular game sucks butthole right now.

Damn it I hate the Reds.  Let's get to the bumslaying I was promised during this stretch against bad teams already.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #669 on: July 22, 2015, 01:53:45 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 22, 2015, 01:47:59 PM

Pretty much this. It's weird how everything thinks a collective switch is going to be flipped in 2016. Their improvement is going to come in different stages, at different paces or maybe not at all. I think it's unlikely that Russell goes from hitting well below average to suddenly becoming an .800-OPS middle infield monster. Certainly possible, but not an automatic.

2015 is a real year with a real shot at the playoffs and -- therefore -- a real shot at the World Series. I'm not sure why people seem eager to piss it away because of an assumption everyone will make a linear improvement all at once.

(And RV is right; this is circular bullshit. Certain people would still be preaching patience even if it's 2018 and nothing has happened.)

The improvement doesn't need to be linear and simultaneous. You just need Rizzo to be Rizzo, 1 or 2 guys (Bryant & Schwarber?) to become .850ish OPS guys, and 1 or 2 guys (Addison & Soler?) to put up let's say slightly above average production at their positions. Add a couple of league average veterans and you've got a middling to above average offense. Far from guaranteed, but I'd put the over/under at greater than 50% of that happening next year.

But I'm a wishy-washy buttpuddle who jumps back and forth between both sides of this argument.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #670 on: July 22, 2015, 02:01:49 PM »
Meanwhile back at the ranch (you might want to look away)...

Kris Bryant — .182/.308/.400
Starlin Castro — .109/.138/.127 (holy shit, that's Alexei Ramirez bad)
Chris Coghlan — .209/.306/.326
Chris Denorfia — .250/.308/.306
Dexter Fowler — .250/.373/.286

Jonathan Herrera — .303/.324/.455
Tommy La Stella — Dead
Miguel Montero — .180/.255/.260
Anthony Rizzo — .229/.391/.292
David Ross — .154/.250/.205

Addison Russell — .190/.306/.214
Kyle Fucking Schwarber, Fuck You — .390/.419/.707
Jorge Soler — .228/.267/.351
Taylor Teagarden - Who/Cares/He Sucks

There's a whole lot of due-for-correction in there.  Trying to find the positive where I can.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #671 on: July 22, 2015, 02:15:27 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 22, 2015, 01:47:59 PM

No switch needs to be flipped. We're seeing a huge improvement over last season, which was an improvement over the year before. Maybe the cake isn't fully baked yet, but the kitchen sure as hell smells better than it did.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #672 on: July 22, 2015, 03:03:23 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 22, 2015, 02:15:27 PM
No switch needs to be flipped. We're seeing a huge improvement over last season, which was an improvement over the year before. Maybe the cake isn't fully baked yet, but the kitchen sure as hell smells better than it did.

Improvement over seasons where they were intentionally bad doesn't really mean a lot.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #673 on: July 22, 2015, 03:06:05 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 22, 2015, 03:03:23 PM

Improvement over seasons where they were intentionally bad isn't really a sign of something.

The best part is the offense isn't really hugely improved over last season. The raw talent level, sure, but production wise there's barely a difference. They're being carried right now by a dominant top of the rotation that could absolutely make noise in the postseason but is anchored by two pitchers who will both be in their 30s next year and may never repeat this performance. Would make a lot of sense to try everything they can, including overpaying for a rental like Cespedes or something, in order to try and get that Arrieta/Lester/Career Year Hammel top of the order into the postseason. Or just hope they'll all be better next year. Either one.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #674 on: July 22, 2015, 03:10:12 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 22, 2015, 03:06:05 PM
Quote from: Eli on July 22, 2015, 03:03:23 PM

Improvement over seasons where they were intentionally bad isn't really a sign of something.

The best part is the offense isn't really hugely improved over last season. The raw talent level, sure, but production wise there's barely a difference. They're being carried right now by a dominant top of the rotation that could absolutely make noise in the postseason but is anchored by two pitchers who will both be in their 30s next year and may never repeat this performance. Would make a lot of sense to try everything they can, including overpaying for a rental like Cespedes or something, in order to try and get that Arrieta/Lester/Career Year Hammel top of the order into the postseason. Or just hope they'll all be better next year. Either one.

Fine so who's off limits?
Bryant
Rizzo
Arrieta

Who better bring back baseball baby Jesus?
Russell
Soler
Schwarber

Who can go for the right price?
Everybody else.

Do a trade. Anybody who disagrees is a strawman.

Who qualifies as a baseball baby Jesus? If you include Cole Hamels, fuck you. Get out of my life.

The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.