News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Let's look forward to the Cardinals Methocalypse  ( 157,167 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Let's look forward to the Cardinals Methocalypse
« Reply #435 on: July 08, 2015, 10:49:11 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on July 08, 2015, 10:13:05 AM
Quote from: SKO on July 08, 2015, 09:57:21 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on July 08, 2015, 09:42:57 AM
Quote from: SKO on July 07, 2015, 10:19:59 PM
The Cardinals broadcasters endless butthurt over that Russell single (that was fucking fair) will fuel me for days

I really want to hear it, but don't know what you were listening to. I can't find the endless butthurt. The two TV guys were iffy on it, but no real butthurt. Both radio guys thought it was fair.

I was watching the FSN Midwest feed. It was pretty amusing, they both said it was obviously foul to begin with, then retracted their statements once it the initial replay was obviously fair or at worst too close to call.

Then the Cubs took the lead and through the subsequent innings there was a slow build until that call became second only to Denkinger. The initial reaction was admittedly tame.

When I got to that part of the game, I switched feeds so I could listen to it.  One of them said it was fair, and subsequently changed his mind to foul, and the other said it was foul, and subsequently changed his mind to fair.  In any event, I thought butthurt was disappointingly thin on the ground.  They did, though, completely miss the fact that Maness had been ejected (as did Matheny), something that Len and JD identified as soon as it happened.

It was pretty fucking satisfying to see them come unglued like that. A borderline call goes the other way and the pitcher gets run in the back end of a doubleheader in which they're starting a pair of slapdick bums. Not a good look. The new pitcher comes in and gets the double play ball he needs, which he proceeds to fire into centerfield to give the Cubs the lead and allow a big inning. Was that a momentum shift of sorts? I don't fucking know. It would be awesome if young players looked at that and realized that the Cardinals are capable of being awful at the wrong time too and it translated into something tangible down the line. It probably only translated into a third victory out of 12 games. But it was fun to watch and think about and fire up the HOT TAKE machine and aim at the Twitbooks and etc.  
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #436 on: July 08, 2015, 11:48:14 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 08, 2015, 10:49:11 AM
The Cardinals broadcasters endless butthurt over that Russell single (that was fucking fair) will fuel me for days

I really want to hear it, but don't know what you were listening to. I can't find the endless butthurt. The two TV guys were iffy on it, but no real butthurt. Both radio guys thought it was fair.

I was watching the FSN Midwest feed. It was pretty amusing, they both said it was obviously foul to begin with, then retracted their statements once it the initial replay was obviously fair or at worst too close to call.

Then the Cubs took the lead and through the subsequent innings there was a slow build until that call became second only to Denkinger. The initial reaction was admittedly tame.

When I got to that part of the game, I switched feeds so I could listen to it.  One of them said it was fair, and subsequently changed his mind to foul, and the other said it was foul, and subsequently changed his mind to fair.  In any event, I thought butthurt was disappointingly thin on the ground.  They did, though, completely miss the fact that Maness had been ejected (as did Matheny), something that Len and JD identified as soon as it happened.

It was pretty fucking satisfying to see them come unglued like that. A borderline call goes the other way and the pitcher gets run in the back end of a doubleheader in which they're starting a pair of slapdick bums. Not a good look. The new pitcher comes in and gets the double play ball he needs, which he proceeds to fire into centerfield to give the Cubs the lead and allow a big inning. Was that a momentum shift of sorts? I don't fucking know. It would be awesome if young players looked at that and realized that the Cardinals are capable of being awful at the wrong time too and it translated into something tangible down the line. It probably only translated into a third victory out of 12 games. But it was fun to watch and think about and fire up the HOT TAKE machine and aim at the Twitbooks and etc.  

Yeah, those first 3 sentences summed up how my thoughts last night.  Things go a little sideways for once and suddenly the Cardinals become unglued like Cubs Twitter.  Very satisfying.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #437 on: July 08, 2015, 11:59:37 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 08, 2015, 11:48:14 AM

Yeah, those first 3 sentences summed up how my thoughts last night.  Things go a little sideways for once and suddenly the Cardinals become unglued like Cubs Twitter.  Very satisfying.

Not to mention Maness rhymes with anus, amirite?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #438 on: July 08, 2015, 11:59:51 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 08, 2015, 11:48:14 AM

A good summation. Probably close to 1000 words on how unfair life and baseball is if you're the St. Louis Cardinals.

https://twitter.com/dgoold/status/618801610593042432

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #439 on: July 08, 2015, 12:03:20 PM »
I am surprised that no one has commented on the most interesting part of yesterday's activities.  The seventh inning stretch featured Henry Rowengarten singing the seventh inning stretch.  That is usually never my favorite part of a game at Wrigley since the acoustics and the effort to coordinate a song sung by 38000 people don't lend themselves to a very musical event.  Nonetheless, Mr. Thomas did a decent job of singing, whereas most of the celebrities who are called upon to do that either are off key or forget the words, or both.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #440 on: July 08, 2015, 12:20:34 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 08, 2015, 12:03:20 PM
I am surprised that no one has commented on the most interesting part of yesterday's activities.  The seventh inning stretch featured Henry Rowengarten singing the seventh inning stretch.  That is usually never my favorite part of a game at Wrigley since the acoustics and the effort to coordinate a song sung by 38000 people don't lend themselves to a very musical event.  Nonetheless, Mr. Thomas did a decent job of singing, whereas most of the celebrities who are called upon to do that either are off key or forget the words, or both.

You must have missed the part where he sang "Take me out to the ballgame, take me out to the paaaar-."

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #441 on: July 08, 2015, 12:52:06 PM »

Y'all will be heartened to hear that at some point shortly after the stretch the guy had made it down to my area where he was approached by fans wanting to take pictures with him. At first I didn't know who he was but then gathered he was the guy who had just led the stretch--not that I knew who he was then, either, since I've never seen the movie as I was in my 20's when it came out and thus it missed my radar entirely (conversely, now that I'm a parent of young kids I rarely miss any of these new shitty kids movies). Nevertheless, the congregation around him directly in front of me prompted me to loudly remind everyone trying to get a selfie with the dude that the game was back on and I wished to see it without standing up and causing a ripple effect of every subsequent row behind me doing the same, basically inconveniencing an entire section.  The fans, being the same thoughtless jackholes that would rather take a picture with some C-list celebrity than take in the bottom of the 7th inning of a 1-run game between the Cubs and Cardinals, paid minimal to no attention to my pleas. For his part, however, Henry Whatshisname acknowledged this breach of etiquette and took it upon himself to inform the fans that if they wanted to take a picture they would need to squat down with him so those of us who couldn't give two shits about him could watch the game that we dragged our families down to the park and paid money for to watch.  

This Moment in Meatball History has been brought to you by Budweiser.  You're welcome.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #442 on: July 08, 2015, 12:54:12 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 08, 2015, 12:52:06 PM

Y'all will be heartened to hear that at some point shortly after the stretch the guy had made it down to my area where he was approached by fans wanting to take pictures with him. At first I didn't know who he was but then gathered he was the guy who had just led the stretch--not that I knew who he was then, either, since I've never seen the movie as I was in my 20's when it came out and thus it missed my radar entirely (conversely, now that I'm a parent of young kids I rarely miss any of these new shitty kids movies). Nevertheless, the congregation around him directly in front of me prompted me to loudly remind everyone trying to get a selfie with the dude that the game was back on and I wished to see it without standing up and causing a ripple effect of every subsequent row behind me doing the same, basically inconveniencing an entire section.  The fans, being the same thoughtless jackholes that would rather take a picture with some C-list celebrity than take in the bottom of the 7th inning of a 1-run game between the Cubs and Cardinals, paid minimal to no attention to my pleas. For his part, however, Henry Whatshisname acknowledged this breach of etiquette and took it upon himself to inform the fans that if they wanted to take a picture they would need to squat down with him so those of us who couldn't give two shits about him could watch the game that we dragged our families down to the park and paid money for to watch.  

This Moment in Meatball History has been brought to you by Budweiser.  You're welcome.

As a side note, last week my wife was driving in Staten Island and told some numbnuts in another car to "PAY THE FUCK ATTENTION!"
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #443 on: July 08, 2015, 12:56:44 PM »

That's the stuff!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #444 on: July 08, 2015, 12:57:13 PM »
I am surprised that no one has commented on the most interesting part of yesterday's activities.  The seventh inning stretch featured Henry Rowengarten singing the seventh inning stretch.  That is usually never my favorite part of a game at Wrigley since the acoustics and the effort to coordinate a song sung by 38000 people don't lend themselves to a very musical event.  Nonetheless, Mr. Thomas did a decent job of singing, whereas most of the celebrities who are called upon to do that either are off key or forget the words, or both.

Y'all will be heartened to hear that at some point shortly after the stretch the guy had made it down to my area where he was approached by fans wanting to take pictures with him. At first I didn't know who he was but then gathered he was the guy who had just led the stretch--not that I knew who he was then, either, since I've never seen the movie as I was in my 20's when it came out and thus it missed my radar entirely (conversely, now that I'm a parent of young kids I rarely miss any of these new shitty kids movies). Nevertheless, the congregation around him directly in front of me prompted me to loudly remind everyone trying to get a selfie with the dude that the game was back on and I wished to see it without standing up and causing a ripple effect of every subsequent row behind me doing th same, basically inconveniencing an entire section.  The fans, being the same thoughtless jackholes that would rather take a picture with some C-list celebrity than take in the bottom of the 7th inning of a 1-run game between the Cubs and Cardinals, paid minimal to no attention to my pleas. For his part, however, Henry Whatshisname acknowledged this breach of etiquette and took it upon himself to inform the fans that if they wanted to take a picture they would need to squat down with him so those of us who couldn't give two shits about him could watch the game that we dragged our families down to the park and paid money for to watch. 

This Moment in Meatball History has been brought to you by Budweiser.  You're welcome.

I grew up in the golden age of baseball movies for kids. Sandlot and Rookie of the Year came out when I was 5, then Little Big League and Angels in the Outfield came out the next year. I loved all of those movies and other than Sandlot (which totally holds up) I haven't watched any of them since I was a kid so as not to taint my fond memory of them.

That said, I couldn't give a shit about getting a picture with that dude and would have yelled down in front along with you, my meatball elder.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #445 on: July 08, 2015, 12:59:42 PM »

You never saw any of the American Pie movies?  I find that hard to believe.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #446 on: July 08, 2015, 01:12:22 PM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on July 08, 2015, 12:59:42 PM

You never saw any of the American Pie movies?  I find that hard to believe.

American Pie was a kids' move?  Man, no wonder your generation's so fucked up.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #447 on: July 08, 2015, 03:43:16 PM »
I've neither seen any of the American Pie movies nor ever had a desire to. I doubt either of these will change.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #448 on: July 08, 2015, 04:10:49 PM »
Quote from: Bort on July 08, 2015, 03:43:16 PM
I've neither seen any of the American Pie movies nor ever had a desire to. I doubt either of these will change.

I've never seen any Fast and Furious or Bourne Identity or Spiderman movies. This makes me a superior human being to all those who have. But the first American Pie isn't bad. If you get stuck watching it you may laugh.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #449 on: July 08, 2015, 04:20:54 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 08, 2015, 04:10:49 PM
Quote from: Bort on July 08, 2015, 03:43:16 PM

I've never seen any Fast and Furious or Bourne Identity or Spiderman movies. This makes me a superior human being to all those who have. But the first American Pie isn't bad. If you get stuck watching it you may laugh.

Out of all of these, I have only seen all 5 Spider-Man movies. Of which, if you add up the positive moments across the board, a cumulative total of slightly over two are pretty good.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck